Nobel Prize in Literature 2013 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davus

Reader
No problem. It's the same thing as my thinking that Rushdie is a good writer at all. Or has ceased to be one. Or that many male readers to this day (including on this board) are sexist pigs and they don't know it :p

And maybe the main reason is that it's easier to connect with the male point of view when you are a male reader. Yeah, that's possible. :p And obviously some male Nobel prize winners are also questionable (Le Clezio, for example). But it doesn't mean that you're sexiest pig if you think that Munro isn't as deserving as Ngugi. If it means this than I can also say that you're racist. :p

nonsequitur

Alexievich now finds herself at 4/5 in the Nobel betting. Presumably this means that the Swedish Academy have privately already made their minds up and have all gone down the bookmakers.

Bubba

Reader
Completely agree. Let's cut the crap in here and be completely honest. This is about good literature and not being politically correct. I'm sure there are great female voices out there to be discovered by literary majorities, but Oates, Atwood, Djebar, Munro, etc are not worthy.

I myself happen not to be a great fan of Munro's, but watch out, because she can sneak up on you. You can, for instance, be reading one of her stories, feeling slightly bored by the setting and annoyed by the characters, and then you realize all of a sudden that your pulse is racing and that you're right on the verge of breaking through to something that hadn't been evident to you before. I think her unconditional admirers are more attuned to these moments than I am and experience them more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.