Nobel Prize in Literature 2015 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uemarasan

Reader
El Saadawi had the most interesting movement this year on the list. I'll bet she's on the shortlist, if not the winner outright :p As far as I know, she hasn't been mentioned in any of the online Nobel discussions prior to the movement, so it's likely to be a leak. Like I said earlier, it's a fortuitous and perfect storm for the academy: female permanent secretary, female winner, Arabic writer, liberal Muslim. Also: well-translated in Swedish.

Daniel del Real

Now, here is a interesting tendency in the last three years at the Ladbrokes site on how the bets closed:

Ngugi Wa Thiong'o 7/2
Haruki Murakami 9/2
Svetlana Alexievich 6/1
Patrick Modiano 10/1
Ismail Kadare 10/1
Adonis 10/1

Svetlana Alexievich 4/5
Haruki Murakami 4/1
Joyce Carol Oates 7/1
Assia Djebar 7/1
Alice Munro 8/1

Haruki Murakami 6/4
Peter Nadas 5/2
William Trevor 7/1
Mo Yan 8/1
Alice Munro 8/1

So in the last three years, winner hasn't closed at the top three. Two 8/1 and Modiano 10/1

If this streak continues here is the overview for this year:

Svetlana Alexievich 3/1
Haruki Murakami 6/1
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o 6/1
Jon Fosse 10/1
Joyce Carol Oates 10/1
Philip Roth 10/1

That's what I think it will happen

Suavissimo

Do you really think they'd come back to North America so soon? It might really be the case that El Saadawi is about to take it, which would be such an interesting pick

Uemarasan

Reader
And my God, given the choice, I'd rather have El Saadawi win. Oates has written a lot of pretty terrible books, and nothing I can call an unquestionable masterpiece. Blonde is perhaps the most successful of her works. She really needs a better editor! Her prose can be execrable.

Daniel del Real

And my God, given the choice, I'd rather have El Saadawi win. Oates has written a lot of pretty terrible books, and nothing I can call an unquestionable masterpiece. Blonde is perhaps the most successful of her works. She really needs a better editor! Her prose can be execrable.

El Sadaawi seems a more viable pick. She is a feminist, a feminist not only in the Western culture, but within the culture of Islam. Her body of work has short stories, novels, memoir and non-fiction.
She has everything the Nobel Academy usually looks for. The only thing would be her age; not many laureates above 80 years old.

Suavissimo

My guess is you're right about the placement of the winner on the betting polls Daniel del Real, but I'm guessing we'll see El Saadawi rise closer to that spot in the final hours.

Taleb

Reader
My guess is you're right about the placement of the winner on the betting polls Daniel del Real, but I'm guessing we'll see El Saadawi rise closer to that spot in the final hours.

For me as an Arab, a dreadful choice; yes she may win the prize, not for the intention of the academy to highlight her other "literary works" which by the way is read very minutely(close to non), and it will be more on the feminist writings, which are very controversial and ludicrous to many arab thinkers. For me the laureate as i predict this year will be an niche unknown and uninteresting; Patrick Modiano proved to be an interesting choice as we can see that reviewers are still talking about him today after one year of his winning the prize as well as his books are in translation to English. Lets see.

Last edited:

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
A quick note to say that, when the announcement is made, this thread will be closed and a new one will be created to discuss the choice.

Daniel del Real

Half an hour from the announcement and surprisingly no one moved at Ladbrokes, meaning no leak this year. This will make it more interesting.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Following the announcement of the Nobel laureate in Literature for 2015, the speculation is over, and the discussion now moves to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.