Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoodoo

Reader
That's not jealousy but rather snobbery.

I know, but I doubt that when it comes to books, that many people here aren't snobbish in one way or another. I'm not saying that having strong opinions about literature is bad, I'm just saying that nobody here has yet nominated E.L James or J.K Rowling for the prize.

Vazquez

Reader
The "BREAKING NEWS" part nearly gave me a heart attack. For a moment I thought one of the candidates had died. *0000

Looks like I gotta do some research about Dylan :eek:

Sorry!

About Dylan: Blond on Blonde, Highway 61, Blood on the Traks are good places to start.

The Dylan prospect is getting momentum... the last 3 posts at facebook from the Nobel are:

Tagore... a poet in English language.
Toni Morrison: of course the black culture was determinant in Dylan's work.
Steinbeck... another American... great influence to Dylan... his greatest song, Desolarion Row, was inspired in Steinbeck's Cannery Row...

The clues say it all.

And everybody thought the jokes were over... sorry about that too!

hoodoo

Reader
An article from the french magazine the Nouvel Observateur : http://bibliobs.nouvelobs.com/actua...rature-qui-sont-les-favoris-des-parieurs.html
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, Delillo, Murakami and Adonis are mentionned as favorites. No surprises.

Another article from french newspaper Le Figaro : http://www.lefigaro.fr/livres/2016/...erature-2016-c-est-encore-loin-l-amerique.php

The Figaro article mentions an author that I haven't given much credit to, but would make an interesting choice as far as American writers go but who probably will never win, Russell Banks.

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

It's pure guesswork as to what type of writer (genre / language / national origin / etc) will win in any given year. Makes much more sense to guess which living writer(s) will be the next to win in each of those categories...Here are my thoughts, anyone else want to play the game this way?

I'm breaking it down by language: Which living writer(s) will win the prize writing in...

English? Ngugi will get it soon, perhaps this year. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie will probably get it, but not for another ten or fifteen years. In the meantime, I think they'll give it to an Indian writer writing in English - probably Rohinton Mistry or Amitav Ghosh...Arundhati Roy a dark horse if she keeps writing novels. Other potential medium-term wild cards - Anne Carson, Ursula K Le Guin, John Berger, Cormac McCarthy if The Passenger is great, or even Michael Ondaatje.

French? Marie NDiaye will get it, but it might take five or ten years. Dark horse: Patrick Chamoiseau.

Spanish? So many contenders but no clue who will get it, I think Marias will miss out, and most of the main Latin American contenders wouldn't appeal to the SA (Aira / Vallejo / Rey Rosa / Cohen / Bellatin / etc). So next one may be a poet - Ernesto Cardenal? Clara Janes?? Guadalupe Nettel has a great shot but it'll take a while.

German? So many great candidates but not sure which ones would appeal to the SA. Handke the elephant in the room won't get it due to the politics. If I had to bet, I'd bet on Emine Sevgi Ozdamar. Maybe Marcel Beyer or Ilija Trojanow or Ursula Krechel...Wouldn't be surprised to see no German-language writers for a while.

Portuguese? I still think Lobo Antunes has a chance. If not, next one will be Valter Hugo Mae or Mia Couto.

Italian? No clue...but if I had to bet on one I'd bet on Roberto Calasso. Or maybe Antonio Moresco?

Greek? Aris Fioretos a dark horse.

Japanese? Yoko Tawada will get it IMO.

Chinese? I think Bei Dao will get it soon...and Liao Yiwu has a great shot to get it one day.

Korean? Ko Un will not get it, but Hwang Sok-Yong has a good shot, or if not him then maybe Han Kang in a while.

Russian? Mikhail Shishkin will get it, perhaps soon.

Eastern European languages? Olga Tokarczuk will get it. One but only one of Nadas / Krasznahorkai / Cartarescu / Albahari / Ugresic will get it (too bad, all deserving)

Nordic languages? Sofi Oksanen has a shot but it'll take a while.

Hebrew? I still think they'll give it to either Amos Oz or David Grossman. But I also think Yoel Hoffmann is a strong dark horse, or a female writer like Zeruya Shalev or Ronit Matalon or Orly Castel-Bloom. Dror Burstein could be a good bet for the far future.

Arabic? No clue...if I had to bet I'd bet on Elias Khoury. Just as good a chance they give it to Abdelfattah Kilito or Amin Maalouf I guess.

Afrikaans? Either Marlene van Niekirk or Antjie Krog will get it.

English
Next one: Les Murray
Will eventually win it: Louise Erdrich (will be the next American) Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie
Will never win it: Roth, Pynchon, McCarthy, DeLillo, Oates, Ford, Ashbery, McEwan, etc.

French
Next one: Amin Maalouf
Will eventually win it: Marie N'Diaye, Éric Chevillard

Spanish
Next one: Javier Marías
Will eventually win it: Emiliano Monge
Will never win it: Juan Goytisolo, Juan Marsé, César Aira, Ernesto Cardenal, Nicanor Parra

Portuguese
Next one: Mia Couto
Will eventually win it: Goncalo M. Tavares
Will never win it: Lobo Antunes

Italian
Next one: Claudio Magris
Will never win it: Dacia Maraini

Chinese, Japanese, Korean
Next one: Hwang Sok-Yong
Will eventually win it: Bei Dao
Will never win it: H. Murakami, Ko Un

Eastern European languages
Next one: Laszlo Kraznahorkai
Will eventually win it: Olga Tokarczuk, Cartarescu
Will never win it: Peter Nadas, Kadare, Kundera

Nordic languages
Next one: Jon Fosse
Will eventually win it: Knausgard, Oksanen

Hebrew
Next one: David Grossman
Will never win it: Appelfeld, Yehoshua, Amos Oz

Clueless on the rest of the languages

Marba

Reader
Svenska Dagbladet did a similar thing as Dagens Nyheter and had a Nobel specultaion interview with their editor of the literature section.

Ngugi, Adunis and Murakami were first presented because they are top 3 at Ladbrokes and it was said that Ngugi or Adunis might win but that Murakami is not Nobel class. The editor then said that she thought Ko Un would win but if it was up to her it would be Anne Carson.

Sevastefo

Reader
French
Next one: Amin Maalouf
Will eventually win it: Marie N'Diaye, Éric Chevillard

Spanish
Next one: Javier Marías
Will eventually win it: Emiliano Monge
Will never win it: Juan Goytisolo, Juan Marsé, César Aira, Ernesto Cardenal, Nicanor Parra

Although I agree with much of your conjectures, I don't in the case of french or in spanish choices.
In the case of french authors, I think Ernaux, Quignard or Echenoz - any of them - is more likely to be awarded next, ahead of Maalouf.
In the case of spanish ones, I think Muñoz Molina has also more possibilities than Marias...And, anyway... who's Emiliano Monge?

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

Although I agree with much of your conjectures, I don't in the case of french or in spanish choices.
In the case of french authors, I think Ernaux, Quignard or Echenoz - any of them - is more likely to be awarded next, ahead of Maalouf.
In the case of spanish ones, I think Muñoz Molina has also more possibilities than Marias...And, anyway... who's Emiliano Monge?

Forgot Vila-Matas. They're from the same generation, so one of them will win it, ruining chances for the other two.
Emiliano Monge is a Mexican writer who's not even 40. This a shot for the long future, but check his novel Las Tierras Arrasadas, it should be available in English next year.

Liam

Administrator
Daniel, you list Tokarczuk twice under Eastern European and Nordic languages. Just out of curiosity though, why do you have such gloomy views of Nadas? I actually think he has a pretty good shot at winning the Nobel one day--

I like Daniel's list, to be honest. I have to read a lot of the names there, but based on the reputations I think they are plausible. I'm a little worried about Marie NDiaye. Some of the reviews I have read of her work haven't exactly been glowing - the rest, as far as I can tell, have really good to great chances. But we have a thread for future chances, don't we? We can toss that conversation there, no? And, while we are thinking about transferring the conversation there, I'm surprised that neither Ferante nor Knausgaard are popping up in those grand posts.

Thinking about tomorrow, I guess we are at the point now where we have to select our final guesses.

I want Erdrich or El-Saadawi to win. I sense that Erdrich might never win, sadly, though she should. Maybe her stuff needs to acquire a more international impact. I don't know about El-Saadawi's recent work. I've only been able to find one of her books, and fell for it entirely, and would do so again with any of her other books if I could find them, but I don't think she'll get it in the end.

Thinking practically, that narrows it down to really only three as far as I can tell. Ngugi, who I would like to win, and Adunis, who I would like to read more of, and Delillo, apparently, judging by this conversation at least, and I would like to get into reading his stuff though it scares me for some reason.

I'm going to take a stab. A prediction, if you will. Perhaps not all that bold in the selection, but I'm ok with being a little boring sometimes. I don't think this selection is a bad one after all - if I did I wouldn't be making it - and, though it might be seen as too political, I think it is also difficult to say that his work isn't of great significance in his language and, perhaps, around the world. It shocks me that so many I have found online aren't taken by the power of his works. I don't understand how one cannot be, but I guess it might be translation, or it might be one's personal preferences in verse.

Adunis.

Adunis, by this time tomorrow, will be the world's newest Nobel Laureate.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Another pitch for DeLillo...and Roth? Just let the man have his moment, don't bring up Roth!
https://newrepublic.com/minutes/137755/heres-fun-rumor-nobel-prize-literature

I haven't been paying close attention to the odds, but I think Fosse went down slightly at Unibet.

If it isn't wa Thiong'o or Adunis, I think it will be either Fosse or DeLillo. Or perhaps someone we've never really suspected.

Also, Daniel del Real posted this in last year's spec thread:

Ngugi Wa Thiong'o 7/2
Haruki Murakami 9/2
Svetlana Alexievich 6/1
Patrick Modiano 10/1
Ismail Kadare 10/1
Adonis 10/1

Svetlana Alexievich 4/5
Haruki Murakami 4/1
Joyce Carol Oates 7/1
Assia Djebar 7/1
Alice Munro 8/1

Haruki Murakami 6/4
Peter Nadas 5/2
William Trevor 7/1
Mo Yan 8/1
Alice Munro 8/1

So, was last year when the frontrunner won an anomaly and someone a bit lower down this year will win? (That would point to Fosse or DeLillo.) Or will it be like last year? The odds haven't moved too too much compared to 2013 or 2014, perhaps the winner was there all along again?

Daniel del Real

Daniel, you list Tokarczuk twice under Eastern European and Nordic languages. Just out of curiosity though, why do you have such gloomy views of Nadas? I actually think he has a pretty good shot at winning the Nobel one day--

Thanks for the heads up Liam. I meant Oksanen, however I shouldn't put her there as Suomi is not a Nordic language but Uralic, more related to Estonian or Magyar.

Nothing against Nadas (haven't even read him) but I think Krasznahorkai will be awarded in the next 5 years and that will put him out of contention.

Daniel del Real

Adunis.

Adunis, by this time tomorrow, will be the world's newest Nobel Laureate.

I hope you have a prophet's voice. From all the "plausible" contenders this year Adonis is my favorite; Ngugi would be great as well.
The worst case scenario is of course DeLillo.

Now, are we completely sure the Prize won't stay in Europe?

SØREN11

I think the odds are greater than any recent year (okay, 23 years to be precise) that we’ll be hearing the name of an American Nobel laureate announced tomorrow, and most likely a novelist. Are we finally outside of the ripples from aftershock of Engdahl's comments?

If we are to accept that teasing the laureate is a new practice by the academy, then the common thread between three of the four Facebook posts (Faulkner, Steinbeck, Morrison) is American novelist. Seems too odd of a coincidence that those three laureates would be selected to promote the award in the last 72 hours among all other laureates. (Of course, Tagore is the odd man out—but the Nobel Foundation routinely promotes their most popular laureates from time to time, and this could be a red herring.) So, if we take the “teasers” and odds and past speculation to be our clues, does it then suggest this is DeLillo’s year?

DeLillo is very popular in Scandinavia—his blend of comedy and tragedy, simplicity and complexity resonates. Frederic Jameson, a leading postmodern scholar, was P.S. Danius’s mentor. And, he most certainly takes risks in his fiction to varying degrees of achievement, e.g. there is a wide gulf between Underworld and Cosmopolis.

Or, on the other hand, does this mean Roth might have a chance? Lest we forget, Sabbath’s Theatre (the most Rothian of all Roth novels) was published in Sweden for the first time two years ago and he did some promotion for the work despite being retired.

Or, does McCarthy best typify American letters with his concerns about violence and borderland conflicts and the prevalence of the frontier mindset in modern times?

Otherwise, is the academy merely trolling us via Facebook, Twitter, betting odds, press leaks, etc? Like the reveal several years ago that they were placing phantom bets to mislead the booking chatter. That all seems in too much good humor for the Swedes. Likewise the publicity choices seem not idiosyncratic enough to be meaningless, or too specific to imply an unintended coincidence.

Under all the noise, however, the simplest possibility is the most probable as it’s all too easy to convince ourselves of the truth that we want to see, inductively. It’ll probably be Ngūgī wa Thiong'o, Murakami, Ko Un, or Adonis after all.

Personally, my eleventh hour hope is—if the award does in fact go to a North American—for an Anne Carson or Marilynn Robinson laureate.

Bottom line, if they put something out about Buck or Bellow or Sinclair Lewis in the next few hours, then I think we all know what to expect…

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Let's see, Tagore = Indian, Faulkner = brilliant prose, Steinbeck = Western America, Toni Morrison = Woman Novelist. I'm getting a strong Louise Erdrich vibe here: we can only hope.

Mise Eire

Reader
Going with DeLillo. A good median choice from among the array of US contenders. The almost quarter Century purgatory coming to an end, book-ended almost, it seems likely, by Clinton presidencies. Currently reading Underworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.