Nobel Prize in Literature 2016

peter_d

Reader
I have always thought that the age issue has to do with productivity of the author. A writer in their 80s is not likely to still produce a lot of new work, which is a drawback because it's always exciting when a nobel laureate publishes something new. On the other hand, when they are too young (say in their early 40s), their careers may develop in a direction that does not fit the idealistic ideas of the prize. This is probably why authors in their mid 60s to mid 70s have the highest chance of getting the Nobel Prize. Some statistics (just for fun):

The average age of laureates at the time of anouncement 64,47
The median age of laureates at the time of anouncement 67 (the exact middle of the range if you put them in order from youngest to oldest)
The modal age of laureates at the time of anouncement 67 (the most frequently occuring age, there were 8 who were 67 in their year)

Number of laureates in their 40s: 10
Number of laureates in their 50s: 28
Number of laureates in their 60s: 36
Number of laureates in their 70s: 32
Number of laureates in their 80s: 7

Maybe they gave it to Dylan because he was running out of time...

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
I don't know why you say, "fits my self proclaimed publishing criteria for winners (winners must be actively publishing new work, generally within 5 years or less of winning)." This is not your idea; this was already mentioned in an interview in regards to Claude Simon and Les Géorgiques.

Last edited:

peter_d

Reader
Dylan is hardly running out of time. The last 3 years in a row he's released a new studio album and toured globally for the majority of each year. In no way even remotely does it look like he's slowing down. He just released a triple album a few weeks ago and has many concert and festival appearances booked this year.

I meant running out of time as in not having the 'ideal' Nobel age anymore (as you could have derived from the rest of my post). After 75 chances of getting it are declining rapidly. I know he's not slowing down, he was in Amsterdam this week. In good shape. It was good to see that.

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
LOL.

Although Danius said, “När nu föreläsningen har levererats och gjorts offentlig, börjar Dylanäventyret gå mot sitt slut” looks like the wheels keep spinning.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...ke_from_sparknotes_for_his_nobel_lecture.html

Reminds me of something else she said, “Dylan has created his own poetic universe by stealing from others,” she added. “Anyone could steal you might say, but that does not imply that one can become a masterfully skilled thief.”

https://today.duke.edu/2017/04/how-win-nobel-prize-literature

peter_d

Reader
How would you translate the Swedish quote? Something like: Now that he has given his lecture and it's public, the Dylan adventure is ending? What's the point?

Sisyphus

Reader
All's well that ends well! :D

Now I'm really curious to see how this eight-month-long odyssey will reflect on this year's choice. I suspect this time around they're aiming for less controversy and a less polarizing laureate.

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
Peter, the irony of her post is she was stating something like, "The circus is over! You all said he was a poor sport and wouldn't delivery his speech. Well! Here you are! He's done it! He's great! Let's move on from this and look forward!" And now we see that this last part, the delivering of the speech, is opening up another can of worms. She can't catch a break with him.

peter_d

Reader
Thanks for explaining. I get it now. I hadn't read the article in the link that's why I didn't understand. Funny that people spend their time trying to prove plagiarism this way. I'm sure that if I had to paraphrase Moby Dick it's probably possible to find another summary of the same book with similarities in more than a couple of the sentences somewhere on the internet. The web is huge man! I know I'm not objective on Bob, but this is probably the most rediculous article I've read so far on the whole Nobel topic regarding him.

Stiffelio

Reader
Am I missing something somebody posted? I don't understand where is the plagiarism and who's is accusing Dylan of plagiarism.

Bartleby

I'm yet to learn the lesson to never even open any posts by this site with Dylan on the headlines. Someone willing to raise some money to pay for this guy's therapist?
Concerning the Danius book, it might not be such a revealing book, but it may be nice to read about, so I'm hoping it gets an English translation soon.

peter_d

Reader
Sigh... Orthofer would do himself a great favour if he would just stop whining about how bad the 2016 pick was.