Nobel Prize in Literature 2017 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Wild Reader
Non è ancora finita, ragazzi.

Hai ragione, amico. :) Ma non sono troppo ottimista!

Too bad, Dante, Magris was my first choice too. But like I said a while ago in this thread, because he was my first choice, he was probably doomed :p

Haha if so, next year remember to root for someone you really can't stand!

Beyond Danube, where should a reader go with Magris?

Blameless and Microcosmos are equally good. But if you want to appreciate his stature, I suggest you to read his academic works. He's an hell of an essayist!

I'm afraid this is the case. Knowing Sara, this is how it is going to be in the following years.

2016 Male singer
2017 Female Writer
2018 Male Painter
2017 Female Writer
2019 Male Photographer
2020 Female Writer

She might be trying to balance the number of female writers and male writers by sabotaging the latter.

LOL.

Dante

Wild Reader
Only 20'...I can't take it anymore.

After Dylan's fiasco, this year I wasn't that enthusiast about the prize anymore. But you guys literally overturned that feeling and I had real fun in these days! Thanks for that.

CapreseBoi

Reader
I have this feeling it's a Scandinavian. I'm gonna bet on Sirkka Turkka even if I just heard about her right this minute as I was reading the bettin list in Nicerodds lol.

Marba

Reader
Also, Lessing wrote science fiction. And Atwood, well...

On the sci-fi Horace Engdahl answered the question if a winner is aloud to write "bad books" and still win the Nobel in a talk show a couple of years ago and he brought up the sci-fi of Lessing as an example (together with some books from Grass I think) as literature he didn't understand but that if writers weren't aloud to write bad books also there would barely be anyone to give the prize to.

Ruuh

Reader
Does the "Did you know?" bit on their website change from time to time? Because now there are a lot of the clues posted before: only 14 women have won the literature prize, the oldest and youngest winner... and also the fact that 4 Literature Prizes have been divided between two persons. A shared prize between a young and old writer could be quite interesting.

peter_d

Reader
I can still access it. Delillo moved up to 10/1 (from 14/1, so nothing shocking). Some last minute betting is going on.

Dante

Wild Reader
So far, I'd say: El-Saadawi, Marías, Thiongo'o/Farah, Ko Un, Malouf.

But I hope I'm wrong, since I'm still rooting for Adonis and Magris!

Bartleby

Like it or not if it is Atwood it will be the perfect ocasion for them to bring back the general public's attention to the prize, I mean, after Dylan and all...

Status
Not open for further replies.