Nobel Prize in Literature 2018

Good choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liam

Administrator
Congrats, Dan. I keep meaning to get a Kindle, but I just enjoy the physical feel of a book so much...

A political act on my part, I suppose our friend JCamilo would say. Just think of all those trees that have to die to feed Liam's obsession! ?

Ludus

Reader
In my case I won just the five books, wich is allright for me because I already have a kindle :)
It´s the Langosta Literaria one, right?
Hope they don´t give us some good ol´ pieces of shit out of the warehouse that nobody wanted ?

Daniel del Real

In my case I won just the five books, wich is allright for me because I already have a kindle :)
It´s the Langosta Literaria one, right?
Hope they don´t give us some good ol´ pieces of shit out of the warehouse that nobody wanted ?
jajajaja yep, that's right. So I know your full name now. Your anonymity is no longer safe here :devilish:

To be honest I'm not interested at all in a Kindle. I refuse to read e-books. Guess I'll sell it and buy more phyisical books with the money.

Ludus

Reader
jajajaja yep, that's right. So I know your full name now. Your anonymity is no longer safe here :devilish:

To be honest I'm not interested at all in a Kindle. I refuse to read e-books. Guess I'll sell it and buy more phyisical books with the money.

Ha, but that is a double-edged sword, because I know your REAL name now... MR. DANIEL DEL REAL!
Wait...

Uemarasan

Reader
On my end, as Bartleby mentioned, If you’re on a smart phone, there should be an ellipsis next to the Report button. Edit is available in the pull-down menu.

I wonder who is responsible for the press copy of the winners. “Encyclopedic passion” is such an odd turn of phrase.

Bartleby

I wonder who is responsible for the press copy of the winners. “Encyclopedic passion” is such an odd turn of phrase.
it makes sense to me. Specially in regards to her so-called constellation novels, such as Flights, in which she writes about a vast selection of various areas of human knowledge.

Ludus

Reader
it makes sense to me. Specially in regards to her so-called constellation novels, such as Flights, in which she writes about a vast selection of various areas of human knowledge.
I´ve heard it might apply with "Drive your plow..." too, with themes such as poetry translation, astrology, ethics, detective novel tropes and animal rights.

Uemarasan

Reader
Oh, no doubt her work has encyclopedic qualities, but it seems more like a case of encyclopedic panache than passion. Anyway, far be it for me to deny the Swedish Academy an opportunity to indulge their literary aspirations ;)

JCamilo

Reader
Congrats, Dan. I keep meaning to get a Kindle, but I just enjoy the physical feel of a book so much...

A political act on my part, I suppose our friend JCamilo would say. Just think of all those trees that have to die to feed Liam's obsession! ?

I am not exactly a Kindle fan, in fact, "I don't own a kindle" is pretty much the best defense from independent authors who want to show me their great books in Amazon. In fact, "read a book, save a tree" may end as the best policy in the future here in Brazil...

Dante

Wild Reader
Congratulations to Daniel and Ludus for the win! Unfortunately I didn't hear about that contest before, I would have vote for Olga Tokarczuk too (Handke was too unpredictable, my 2019 pick was Krasznahorkai).
Btw I'm very happy about these two winners, I was afraid the Nobel Academy was going to choose two names only to say: "we're sorry, we want to fix stuff now". But after yesterday their statement sounds more like: "We choose good writers, despite what you think about them". I liked it.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
There is some merit to the criticism about The Books of Jakob being a little boring (at least for a few pages).

The novel's plot revolves around Jakob Frank (1726-1791), by turns Jew, religious leader, Christian, Muslim and Messiah. "Frank"'s meaning being foreigner, Olga plays with another messiah's famous saying: "no one is a prophet in his own land" by turning it into "a prophet must be a foreigner. He must have come from another land, or, at the very least, have fallen from heaven".

After a promising start, the next few dozen pages are hard work (Olga does indeed show off her encyclopedic knowledge of Jewish lore), until Haya and Jakob get together. At that point you feel like you're in the hands of a master storyteller, you can see the smiling way every detail feels pregnant with meaning, foreboding, irony or allusion.

For example, Haya joins the men in her father's room to participate in their debates (Aya's mother sighs, "if only Aya had been born a man, she'd be the wisest of my children"). This surprises Jakob, who's not used to this kind of thing: "in Turkey and in Walachia women know their place and men know better than to mix with them, because their innate place inside the lowest world, the material world, seeds chaos among the spiritual world." And then, in the very next scene, Tokarczuk shows Jakob and Aya in bed, and subtly and metaphorically points out how Jakob's future is going to evolve:

"The first night, as their custom mandated, Haya laid down on Jakob's bed. Her body was delicate, maybe a little too lean, her legs long, her pubis rough. They should have coupled silently, without useless ceremonies, and yet, Jakob caressed tenderly and repeatedly the young woman's supple belly, and every time her belly button felt hot like fire. As for her, she gently grasped his member on her hands, with ease, in order to tenderly coax it, almost as if unawares. Haya asked him about the steps needed to convert into the Turkish religion, what took the place of baptism, if some preparations were needed, how much did it cost, if Jakob's wife also abandoned Ismael's side and if women's lives were easier there; did their conversion protect them really? Even from the Polish authorities?"... (Les Livres de Jakob, Editions Noir sur Blanc, 2018, chapter 15).

Last edited: