Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLewis

Piblo

It's even worse: half of the winners since 2013 write in english. Shameful.
And yes, I know, it's ironic having this forum on pure english. But it is really absurd that they have such a narrow focus, even more so with so many languages in the world (and I am not even talking about non-hegemonic languages, but popular languages such as Mandarin, Portuguese or Russian).

Piblo

being honest, I'd like to think that they won't be so english-oriented for this year. But... who knows... Maybe John Banville still has a chance.

alik-vit

Reader
And yes, I know, it's ironic having this forum on pure english. But it is really absurd that they have such a narrow focus, even more so with so many languages in the world (and I am not even talking about non-hegemonic languages, but popular languages such as Mandarin, Portuguese or Russian).
I'm not sure about really strong Russian contender right now.

alik-vit

Reader
She's not bad, just not Nobel-calibre.
Exactly. Sometimes she is bad. Because last decade or something she published a lot of "notes on napkins" (short stories, fair tales, short dramas, etc). But even in her best things she is not Nobel-calibre. Ulitskaya is much more solid author with more even and deep authorship, but .... I don't know, I have very limited knowledge here.

Seelig

No the writer that won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2000, and that wrote the masterpiece "Soul Mountain" (La Montagne de l'Âme), a book you must absolutely read, if you haven't!
Yeah, but I was being ironic, because my point is that language is the nationality of a writer despite his passport or political status (Gao is a Chinese writer, not a French one; Brodsky is a Russian poet, etc). I have read and loved “La montagne de l’âme” (Chinese as hell!) and also “Le livre d’un homme seul” (extraterritorial as hell, but deeply Chinese despite having been finished dans le Vème arrondissement parisien or whatever).

Status
Not open for further replies.