Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhead

Blahblahblah
(Cusk, according to @redhead ? post Curious to know more)

Mainly a combo of:

-Her being one of the committee member’s favorites (https://www.worldliteratureforum.co...literature-2022-speculation.66632/post-175436)

-Her coming up once in the library (I don’t recall if she had a bunch out, I just remember they were due back in like September and it was June)

-The SA keeping up with her new releases in said library

-A general gut feeling

And I also read Outline a few years ago and recall enjoying it.

nagisa

Spiky member
Ah, you got Cusk from @Marba ! Another precious forum voice. And another author for the list. Thanks for the pentapartite response!

(I don't remember: was Can Xue in the library?)

redhead

Blahblahblah
Ah, you got Cusk from @Marba ! Another precious forum voice. And another author for the list. Thanks for the pentapartite response!

(I don't remember: was Can Xue in the library?)

Np! And yeah going by the library info in the first post she had 7 books out in 2020 and 6 in 2021. I also remember that at one point she was in a similar position with Cusk, where it was June and she had some books due back in August or September (the public can only take books out for one month periods).

Liam

Administrator
Before anyone asks who is Celeste Olalquiaga...
I really, really enjoyed her little book The Artificial Kingdom! An entirely convincing argument on why we are so obsessed with physical objects/trinkets that are of seemingly little value yet provide a form of escapism for [most of] us. Her little interwoven vignettes about her "pet" hermit crab encased in glass whom she names Rodney were something else! ?

nagisa

Spiky member
Np! And yeah going by the library info in the first post she had 7 books out in 2020 and 6 in 2021. I also remember that at one point she was in a similar position with Cusk, where it was June and she had some books due back in August or September (the public can only take books out for one month periods).
Thanks! I'm reassured the tea leaves aren't spent for her.

(I wonder how the Chinese-speaking world would react to her winning... She's not a Mo Yan-like party writer, but neither a Gao-like visible dissident.)

Leseratte

I really, really enjoyed her little book The Artificial Kingdom! An entirely convincing argument on why we are so obsessed with physical objects/trinkets that are of seemingly little value yet provide a form of escapism for [most of] us. Her little interwoven vignettes about her "pet" hermit crab encased in glass whom she names Rodney were something else!
Poor crab! And after Dylan, who knows she might have a chance?;)

Weejay

I read an Ouredník novel called EUROPEANA some years ago when it was gently trendy among a certain set of Literary Types and actually found it quite brilliant. I believe Dalkey Press just reissued it. It's hard to describe but highly recommended. But I haven't read anything else.
Oh yeah I forgot to write that it was Europeana that became a theatre play here in Sweden.

Leseratte

I wonder if any one outside Wlf ever guessed Noble chances by the number of borrowed books per author.

Ben Jackson

It’s a terrible shame that Dubravka Ugresic passed. It seems to my mind, now more than ever, there is something extremely prescient, necessary and enlightening about her essays especially, but not to exclude her entire oeuvre these days. I truly believe that her untimely demise came before the Academy was able to fully appreciate her outstanding contributions to both literature and criticism.

Other authors who just fascinate me beyond measure: Michal Ajvaz (such satisfying literature, labyrinthine and erudite, a new magical realism) and I will never not have a great admiration for Mia Couto as well. (Jergović and Drago Jancar surely must be on the Academy’s radar by now as well. Garielle Lutz. Oksana Zabuzhko…)

Late Sara Danius wrote an essay on Baba Yaga Laid an Egg (the essay is in Svenska Dagbladet, issue is that it's Swedish and it's behind paywall) back in 2009. I wouldn't be surprised if Ugresic was shortlisted with Tokarczuk back in 2018. Missed Ugresic though, she could have been a great winner.

Ben Jackson

It’s a terrible shame that Dubravka Ugresic passed. It seems to my mind, now more than ever, there is something extremely prescient, necessary and enlightening about her essays especially, but not to exclude her entire oeuvre these days. I truly believe that her untimely demise came before the Academy was able to fully appreciate her outstanding contributions to both literature and criticism.

Other authors who just fascinate me beyond measure: Michal Ajvaz (such satisfying literature, labyrinthine and erudite, a new magical realism) and I will never not have a great admiration for Mia Couto as well. (Jergović and Drago Jancar surely must be on the Academy’s radar by now as well. Garielle Lutz. Oksana Zabuzhko…)

I wonder if any one outside Wlf ever guessed Noble chances by the number of borrowed books per author.

Before I became a member, I guessed Tokarczuk and Gluck's wins. Handke was in my top five list as well (I think the writer I tipped that year was Marias).

Nirvrithi

Reader
Two authors you are rooting for the most to win:
Antonio Muñoz Molina
Ida Vitale
Raúl Zurita
Hugo Mujica
Cristina Peri Rossi
Antonio Gamoneda
Luis Britto García
María José Ferrada
Anyone writing in Spanish
(Also fuck the rules)

Two authors you think are most likely to win:
Jon Fosse
Lyudmila Ulitskaya

One author you think will win one day, just not this year:
Laszlo Krasznahorkai, Ana Blandiana, Gerald Murnane

One author you don't want to win (and why):
Murakami... I just don't like his writing that much tbh

Who would be your choice for a shocking longshot winner (like Gurnah a couple of years ago)?
Tan Twan Eng, Yang Lian

Which authors would you not mind seeing being awarded a however improbable double win?
Martín Caparrós & Leila Guerriero

Which new authors have you discovered and enjoyed as a result of recommendations provided by Forum members?
Scholastique Mukasonga, Ismail Kadare, Ben Okri
I
Antonio Muñoz Molina
Ida Vitale
Raúl Zurita
Hugo Mujica
Cristina Peri Rossi
Antonio Gamoneda
Luis Britto García
María José Ferrada
Anyone writing in Spanish
Ida Vitale should have won a long time ago, but now that she is into her late nineties, she is almost ruled out. Advancing age could work against Antonio Gamoneda too just as for the two most deserving poets of Asian origin - Adonis and Ko Un. I know it is unfair to put Adonis and Ko Un on the same pedestal, but the scandal apart, Ko Un would have been an automatic choice from the Asian region purely on literary merit. If you are still in doubt, read his philosophical/mystic novel "The Little Pilgrim".

Johnny

László Krasznahorkai / Jon Fosse

Some one from Latin America

Mikhail Shishkin

Haruki Murakami

Who would be your choice for a shocking longshot winner (like Gurnah a couple of years ago)?

Andrei Kurkov or Hamid Ismailov

One author you'd selfishly like to win because you own some nice books of theirs and you'd make other Forum members jealous:

M T Vasudevan Nair

Which authors would you not mind seeing being awarded a however improbable double win?

Ana Blandiana / Mircea Carterescu ( My first thought was Krasznahorkai and Peter Nadas , which is already mentioned by a couple of us)

Which new authors have you discovered and enjoyed as a result of recommendations provided by Forum members?

Many, Ibrahim Al-Koni , Antonio Moresco , Salim Barakat etc
Shishkin would be a great choice but I agree probably not this year. But who knows, this war could go on a long time and that shouldn’t necessarily rule out every Russian exiled writer with strong anti Putin sentiments.

The Common Reader

My ex reading all these posts about you being against another English language writer this year (or even in the next couple of years) would be completely in agreement; I, on the other hand, while understanding that it may be unfair that English is the current universal language and therefore has more visibility, try to trust that the SA will make their choice based on the quality of an author's oeuvre, regardless of language, nationality, gender etc... and thus will always praise the laureate, provided that it seems indeed that the selection was based on the writing's and body of work's merit. Even if it results in people using the same language winning the prize 5, 10, however many years in a row. Just my 2 cents.
I appreciate your insights here, and I share your hope that the SA will remain focused on the quality of the author's work. But to give you an idea of why I wrote "anyone writing in English" in response to the question One author you don't want to win (and why), I would simply say that a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words: 1694979816976.png

I feel it is time to learn and read languages other than English. I share the concerns about the overwhelming dominance of English that Mizamura Minae makes in her Fall of Language in the Age of English. See M. Orthofer's review for a helpful summary: https://complete-review.com/reviews/japannew/mizumuram2.htm

And I concede that I am aware of the irony of trying to make this point on a forum where English is the lingua franca. Nor am I under any illusion that an award of two from the Nobel committee will stem the tide. I do, however, think that the SA has an obligation to attend to different voices in the world beyond English and beyond the other major European languages spoken by the vast majority of the award's recipients.

Last edited:
Murnane and Krasznahorkai

Fosse and Nadas.

Krasznahorkai

There's no one like that I think would win anyway

John Crowley, not even a longshot, a no-shot, or Pierre Senges, or a cartoonist like Spiegelman

One author you'd selfishly like to win because you own some nice books of theirs and you'd make other Forum members jealous:
pass

Krasnahorkai, Nadas

Kadare,
Carterescu

Liam

Administrator
Any thoughts on Colum McCann? I looked briefly at his Apeirogon today and it looked interesting. Has anyone read him?

redhead

Blahblahblah
Any thoughts on Colum McCann? I looked briefly at his Apeirogon today and it looked interesting. Has anyone read him?

I’ve read Let the Great World Spin, Transatlantic, and a short story collection, Everything in this Country Must.

Great World was a good novel, though overhyped. It told a number of interlinked stories, and at times fell back on cliches for support. Transatlantic didn’t really work for me—he tried the same thing again with the interlinked stories but it didn’t really cohere. As for the collection, I read it a while back and recall liking it, though it didn’t leave much of an impression.

If his other books are more like Great World, I could see him having a chance. If they’re more on the level of Transatlantic, then probably not.

Liam

Administrator
^I get the sense (from what you're saying) that he's good, but also a little "lightweight" when compared to the real heavyweights around the world. I was mainly interested in him because of the Irish/American connection, and he used to teach creative writing at my old school in NYC! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.