Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamishe22

They should reward Salman Rushdie and someone from Iran (let's say, Mahmoud Dowlatabadi) together. This would be a statement from the Swedish Academy!
If they want to ruin that person's life. They will be forced to turn the award down but then the opposition will forever call them a regime stooge unfairly.

I think Dowlatabadi is a dogshit writer but he's a very sweet and lovable man (I've known him since I was a small child) and I really don't want his life to be ruined like that.

Benny Profane

What about the odds on Ladbrokes?
Does someones have any access by the link? I can't access it, neither by VPN.

Last edited:
Can Xue
8/1
Haruki Murakami
12/1
Gerald Murnane
14/1
László Krasznahorkai
14/1
Jon Fosse
16/1
Lyudmila Ulitskaya
16/1
Margaret Attwood
16/1
Mircea Cartarescu
16/1
Pierre Michon
16/1
Salman Rushdie
16/1
Thomas Pynchon
16/1
Anne Carson
20/1
César Aira
20/1
Dag Solstad
20/1
Don DeLilo
20/1
Edna O'Brien
20/1
Ersi Sotiropoulos
20/1
Garielle Lutz
20/1
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
20/1
Peter Nadas
22/1
Andrey Kurkov
25/1
Bushra al-Maqtari
25/1
Emmanuel Carrere
25/1
Homero Aridjis
25/1
Hwang Sok-yong
25/1
Hélène Cixous
25/1
Karl Ove Knausgaard
25/1
Mia Couto
25/1
Michel Houllebecq
25/1
Mieko Kanai
25/1
Norbert Gstrein
25/1
Sebastian Barry
25/1
Ryszard Krynicki
28/1
William T. Vollmann
28/1
António Lobo Antunes
33/1
Carl Frode Tiller
33/1
Colson Whitehead
33/1
David Grossman
33/1
Edmund White
33/1
Hamid Ismailov
33/1
Han Kang
33/1
Ismail Kadare
33/1
Ivan Kilma
33/1
Jamaica Kincaid
33/1
Joyce Carol Oates
33/1
Mahmoud Dowlatabadi
33/1
Marie NDiaye
33/1
Marilynne Robinson
33/1
Martha Nussbaum
33/1
Maryse Conde
33/1
Nuruddin Farah
33/1
Robert Coover
33/1
Robert Macfarlane
33/1
Scholastique Mukasonga
33/1
Yan Lianke
33/1
Alexis Wright
40/1
Amitav Ghosh
40/1
Ivan Vladislavic
40/1
Linton Kwesi Johnson
40/1
Vladimir Sorokin
40/1
Wendell Berry
40/1
Ali Smith
50/1
Both Strauss
50/1
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
50/1
Claudio Magris
50/1
J.K. Rowling
50/1
Ko Un
50/1
Murray Bail
50/1
Stephen King
50/1
Yu Hua
50/1
Zoe Wicomb
50/1

Leseratte

But surely on those grounds an argument could be made for a double award for Both Strauss, considering how closely they have colaborated...seriously, though, I've always liked the idea of a double award, but I think that you have pointed out a very good reason to avoid this practice.
Botho Strauß might even consider the idea of changing his first name a bit, if that might bring him a double award;).

Leseratte

Can Xue
8/1
Haruki Murakami
12/1
Gerald Murnane
14/1
László Krasznahorkai
14/1
Jon Fosse
16/1
Lyudmila Ulitskaya
16/1
Margaret Attwood
16/1
Mircea Cartarescu
16/1
Pierre Michon
16/1
Salman Rushdie
16/1
Thomas Pynchon
16/1
Anne Carson
20/1
César Aira
20/1
Dag Solstad
20/1
Don DeLilo
20/1
Edna O'Brien
20/1
Ersi Sotiropoulos
20/1
Garielle Lutz
20/1
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
20/1
Peter Nadas
22/1
Andrey Kurkov
25/1
Bushra al-Maqtari
25/1
Emmanuel Carrere
25/1
Homero Aridjis
25/1
Hwang Sok-yong
25/1
Hélène Cixous
25/1
Karl Ove Knausgaard
25/1
Mia Couto
25/1
Michel Houllebecq
25/1
Mieko Kanai
25/1
Norbert Gstrein
25/1
Sebastian Barry
25/1
Ryszard Krynicki
28/1
William T. Vollmann
28/1
António Lobo Antunes
33/1
Carl Frode Tiller
33/1
Colson Whitehead
33/1
David Grossman
33/1
Edmund White
33/1
Hamid Ismailov
33/1
Han Kang
33/1
Ismail Kadare
33/1
Ivan Kilma
33/1
Jamaica Kincaid
33/1
Joyce Carol Oates
33/1
Mahmoud Dowlatabadi
33/1
Marie NDiaye
33/1
Marilynne Robinson
33/1
Martha Nussbaum
33/1
Maryse Conde
33/1
Nuruddin Farah
33/1
Robert Coover
33/1
Robert Macfarlane
33/1
Scholastique Mukasonga
33/1
Yan Lianke
33/1
Alexis Wright
40/1
Amitav Ghosh
40/1
Ivan Vladislavic
40/1
Linton Kwesi Johnson
40/1
Vladimir Sorokin
40/1
Wendell Berry
40/1
Ali Smith
50/1
Both Strauss
50/1
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
50/1
Claudio Magris
50/1
J.K. Rowling
50/1
Ko Un
50/1
Murray Bail
50/1
Stephen King
50/1
Yu Hua
50/1
Zoe Wicomb
50/1
Corrected:
"António Lobo Antunes
33/1"

Last edited:

Abhi

Alexis Wright seems very interesting to me. But according to her wiki page, she has only four novels and one short story collection. Even if the quality of writing is supreme, is the quantity even enough to be seriously considered for the Nobel?

I have found so many readers gushing about Carpentaria and am definitely going to pick it up soon.

Last edited:

Marba

Reader
And they probably will never reward two people together again. It's been 49 years now since the last time it happened so they clearly don't want to do it.

I don't understand it (especially that in a way they did something similar 4 years ago when Tokarczuk and Handke were rewarded in the same year and it did not diminish the significance of the reward for any of them). I know that Tokarczuk and Handke got the full award and not half of it but money are not that important, are they? ;)

I got the feeling that many perceived Tokarczuk's award to be overshadowed by the Handke controversy. (Also mentioned by @Leseratte I just noticed)

If that were the case, these would be my favorite "combos":

1. Krasznahorkai and Nádas
2. Murnane and Malouf
3. Fosse and Knåusgard

Also, three Wolfie laureates are there... what a coincidence! ?

Witness the power of the Wolfie

Maybe the Wolfie will be mentioned in the list of earlier awards if anyone of them is awarded on Thursday? ?

Why do you guys thing Ngugi wa Thiong'o hasn't won? Do you think the SA might be of the opinion that his contributions are more cultural (as in considerably increasing the representation of a continent amidst world literature) than purely literary?

I remember having read somewhere in a Swedish forum (and it's all probably completely made up, but as this is the speculation thread I'll post it anyway) that someone said he (or someone he knew) had met Horace Engdahl and specifically asked about Ngugi of whom Engdahl said that the SA simply did not think he was good enough and could not understand how he could be considered among the favourites every year.

Personally, I have preferred what I have read from Nuruddin Farah over what I have read from Ngugi.

Last edited:

Marba

Reader
What do you think are the chances of Theodor Kallifatides? Born in Greece, Swedish citizen writing mostly in Greek but also in Swedish.
I haven't read him but lately there has been a few of his books translated to Spanish with positive reviews.

Kallifatides has been mentioned as a possible SA member.

I remember he criticised the Gurnah award in a TV show as he considered Gurnah to not be good enough. Instead he suggested to read someone great like Selma Lagerlöf or Albert Camus.

Marba

Reader
Does anyone maybe @Marba ? has access to this paywalled article? It's a recent interview in which Olsson seems to call the members who left during the crisis cowards... interested to know if he says some other important things about how the prize has progressed over these years and how it's being handled right now...

I had access to it at the office!

Yes, Anders Olsson thinks that SA members like Klas Östergren and Peter Englund who had people close to them who had been affected by Katarina Frostenson's husband's improper conduct should have told the SA earlier so that they could have handled it in a better way instead of them leaving the SA when the allegations reached media. Olsson also says things should have been communicated in a better way by Sara Danius as KF's husband had not commited sexual crimes within the SA, which was how it was understood by the world.

Olsson also calls the postponement of the 2018 Nobel Prize "completely irrational" and says that the SA has recovered surprisingly fast and that it would have taken much longer time if there had been problems of sexual harrasment or rape within the organisation. He says the 2018 postponement made it worse as it was an indirect admittance of the problems, but the pressure was too big from the Nobel Foundation and the leaving members so nothing else could be done.

The SA has taken a common decision not to talk about the crisis period and the Dutch interview Olsson did was an exception. The mood in the SA is now calmer but some things are still tense. Olsson says he will write in the future about his memories from this period for the SA's archive and thinks others will as well, and that it then will be up to the SA to decide what it wants to do with these texts and if they should be made public.

Peter Englund and Klas Östergren declined to comment on the article.

Last edited:

Leseratte

I got the feeling that many perceived Tokarczuk's award to be overshadowed by the Handke controversy. (Also mentioned by @Leseratte I just noticed)
Just answering Marba.
I do indeed, although I should have mentioned that in her case the prize wasn´t halved. She received the award of the year 2018 in 2019, while Handke received the award for 2019 the same year. So there wasn´t any splitting of the prize.

Leseratte

Yes, Anders Olsson thinks that SA members like Klas Östergren and Peter Englund who had people close to them who had been affected by Katarina Frostenson's husband's improper conduct should have told the SA earlier so that they could have handled it in a better way instead of them leaving the SA when the allegations reached media. Olsson also says things should have been communicated in a better way by Sara Danius as KF's husband had not commited sexual crimes within the SA, which was how it was understood by the world.

Olsson also calls the postponement of the 2018 Nobel Prize "completely irrational" and says that the SA has recovered surprisingly fast and that it would have taken much longer time if there had been problems off sexual harrasment or rape within the organisation. He says the 2018 postponement made it worse as it was an indirect admittance of the problems, but the pressure was too big from the Nobel Foundation and the leaving members so nothing else could be done.

The SA has taken a common decision not to talk about the crisis period and the Dutch interview Olsson did was an exception. The mood in the SA is now calmer but some things are still tense. Olsson says he will write in the future about his memories from this period for the SA's archive and thinks others will as well, and that it then will be up to the SA to decide what it wants to do with these texts and if they should be made public.

Thanks for summing up the article, Marba.

nagisa

Spiky member

Olsson also calls the postponement of the 2018 Nobel Prize "completely irrational" and says that the SA has recovered surprisingly fast and that it would have taken much longer time if there had been problems off sexual harrasment or rape within the organisation. He says the 2018 postponement made it worse as it was an indirect admittance of the problems, but the pressure was too big from the Nobel Foundation and the leaving members so nothing else could be done.

Thanks for this ! Interesting that this is reporting an interview that Olsson did to a Dutch newpaper. I definitely think this is just a PR thing though, to speak about it without too much immediacy, and not a coded clue to Nooteboom.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.