Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbid Swither

I liked this video, and am encouraged by her view that she has a lot more writing to come!:
I actually posted this a few pages back. No matter. But yes, I really adore her! That’s all I’m emphasizing. She’s absolutely darling, and her books are really just visionary. I’m not saying her style is akin, per se, but one of the most exhilarating reading experiences since Toni Morrison, for me.

Ludus

Reader
*rubs hands*

If you have the endurance, the Alvaro Mendiola trilogy (Marks of Identity, Count Julian, and Juan the Landless). It is an insane trip that rips right through Francoist Spain down to Morocco, where the crazed, word-stuffed narrator finds some kind of peace in perversion, in the absolute sense; the joy of turning everything upside down.

If it's just one, Landscapes After the Battle, which is basically hysterical grand-remplacement paranoia fiction a couple of decades early. Terroristic fun, both thematically and linguistically.

In a minor key: The Virtues of the Solitary Bird, which is his AIDS novel; or in an explicitly political fun key, The Marx Family Saga.

Also his memoirs, "Coto vedado" and "En los reinos de Taifa" are also amazing

Americanreader

Yiz, imagine to listen several times to Dylan’s Christmas albums!
I like the Christmas album, I think it hits on my favorite thing about Christmas music that other Christmas albums don’t convey. That is that the best thing about it is singing it with people you love. Your Dad (or maybe just mine) who can’t hit a note, your friends whose voices run rings around yours, everyone is having fun singing together celebrating the birth of Christ/the holiday season, and all feel warm and fuzzy. Dylan’s craggy old voice sitting among the clean 50s sounding backing vocals really exemplifies that idea of togetherness in the Christmas season to me.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I like the Christmas album, I think it hits on my favorite thing about Christmas music that other Christmas albums don’t convey. That is that the best thing about it is singing it with people you love. Your Dad (or maybe just mine) who can’t hit a note, your friends whose voices run rings around yours, everyone is having fun singing together celebrating the birth of Christ/the holiday season, and all feel warm and fuzzy. Dylan’s craggy old voice sitting among the clean 50s sounding backing vocals really exemplifies that idea of togetherness in the Christmas season to me.
You'll love this beauty by Tom Waits then: Silent Night

Seelig

Well yes, but I was being ironic about the poetry in that… compared to “Blonde on blonde” or “Blood on the tracks”, both very Nobel-ish writing, IMO

tolkoizplesa

Hello! Been trying to post here for a while, but couldn't confirm my email. Thanks for a very interesting discussion!
This year, I've been betting on a Central European / Southeastern European author win — Péter Nádas, Laszlo Krasznahorkai, Mircea Cărtărescu. Given that there have already been two Hungarian Nobel prizes this week, I think Cărtărescu has better chances. I would also add Georgi Gospodinov, but maybe he's still too young.

As a Russian national, I'd love to see a win for Vladimir Sorokin, Maria Stepanova or Lyudmila Petrushevskaya, but considering the current status of everything Russian, I don't think it's their year, though in my opinion all three are very deserving.

Also, I don't think I saw Julian Barnes being mentioned? I'd love to see him being awarded the Nobel.

Phil D

I don't know why so many people enjoy Alex Shephard's article every year (that apparently isn't happening this year). I mean, it's just your typical juvenile undergraduate piss take based on the odds list. It's really not that funny, never mind insightful or intriguing. He's just a random guy on the Internet. So are we. But we're not getting paid for our speculations and we don't have a load of people hanging on our word. It's absurd to me, the following this guy has.
I reliably find it laugh-out-loud funny and can quote lines from previous years' articles from memory ?‍♂️

Piblo

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update you all that I've been collaborating with a digital magazine. This year, like in previous years, we've published a series of articles about potential Nobel Prize winners. These articles include quotes and a brief profile of the author. I encourage you to read them, even though they are in Spanish. You can always use Deepl to translate them.

Here are the two authors we've covered so far:

1. Raul Zurita: https://katabasisrevista.com/2023/10/03/de-camino-al-nobel-raul-zurita/
2. Karl Ove Knausgard: https://katabasisrevista.com/2023/10/03/de-camino-al-nobel-karl-ove-knausgard/

Thanks!

Daniel del Real

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update you all that I've been collaborating with a digital magazine. This year, like in previous years, we've published a series of articles about potential Nobel Prize winners. These articles include quotes and a brief profile of the author. I encourage you to read them, even though they are in Spanish. You can always use Deepl to translate them.

Here are the two authors we've covered so far:

1. Raul Zurita: https://katabasisrevista.com/2023/10/03/de-camino-al-nobel-raul-zurita/
2. Karl Ove Knausgard: https://katabasisrevista.com/2023/10/03/de-camino-al-nobel-karl-ove-knausgard/

Thanks!
Muchas felicidades, siempre es gratificante ver quién está detrás de estos nombres y avatares del foro. Después los leeré con más calma.

Ben Jackson

Don't SA members ever buy books themselves. Or use a Kindle or something?
Sometimes, they purchase from their native bookstore, after the books has been translated to their native tongue Swedish. Other times, they borrow the books from the library through the librarian

Abhi

A random Nobel question: When a new Nobel laureate is announced, how do you read them? Do you pick up their most recent works? Or their most celebrated, famous, awarded books? Or do you get others' opinions as to how to get to their most representative works?

Or rather the question should be: how did you do it with the past winners?

I remember Mo Yan and Alice Munro had asked readers to pick up their recent/latest books.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.