Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Jackson

A random Nobel question: When a new Nobel laureate is announced, how do you read them? Do you pick up their most recent works? Or their most celebrated, famous, awarded books? Or do you get others' opinions as to how to get to their most representative works?

Or rather the question should be: how did you do it with the past winners?

I remember Mo Yan and Alice Munro had asked readers to pick up their recent/latest books.

Usually, I start from the key works mentioned by the Nobel Committee in their presentation speech/lecture. As fro the case of Gurnah, I started with the book that was available: Pilgrim's Way.

Ben Jackson

Hello! Been trying to post here for a while, but couldn't confirm my email. Thanks for a very interesting discussion!
This year, I've been betting on a Central European / Southeastern European author win — Péter Nádas, Laszlo Krasznahorkai, Mircea Cărtărescu. Given that there have already been two Hungarian Nobel prizes this week, I think Cărtărescu has better chances. I would also add Georgi Gospodinov, but maybe he's still too young.

As a Russian national, I'd love to see a win for Vladimir Sorokin, Maria Stepanova or Lyudmila Petrushevskaya, but considering the current status of everything Russian, I don't think it's their year, though in my opinion all three are very deserving.

Also, I don't think I saw Julian Barnes being mentioned? I'd love to see him being awarded the Nobel.

You're welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around.

Liam

Administrator
Think about this: if you will be FORCED to read the entire production of this year’s laureate, who will you really like to win the thing? (Lobo Antunes, really? Rushdie, anyone?).
Or Joyce Carol Oates *shudder* nothing against Oates, she is actually a lovely person, but she's written like a gazillion books!!! ?‍?

I can almost hear the sighs of relief when the likes of Alexievich or Ishiguro win, LOL.

Marba

Reader
I noticed that Horace Engdahl just recently released a new book, "Tram Journeys with Mr. Hume", described as a dialogue with the Scottish 18th-century philosopher on the tram to Gothenburg.

If Horace has focused a lot on David Hume recently it could point to him pushing/voting for (who?) in this year's Nobel deliberations?

Think about this: if you will be FORCED to read the entire production of this year’s laureate, who will you really like to win the thing? (Lobo Antunes, really? Rushdie, anyone?).

Jhumpa Lahiri, Jamaica Kincaid.

I've been reading a bit of both lately. I can certainly see why Kincaid's name has come up in speculation - she has that thematic consistency across her work which the academy really go for. I was rather impressed, actually.

And Lahiri is just... exemplary.

And neither have huge number of books to read, so being forced to read them would be fine!

Dante

Wild Reader
Personally, I am CRAVING to read more Antonio Moresco, and would be up for reading his shopping lists if they’re translated to English. Hoping a Nobel will urge publishers to secure translations of his epic works.
It always fascinates me when a writer has more international recognition than in his own country. In Italy, Moresco is indeed considered a good author, but not the absolute master he's depicted abroad, like in France or the US. And he can't deal with that!
In recent years, he became a bit of a joke in the Italian publishing world, since he never misses an opportunity to complain about being not enough considered in his homeland. Just two years ago he wrote this long letter to whine about it (once again).

He's a great writer, he simply doesn't have readers in Italy. I'm just surprised that such a mind cannot accept one of the oldest rules ever:
Nemo propheta in patria.

Bartleby

Good morning (or whatever other time of day ?) to all! 24 hours till the announcement!!

On another note, it's a bit sad that this year, so far at least, the media doesn't seem to be very interested in the Nobel in Literature prize... People have already mentioned the lack of coverage by Alex Shephard (whatever one thinks of his articles, they did bring more visibility to the prize); then we're not even seeing those Swedish prediction articles... I hope we get some as the day unravels...

The Common Reader

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update you all that I've been collaborating with a digital magazine. This year, like in previous years, we've published a series of articles about potential Nobel Prize winners. These articles include quotes and a brief profile of the author. I encourage you to read them, even though they are in Spanish. You can always use Deepl to translate them.

Here are the two authors we've covered so far:

1. Raul Zurita: https://katabasisrevista.com/2023/10/03/de-camino-al-nobel-raul-zurita/
2. Karl Ove Knausgard: https://katabasisrevista.com/2023/10/03/de-camino-al-nobel-karl-ove-knausgard/

Thanks!
¡Enhorabuena!

Benny Profane

Well, yesterday I discovered the name of Luís Serguilha, Portuguese poet based in Brazil.
His works are quite and oddly experimental, full of anachronisms, neologisms, sincretism between Hinduism, Sufism and Budhism and Philosophic theories from India and Middle-East, contemplation of nature and, of course, are extremely hard to read.
His books are quite huge, always containing 800++ pages.
His purpose is to do a work which builds a relation between art, dance and science of body and moviments by a dense and complexe overview (including indirect stream of counciousness).

I know him is a complete obscure poet, but if we have some patience with his name, I think he could be more known worldwide.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a personal website and the informations about his bibliography are innacurate and his body of works is spread over the Internet. I read that his works are translated into English (but I didn't find any works translated into English), Spanish, German and Catalan and his body of work consists in 12 books of poetry and essays.

PS: 120 pages and counting...

Davus

Reader
Any last day thoughts?

Theoretically man from Europe is the most probable, I guess. They've never rewarded two women in a row so far (but I guess that there's first time for everything). And in the last 10 years we had 3 laureates from North America (Munro, Dylan, Gluck), one born in Africa (Gurnah) and one born in Asia (Ishiguro) and only two men born in Europe (Modiano and Handke) and historically they rewarded European men most often so maybe it's time for the next one. And probably new laureate isn't writing in French (one year after Ernaux they might choose another language and obviously English is their most typical choice - 5 from the last 10 laureates writes in this language).

I still think that it might be a Norwegian year but who knows?

Ben Jackson

I noticed that Horace Engdahl just recently released a new book, "Tram Journeys with Mr. Hume", described as a dialogue with the Scottish 18th-century philosopher on the tram to Gothenburg.

If Horace has focused a lot on David Hume recently it could point to him pushing/voting for (who?) in this year's Nobel deliberations?

That reminds me, have you read Per Wastberg recent books about his reflections on writers and writing and as member of Swedish Academy (the first is called, I think, Reading and Writing, the other been Views from Chair No.12)? I have been trying to look for English translations for these books, but I have failed. Who knows, maybe these books might reveal his insights into some writers connected to Nobel Prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.