Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was more referring to what critic 3 says about old European man.
This is not possible as the Critic 3 talk after the Critic 2...

And for say the truth, reading the post, I have the impression that none of the 3 "Critic" has never read one line of one book from M. KRASZNAHORKAI!.. ?

Stevie B

Current Member
I was looking to read a second Yan Lianke book and just came across this one where he discusses, among other things, books that had the greatest influence on him. Unfortunately, it's not currently available on archive.org. I wonder if many books get added after an author wins the Nobel.

1696498756535.png

Abhi

It would be fantastic to get two female laureates in a row! Rooting for Can Xue, Duong Thu Huong and Yoko Tawada.

meepmurp

Long time since a playwright got one... (well sure Handke have written some plays etc.)
What are your thoughts on:
  • Tom Stoppard
I'd rather not - though he does "fit the profile" in a somewhat dated sense. I also remembering hearing a rumor once that the year Pinter won the prize, something like the Writer's Guild of Great Britain received a phone call from the Swedish Academy that was essentially like, "Pinter or Stoppard." And apparently the answer was "Pinter, obviously."
  • Caryl Churchill
Obviously THIS IS THE BIGGEST YES FOR ME. All I think I do here is proselytize for Caryl Churchill.
  • Alan Ayckbourn
A really wonderful technician and entertaining writer, but ultimately too light for the academy I reckon.
  • Suzan-Lori Parks
Interesting idea but likely a no. She's very influential and highly regarded in the States but I find it difficult to see her work and themes translating.
  • Yasmina Reza
Another writer who "fits the profile," but I'd really much rather she didn't. She's sort of the epitome of bourgeois drama masquerading as more intellectually interesting that it truly is. See: Art and God of Carnage. They're fun but ultimately lightweight.
  • Mark Ravenhill
An interesting person to see on this list but his work has really fallen off since his hey-day in the 90s, when he was sort of posterboy/man/child for the "in-yer-face" movement. But I think Sarah Kane remains the most interesting writer of that era - in fact, I suspect the era was really just a vehicle for her intense and intensely influential work - but, of course, she's no longer with us.
  • Martin Crimp
Similar to Ravenhill. It's a no for me.
  • Fernando Arrabal
Don't know this person but eager to learn more.
  • Roland Schimmelpfennig
I am a little on the fence about Schimmelpfennig, who is a very prolific and popular German dramatist who has actually churned out a few just-okay novels (in my opinion!) in the last decade. Some of his plays are interesting (and kind of Reza-esque) but I wouldn't say they have been on the level of say... CARYL CHURCHILL. I don't quite see it happening any time soon but then, if I squint, I kind of can? I think if he managed to write something(s) especially ambitious and mammoth and awesome in the next decade or so, this could happen. But there are some other German dramatists out there who I think could wind up edging him out beforehand - e.g. Rainald Goetz, Lukas Barfuss, Dea Lohrer.
Anyone else? (any prominent non-english playwrights you can think of (other than Fosse)?
The issue here with a question like this is that a "playwright" is really a Western/European concept. Most non-western "theatre cultures" are actually director-centric unless they're working in a kind of adapted western tradition. Sometimes you will have a prose writer or poet who "dabbles" with some success. That said, I have heard really excellent things about Juan Mayorga (Spain) and Wadji Mouawad (France). Younger folks with future potential? Maybe Guillermo Calderon (Chile), Jonas Hassan Khemiri (Sweden).

Piblo

Hey guys, as we get closer to the Nobel Prize announcement, I wanted to share my thoughts.

I've been mulling it over, and I really think Durs Grünbein has a good shot at taking home the prize. We did a piece on the guy in our magazine, and he's got all the makings of a Nobel laureate! https://katabasisrevista.com/2023/10/04/de-camino-al-nobel-durs-grunbein/

I know everyone's talking about China, but I have a hunch that the winner will be a European writer who might come from a country with less press like Hungary, Portugal, Bulgaria, or Romania. I'm really hoping it's someone I can get one of his/her books in my town.

Of course, it's impossible to say for sure who the academy will choose. There are so many great nominees out there, it's anyone's guess. But personally, I'm rooting for one of my top five picks, or Grünbein, or really anyone who can introduce me to some fresh new literature.

Weejay

Okay... Only 17 more minutes.
This year I think Jon Fosse or Can Xue will get it
but I really hope László Krasznahorkai will get it

A dark horse would be Raúl Zurita, would be interesting 50 years after the coup in Chile, even if the academy shouldn't take such historical things into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.