Oceanos 2022

Leseratte

65 finalists: 45 Brazilian writers, 12 from Portugal, 5 from Angola, one Portuguese- Angolan, one from Angola and one from Cap Vert.
Some titles of interest:
A new Mia Couto: O caçador de elefantes invisíveis( The hunter of invisible elephants)

Valter Hugo Mãe(Portugal): As doenças do Brasil( The illnesses of Brazil)

Andréa Del Fuego (Brasil): O pediatra (The Pediatrician) finalist of the Jabutí and the Oceanos may possibly win one of both awards.

Tatiana Salem Levy (Brazil)Vista chinesa (Vista Chinesa) is also finalist of both awards.

Marçal Aquino-Baixo esplendor( Low magnificence)

The English titles are merely the translation of the original ones.

Last edited:

Leseratte

The ten finalists:
Name Author Editor Genre/Nationality

Líbano, labirinto, de Alexandra Lucas Coelho – Editorial Caminho – Crônica portuguesa

Maremoto, de Djaimilia Pereira de Almeida | Relógio D’Água – Romance português

Museu da Revolução, de João Paulo Borges Coelho | Editorial Caminho e Kapulana – Romance moçambicano

O livro do homem líquido, de Pedro Pereira Lopes | Gala-Gala Edições – Conto moçambicano

O som do rugido da onça, de Micheliny Verunschk | Companhia das Letras – Romance brasileiro

Quarentena – Uma história de amor, de José Gardeazabal | Companhia das Letras Portugal | Romance português

Quem tá vivo levanta a mão, de Maria Fernanda Elias Maglio | Patuá – Conto brasileiro

Risque esta palavra, de Ana Martins Marques | Companhia das Letras – Poesia brasileira

Tornado, de Teresa Noronha | Exclamação – Romance moçambicano

Vista Chinesa, de Tatiana Salem Levy | Todavia e Elsinore – Romance brasileiro

I don´t think any one of them is translated to English as yet

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

The ten finalists:
Name Author Editor Genre/Nationality

Líbano, labirinto, de Alexandra Lucas Coelho – Editorial Caminho – Crônica portuguesa

Maremoto, de Djaimilia Pereira de Almeida | Relógio D’Água – Romance português

Museu da Revolução, de João Paulo Borges Coelho | Editorial Caminho e Kapulana – Romance moçambicano

O livro do homem líquido, de Pedro Pereira Lopes | Gala-Gala Edições – Conto moçambicano

O som do rugido da onça, de Micheliny Verunschk | Companhia das Letras – Romance brasileiro

Quarentena – Uma história de amor, de José Gardeazabal | Companhia das Letras Portugal | Romance português

Quem tá vivo levanta a mão, de Maria Fernanda Elias Maglio | Patuá – Conto brasileiro

Risque esta palavra, de Ana Martins Marques | Companhia das Letras – Poesia brasileira

Tornado, de Teresa Noronha | Exclamação – Romance moçambicano

Vista Chinesa, de Tatiana Salem Levy | Todavia e Elsinore – Romance brasileiro

I don´t think any one of them is translated to English yet
Cheering for one of the three Mozambican writers on the list.

Benny Profane

The list is better than the list of Jabuti's finalists. In my humble opinion, it's more fair.
It encompasses some independent minor Publishing Houses such as Kapulana and Patuá, for example, and some unknown names.

Leseratte

It seems that Jabutí contemplates only Brazilian oeuvres, while the Oceanos includes all Portuguese speaking countries.
I see here that Vista Chinesa has been translated into English, with the same title Portuguese title.
It seems that Vista Chinesa is a reference to a park in Rio de Janeiro.

Leseratte

But we have a name from Editora Patuá on that list.
I know very little about the modern editors but I see what you mean. It´s an independent Brazilian editor, that was included and not a big editing company. They chose the book and not the editor.

Benny Profane

I know very little about the modern editors but I see what you mean. It´s an independent Brazilian editor, that was included and not a big editing company. They chose the book and not the editor.

I know, my dear, but on the Prêmio Jabuti, for example, the editors always chose books by Companhia das Letras or Editora Record and the same famous names.

I think young and unknown writers who published their books by minor Publishing Houses have no visibility and no incentives for publishing their books when they can see that the same people always win all the literary prizes here in Brazil.

It's my case, for example. My book of poetry collection is almost finished but I have no incentives for publishing it, because I'm not on intelectual groups or clubs (the "panelinhas") and I'm from Northeast (and for those clubs, I need to publish under the rules of Regionalism Movement or under the same stereotypes of people from Northeast, ie backwardness, poverty, Cordel, Magical Realism, poor Portuguese language as a "dialect", etc).

For example, if a famous author publish a whole book in blank and I publish some innovative poems, I (a nobody man) won't have the same chances of winning Jabuti.

Last edited:

Leseratte

I know, my dear, but on the Prêmio Jabuti, for example, the editors always chose books by Companhia das Letras or Editora Record and the same famous names.

I think young and unknown writers who published their books by minor Publishing Houses have no visibility and no incentives for publishing their books when they can see that the same people always win all the literary prizes here in Brazil.

It's my case, for example. My book of poetry collection is almost finished but I have no incentives for publishing it, because I'm not in intelectual groups or clubs (the "panelinhas") and I'm from Northeast (and for those clubs, I need to publish under the rules of Regionalism Movement or under the same stereotypes of people from Northeast, ie backwardness, poverty, Cordel, Magical Realism, poor Portuguese language as a "dialect", etc).

For example, if a famous author publish a whole book in blank and I publish some innovative poems, I (a nobody man) won't have the same chances of winning Jabuti.
I know @Benny Profane. In Brazil one has to be discovered by someone that is famous. One possibility would be to start with a modest editor, but avoiding the stereotyped editions. The other possibility: if you know a famous influencer, ask for a You Tube session where you can read some of your poems to the public. Your poetry has to attract attention.

Leseratte

And the winners are:
  • Líbano, labirinto, Alexandra Lucas Coelho (Portugal), Editorial Caminho (chronicels)
  • Museu da Revolução (Museum of the Revolution), João Paulo Borges Coelho (Mozambique), Editorial Caminho e Kapulana, (novel).
  • O som do rugido da onça, Micheliny Verunschk (Brazil), Companhia das Letras (novel). It also received the Brazilian Jabutí award

Last edited: