Portuguese Poet Nuno Judice awarded Queen Sofia's Poetry Prize

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I recently wrote somewhere else (cough, Concocted Forest, cough) about what a mean and exacting judge of literary merit the great poet Philippe Jaccottet is. Well, Jaccottet's favorite Portuguese poet, Nuno Judice has been granted Spain's Queen Sofia's Prize for Poetry:

http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2013/05/16/actualidad/1368703749_282000.html

Former winners include the very summits of contemporary Spanish and Portuguese language poetry.

Gonzalo Rojas (Chile)
Claudio Rodriguez (Spain)
Joao Cabral de Melo Neto (Brazil)
Jose Hierro (Spain)
Angel Gonzalez (Spain)
Alvaro Mutis (Colombia)
Jose Angel Valente (Spain)
Mario Benedetti (Uruguay)
Nicanor Parra (Chile)
Sophia de Mello Breyner (Portugal)
Jose Manuel Caballero Bonald (Spain)
Juan Gelman (Argentina)
Antonio Gamoneda (Spain)
Blanca Varela (Peru)
Jose Emilio Pacheco (Mexico)
Ernesto Cardenal (Nicaragua)
Nuno Judice (Portugal)

And so that you can judge Judice by yourself, a clumsy translation by yours truly:

Plano/Plan

I'm writing a poem about a hypothesis:
the first half of love poured into life's cup
we could drink in one gulp. The bottom half
is like a cloudy wine, and leaves a bitter taste
in the mouth. I ask where they went, love's glass
clarity, its initial liquid purity, the impulse
to drink the whole bottle, and the answer
are these glass shards cutting our hands,
the dirty table of the soul full of debris, harsh
words, a feeling of exhaustion. I return, then,
to my first theory. Love. But without hurry
this time, waiting for time to fill your glass up
so that it can be raised against the light of your body
and perceive through it, the whole of your face.

Trabalho o poema sobre uma hipótese: o amor
que se despeja no copo da vida, até meio, como se
o pudéssemos beber de um trago. No fundo,
como o vinho turvo, deixa um gosto amargo na
boca. Pergunto onde está a transparência do
vidro, a pureza do líquido inicial, a energia
de quem procura esvaziar a garrafa; e a resposta
são estes cacos, que nos cortam as mãos, a mesa
da alma suja de restos, palavras espalhadas
um cansaço de sentidos. Volto, então, à primeira
hipótese. O amor. Mas sem o gastar de uma vez,
esperando que o tempo encha o copo até cima,
para que o possa erguer à luz do teu corpo
e veja, através dele, o teu rosto inteiro.

Daniel del Real

I was about to post this too Cleanthess, but apparently I cannot beat you :). It was surprising to see a Portuguese name in a prize that usually is granted to a Spain or Latin American poet, but I think variety is what brings greatness to an award and although it's the first time I've heard about this guy I applaud their decision. I read a few verses included at the article of El País, and also your translation (thanks by the way) and it seems a very interesting author, the kind of poet I enjoy. I'll try to find a Spanish translation.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I'm glad you liked my translation Senor Del Real. I learned about Nuno Judice from one of my top ten favorite living writers, Philippe Jaccottet, who likes him a lot: 'le poète portugais Nuno Judice, que j’ai découvert lors d’une lecture donnée en Espagne et qui m’a beaucoup touché'.
http://www.culturactif.ch/entretiens/jaccottet.htm

I'm very happy Nuno Judice won this prize because he is an outstanding love poet and the Reina Sofia Prix has a lot of credibility, so perhaps Nuno will soon become better known among Spanish readers. Also, 50 grand are nothing to sneeze at :) .

Daniel del Real

Ah Jaccottet is another poet I haven't read and that seems immensely interesting. Sometimes I'm hesitant of poetry in translation and as there are so many truly excellent poets in Spanish, for the last few years I've been reading them. I'm about to finish the complete works of José Emilio Pacheco, 850 pages that I've been reading since last January and that has been quite a ride. For the second part of the year probably I'll alternate between César Vallejo & Caballero Bonald (If I'm able to find his complete works somewhere). However there are some exceptions, like Ferreira Gullar's Poema Sucio, which I read a couple months ago and I found it incredibly good even in translation (I assume translations from Portuguese to Spanish can flow very good due to its similarities).

Heteronym

Reader
So many Portuguese poets it's hard to keep up with them. I never read Nuno Júdice, but I'm always glad to see a Portuguese writer get some recognition abroad.