Recent Nobel Prize misses

S Johnson

Sorry if you have got fed up by Nobel Prize talk by now but this is a question I just couldn't get out of my head.

A recurrent critique against the Swedish Academy is of course the long list of authors who should have got the Nobel Prize but never did. It seems to me that the critique is just as often very justified (Joyce, Woolf etc.) as not fair at all (Kafka…).

Interestingly the previois Permanent secretary Horace Engdahl once said that in retrospective about 75% (I’m not sure this was the exact figure but it was something like that) of the old laureates should not have been awarded and he also admitted that future readers and critics may well be just as hard to the contemporary Academy’s choices. Naming those eternal classics already today is clearly not an easy task (Even though a few early choices of the academy were clearly the result of incompetence, everyone including the contemporary members can agree on this)…

Anyway, in the last few years the age of the laureates have often been quite old and a guy like Harold Pinter was nearly missed (he passed away only three years after being rewarded). Neither Lessing nor Munro will probably be around for much longer either. This reminds me of another interview with the infamous Engdahl in which he mentioned a few names that he thinks would have deserved the prize but sadly had been missed. These were if I’m not incorrect Derrida, Kapuscinski and Sebald (I think that there was a fourth name there as well but I can’t remember who).

This brings me to the question: Which authors that has passed away more recently (Let’s say that lived at least twenty years back in time) do you think will be judged by future readers as great misses by the academy?

I myself have a soft spot for both Kapuscinski and Sebald. But I might also mention Inger Christensen (died in 2009), Marguerite Duras (1994), Chinua Achebe (earlier this year) and Gitta Sereny (2012).

What do you think? I’m eager to hear!

M

maidenhair

You should maybe reformulate your topic, as it is, it does not make much sense... what you really want to ask is probably which authors we think worthy of the prize even if they did not get it

Daniel del Real

Carlos Fuentes (2012), Miguel Delibes (2010), Ernesto Sabato (2011), Harry Mulisch (2011), Antonio Tabucchi (2012)
All of those losses happened in only 3 years. So sad.

peter_d

Reader
The Academy members have stated this recently, there's so many good potential laureates these days that choosing one will inevitably mean someone else doesn't get it who's deserving.

Accepting this fact will help to see the prize in the right perspective. In my view the list of laureates is a sample taken from a much larger population of great writers and poets.

Yves Bonnefoy (2016) and Hugo Claus (2008) and all the other ones mentioned in this thread could just as well have fallen into the sample.

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
Most "misses" that people like to complain about aside from like Borges, Nabokov, and maybe Achebe are explainable by age at death or lack of nomination. There's a section on the actual Nobel site where an Academy member addresses this. For many decades the Academy members didn't want to use their ability to nominate authors , which can partially explain why many famous authors were never nominated or chosen. For instance, the very first year the prize was awarded, when lots of people think Tolstoy should have won, he wasn't even nominated. Instead due to the early nature of the nominating system French literati flooded the nominations with ones for Prudhomme, who ended up winning.

First of all, Tolstoy was nominated, as seen here. https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/archive/show_people.php?id=9303 Unless you're referring specifically to 1901, though I have my suspicious he was nominated for the inaugural prize.

Members of the Academy (specifically, the chair) didn’t agree with Tolstoy’s revolutionary stance and thought he was too dangerous to established societal conventions, so they wouldn’t “support” his beliefs by awarding him.

“Since 1901, when the Swedish Academy awarded its first Nobel prize– to the aging French poet Rene Sully-Prudhomme, instead of to the Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy (who never won it, because, in an assessment the committee later made public, he preached "theoretical anarchism and mystical Christianity")– it has become something of a tradition, in Sweden and beyond, to attack the decisions, motives, intellect, and ethics of the people who award the prize. (After Sully-Prudhomme's election, forty-two Swedish writers issued an open letter denouncing the prize and paying tribute to Tolstoy.)”

As for Borges, “Politics was clearly a problem for Borges, and Knut Ahnlund, among many others, regards his omission as unforgivable. "Borges got an award from Pinochet as an old man," Ahnlund said, with genuine anger. "That was enough to keep Latin America's greatest writer from ever winning the prize." Ahnlund added, "Of course politics matters. Look at the list. If you celebrated Stalin in Sweden, that was fineyou could win the Nobel Prize. But God help you if you were infatuated with Nazi uniforms as a little boy. Because then you were disgraced for the rest of your life."

I am quoting from this article, http://www.michaelspecter.com/1998/10/the-nobel-syndrome/ which has soundbites from various members of the academy, before the internet took off, and they realized they couldn’t speak freely, though this surely didn't stop Ahnlund regarding a certain woman.

One can heartily speculate Grass read this article.

errequatro

Reader
Sorry if you have got fed up by Nobel Prize talk by now but this is a question I just couldn't get out of my head.

A recurrent critique against the Swedish Academy is of course the long list of authors who should have got the Nobel Prize but never did. It seems to me that the critique is just as often very justified (Joyce, Woolf etc.) as not fair at all (Kafka…).

Interestingly the previois Permanent secretary Horace Engdahl once said that in retrospective about 75% (I’m not sure this was the exact figure but it was something like that) of the old laureates should not have been awarded and he also admitted that future readers and critics may well be just as hard to the contemporary Academy’s choices. Naming those eternal classics already today is clearly not an easy task (Even though a few early choices of the academy were clearly the result of incompetence, everyone including the contemporary members can agree on this)…

Anyway, in the last few years the age of the laureates have often been quite old and a guy like Harold Pinter was nearly missed (he passed away only three years after being rewarded). Neither Lessing nor Munro will probably be around for much longer either. This reminds me of another interview with the infamous Engdahl in which he mentioned a few names that he thinks would have deserved the prize but sadly had been missed. These were if I’m not incorrect Derrida, Kapuscinski and Sebald (I think that there was a fourth name there as well but I can’t remember who).

This brings me to the question: Which authors that has passed away more recently (Let’s say that lived at least twenty years back in time) do you think will be judged by future readers as great misses by the academy?

I myself have a soft spot for both Kapuscinski and Sebald. But I might also mention Inger Christensen (died in 2009), Marguerite Duras (1994), Chinua Achebe (earlier this year) and Gitta Sereny (2012).

What do you think? I’m eager to hear!
The fourth name is (I think, but not sure), Roberto Bolano. (sorry for the lack of the accent on the "n", my Spanish-speaking friends).

Papageno

Apart from some of the writers already mentioned, those I can think of are: Javier Marías, Michel Tournier, Friederike Mayröcker and maybe Chinua Acebe (I admit that from him I only read Things Fall Apart, but that book in its moving and powerful simplicity impacted me profoundly -- I don't know about his other works). I have read some beautiful poems by Adam Zagajewski, but not enough to form a judgement on whether I should consider him great.

I just also have to add that I hope that the Nobel committee will get there priorities sorted out soon, and that the great António Lobo Antunes will not be remembered as one of the "misses", but rather as one of the most deserving laureates (and of course I wish him many happy and healthy years to come).

PS. I also want to add that in spite of what was implied in the original post from 2013, Alice Munro is still alive in 2022! While she may no longer be publishing, I am happy that she got many years to enjoy her well earned success.

Neither Lessing nor Munro will probably be around for much longer either.

Leemo

I've only read 4 of DeLillo's works, but when I compare them to the works of other Nobel Laureates I've read, I've found nothing at all lacking. Granted, I've yet to read anything by his compatriots Pynchon, Gass, Gaddis, Foster Wallace, etc. so maybe DeLillo less unique than I think...

Ben Jackson

As we celebrated International Women's Day, here are female writers who made it to short list for Nobel Prize:

Anna Akhmatova
Eliza Orzeskowa
Karen Blixen

Other Names Rumoured for the Nobel Prize shortlist

De Beauvour
Elsa Morante
Iris Murdoch
Natalie Sarraute
Marguerite Duras
Marguerite Yourcenar
Inger Christensen
Assia Djebar
Anne Carson
Joyce Carol Oates
Margaret Atwood
Christa Wolf
Helene Cixous
Can Xue
Dubravka Ugresic
Rachel Cusk

Famous Names that has been nominated for the Nobel Literature (these writers have been confirmed but there weren't shortlisted)
Edith Wharthon (1926, 28, 30)
Ethel Handel Richardson (Fortunes of Richard Mahony (1939)
Gertrude Von Le Fort (1950)
Muriel Spark
Sophie Breyner Anderson (probably in 1998)
Nawal El-Saadawi
Edith Sitwell (1958)
Anais Nin (1976)
Dorothy Parker (1948)
Colette (1948)
Janet Frame (1998, 2003)
Frederike Mayrocker (2004)
Katherine Anne Porter (1966)
Cora Sandel (1949 Alberta Trilogy)

Leseratte

As we celebrated International Women's Day, here are female writers who made it to short list for Nobel Prize:

Anna Akhmatova
Eliza Orzeskowa
Karen Blixen

Other Names Rumoured for the Nobel Prize shortlist

De Beauvour
Elsa Morante
Iris Murdoch
Natalie Sarraute
Marguerite Duras
Marguerite Yourcenar
Inger Christensen
Assia Djebar
Anne Carson
Joyce Carol Oates
Margaret Atwood
Christa Wolf
Helene Cixous
Can Xue
Dubravka Ugresic
Rachel Cusk

Famous Names that has been nominated for the Nobel Literature (these writers have been confirmed but there weren't shortlisted)
Edith Wharthon (1926, 28, 30)
Ethel Handel Richardson (Fortunes of Richard Mahony (1939)
Gertrude Von Le Fort (1950)
Muriel Spark
Sophie Breyner Anderson (probably in 1998)
Nawal El-Saadawi
Edith Sitwell (1958)
Anais Nin (1976)
Dorothy Parker (1948)
Colette (1948)
Janet Frame (1998, 2003)
Frederike Mayrocker (2004)
Katherine Anne Porter (1966)
Cora Sandel (1949 Alberta Trilogy)
I am not a supporter of a single woman´s day but thank you for this nice homage which costed you some research, Ben!