Robert Frost, Stopping by woods on a snowy evening

Hans Rysdyk

Last evening I watched a 2019 X mas performance by the Mormon Tabernacle choir and as part of the introduction the above poem was recited, after which the presenter gave his interpretation which was somewhat different from most others which I have read, so I went on line and reviewed a few of those analyses. What struck me this time is that several of these reviews referred to a rider and his horse, which is different than the image I have pictured for many years. I should explain that this poem, among others, is one that I silently recite (to myself) during sleepless nights.
Frost refers to (deep?) snow, a little horse, the darkest evening of the year, harness bells and many miles to go.
It seems to me that under those conditions it would be less than prudent to use a small saddle horse for such travel. Furthermore, saddle horses are not normally equipped with harness bells and because of all these anomalies I believe that the mode of conveyance would most likely have been a horse drawn sleigh, as in the mental picture I have always imagined. I am aware that this does not alter the message or the interpretation of the poem in any way but just the same I'm curious as to if anyone else has picked up on this?

Last edited: