Run for covers !

I thought to call it "are covers importants ?" but then i pulled my thumbs from my arse and choose the sideway.

The happy and unhappy art of book cover.

3 exemples of a book i love and 3 good covers

mon_chien.jpg

John_Fante_-_Mon_Chien_Stupide_10_18_station.jpg

1694712-2289440.jpg

West of Rome by John Fante.
I did a painting with the segond one, and i'm thinking hard of doing one with the first.
The third is hillarious

Come lad's shoot.

miercuri

Reader
My favourite cover ever has to be the first edition of Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex, sadly I can't seem to find a decent image of it anywhere.

I really liked this cover, a lot more than the novel itself:
n22928.jpg

This novel, I haven't read, but I will buy it one day just for the cover:
celalat.jpg

Here are a few more Romanian editions I like. The Bolano is for Daniel :)
tarfe-asasine.jpg

index.php

058070_24_03261810.jpg

Baiuteii_2007_600_04221653.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

Here are a few more Romanian editions I like. The Bolano is for Daniel :)
tarfe-asasine.jpg

Hey, thanks! This is a beautiful edition, just that I don't know which book it is since my romanian is... well, nonexistent

Speaking of Bola?o's covers I really like the picture used for the Spanish Edition, it really fits the book, not like the English edition which I think it's horrible.

Very harsh, desertic, full of dark clouds at the back, and the woman helpless in a chair. Very representative of the situation in Santa Teresa/Ciudad Ju?rez.

Daniel del Real

The Spanish title is Putas Asesinas, a short story collection. Not much of Bolano's work was translated to Romanian yet.

Then my suspects were right! Anyhow, it's good you have the book Putas Asesinas instead of a selection of his tales by don't know who of his short stories as they did it with the English edition.

Great stuff, i actualy toke Daniel photo for work, maybe.

Like Bjorn, i also like simple graphism sometime, specialy when used with quality paper. The French publisher Seuil is each time a sensual pleasure to read.

9782020637435.gif

miercuri

Reader
I am about to finish Christopher Isherwood's Goodybe to Berlin (loving every word of it so far) and I googled it and came across the cover of the first edition.
Isherwdgoigfj.jpg

It has that charming vintage feel, nothing glossy about it. And that photo fits the tone of the novel so well! Oh, how I would love this to be mine. I found it available here, costing only $8,500. I am sulking now.

Another proof of my terrible taste is my unlimited love for the Hard case crime covers.
I love the new publishing house and their old school covers that hit the bullhead of my tender parts.

A few master pieces

cover_big.jpg

cover_big.jpg

cover_big.jpg

cover_big.jpg

The last is maybe my favorite.

and here is their site Our Books

Hey Thomas, have you ever done any cover art?

Of course the cover is important, it is part of the gestalt of choosing and reading a book. You must engage the sense before you can engage the brain.

When I was young I was shelving in the fiction section of my university library and came across a pink spine. I thought, "This looks yummy." I pulled out the book and saw that it was called The Edible Woman. That made me laugh and thus began my love affair with Margaret Atwood.

SlowRain

Reader
I tend to like understated covers more than loud, colorful, busy ones. A few of the ones already posted are quite tasteful. I'm usually not a fan of most Sci-Fi and Fantasy covers.

My favorite cover is probably the Canadian hardcover edition of John le Carr?'s Night Manager. I find it to be very enigmatic.

41YzX40lP5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I also like the covers of Alan Furst's World War II thrillers:

400000000000000099880_s4.png

400000000000000077552_s4.jpg

400000000000000034967_s4.jpg

And here are a couple more le Carr? covers that I like:

9780743464666.jpg

9780743464659.jpg