Salman Rushdie is attacked and stabbed during a lecture.

Benny Profane

Author Salman Rushdie, whose writing has led to death threats, has been attacked on stage at an event in western New York. The 75-year-old was about to give a lecture at the Chautauqua Institution in Western New York when a man stormed the stage, it has been reported.

The man was said to have begun punching or stabbing as Rushdie was being introduced. The author of The Satanic Verses - which has been banned in Iran since 1988 - as well as Midnight’s Children and 2019’s Quichotte, was made a member of the Order of the Companions of Honour as part of the Queen’s Birthday Honours earlier this year.

OMG!!!

hayden

New York Police just confirmed he was stabbed in the neck.

Saw the photos... it's not looking good. I'm hoping whichever hospital he's being rushed to does the best they can.

Truly appalling news.

Last edited:

Benny Profane

I've read on the brazilian press (O Globo) that he is still alive (second the governor of NY) and the aggressor was arrested. Many people argued about the (lack of) security staff too.

Leseratte

Author Salman Rushdie, whose writing has led to death threats, has been attacked on stage at an event in western New York. The 75-year-old was about to give a lecture at the Chautauqua Institution in Western New York when a man stormed the stage, it has been reported.

The man was said to have begun punching or stabbing as Rushdie was being introduced. The author of The Satanic Verses - which has been banned in Iran since 1988 - as well as Midnight’s Children and 2019’s Quichotte, was made a member of the Order of the Companions of Honour as part of the Queen’s Birthday Honours earlier this year.

OMG!!!

Leseratte

OMG!!!
Caramba! Glad to read in more recent posts that he has survived at least. I saw him years ago when he gave a lecture at MASP, here in São Paulo. He was nice, humorous and seemed to enjoy his trip very much!

Last edited:

Bartleby

Now this pisses me off. To see hate having the upper hand, at least momentarily... I hope Rushdie recovers soon, so he can be well again, of course, but also so these mean-spirited people can't have their last laugh ?

‘This deserves congratulation.’ Hard-line supporters of Iran’s religious leaders praise the attack on Rushdie.

Benny Profane

Now this pisses me off. To see hate having the upper hand, at least momentarily... I hope Rushdie recovers soon, so he can be well again, of course, but also so these mean-spirited people can't have their last laugh ?

That was expected. I don't want to conjecture but this fact seems a terrorist/hate attack.

Update: The name of the aggressor was revealed.

Last edited:

Bartleby

A sad update ?

Rushdie’s agent, Andrew Wylie, sent an update on his condition shortly before 7 p.m. on Friday, saying Mr. Rushdie was on a ventilator and could not speak. “The news is not good," he said. "Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged."

Leseratte

According to UOL Brazilian news he is going to lose one of his eyes and the nerves of his arms have been cut.