Sci fi publisher Clarkesworld halts pitches amid deluge of AI-generated stories

redhead

Blahblahblah

It's like something out of a bad science fiction story: one of the leading speculative fiction magazines has had to close itself to new submissions due to a flood of low-quality AI-generated stories. It seems like it's not science fiction enthusiasts eager to use a new technology to inform their work, but rather techbros looking to make a quick buck.

I'm not sure what the future looks like with AI and art, but hopefully this current issue goes the way of the NFT craze.

Last edited:

TrixRabbi

Looks pretty dire. Really hoping this drops off as the A.I. generated stories are not even approaching a standard of quality for halfway decent fiction and I can't imagine this is going to be particularly lucrative for these scam artists trying to make a quick buck selling a story to journals.

MichaelHW

It's like something out of a bad science fiction story: one of the leading speculative fiction magazines has had to close itself to new submissions due to a flood of low-quality AI-generated stories. It seems like it's not science fiction enthusiasts eager to use a new technology to inform their work, but rather techbros looking to make a quick buck.

I'm not sure what the future looks like with AI and art, but hopefully this current issue goes the way of the NFT craze.
I think we need to discuss a "final solution" to the Tech baron problem, if mankind is to survive. I don't mean Musk. After all, he will be in voluntary exile in a tin can on Mars. And pose a problem to no one.

TrixRabbi

I for one can't wait to drive my exploding Tesla into a tight underground tube with no apparent escape routes as it fills with smoke.

umbrarchist

Soon they will use an AI to filter out low quality or generated submissions!
How would they train it to recognize low quality.

I wrote a computer program some time ago that counted science and fantasy words and computed a science density and fantasy density for texts. A density of 1.00 meant one science or fantasy word per 1000 characters.

A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C Clarke got 1.4 which was quite high.
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card got 0.455

So what is quality?