Shakespeare In excerpts at Florida Schools

Leseratte

Teachers in a Florida county are preparing to use only excerpts of works by William Shakespeare, rather than whole plays, as part of an attempt to conform to hardline rightwing legislation on teaching about sex.

Skye Perryman warns of threats to ‘basic freedoms including the freedom to read’.
‘Criminal liability for librarians’: the fight against US rightwing book bans
Read more

“There’s some raunchiness in Shakespeare,” Joseph Cool, a reading teacher at Gaither high school in Hillsborough county, told the Tampa Bay Times. “Because that’s what sold tickets during his time.”

But, the newspaper said: “In staying with excerpts, the schools can teach about Shakespeare while avoiding anything racy or sexual.”

wordeater

I've just seen a performance of Othello, the Dark-Skinned Fellow Human Being of Venice, and I thought there was too much sex in it.

Papageno

Thank you for letting us know about this horror, @Laseratte. It seems that especially in the anglophone world writers (both contemporary and classical) are struggling to survive between the Scylla of fanatical religious puritanism and Charybis of righteous "wokisme."

And irony is particularly striking in this case - I mean, in a world where TV, movies, even music, not to speak of the daily news, are filled with gratuitous violence, we're supposed to think that Shakespeare is corrupting the youth?

nagisa

Spiky member
Thank you for letting us know about this horror, @Laseratte. It seems that especially in the anglophone world writers (both contemporary and classical) are struggling to survive between the Scylla of fanatical religious puritanism and Charybis of righteous "wokisme."
Sorry but in which state, exactly, has "wokism" banned books? Not a fan of this false equivalence.

Papageno

Sorry but in which state, exactly, has "wokism" banned books? Not a fan of this false equivalence.
Examples of "woke" efforts to stifle ideologically non-compliant literature are as varied as they are disturbing: removal of To Kill a Mockingbird from necessary readings (example), outraged social media enthusiasts trying to kill a writer's book before it even gets published (example), publishers mangling classics to purge them from any insensitivity (example), non-compliant writers subjected to vicious smear campaigns (example) and threats (example). Not to mention the unholy spectacle of intimidation and threats that surrounded the publication of that by all means insignificant book The American Dirt (example). And all these examples could be multiplied many times over, unfortunately.

Therefore, I don't think it is a false equivalence at all. I certainly agree that Florida's case is particularly egregious and taking novel, institutionalized proportions, but, taking a look at the big picture, we do seem to be witnessing a supra-ideological authoritarian turn, and it makes sense to look at it as a single, general phenomenon, which manifests itself differently in different social and political contexts, and which needs to be addressed on the level of the whole society rather than fruitlessly split over ideological lines.

tiganeasca

I look at it like this: Shakespeare died over 400 years ago. He is still widely read and highly regarded. Who will have heard of Ron DeSantis in 400 years? Hell, who will have heard of Ron DeSantis in 50 years? Anything (and perhaps everything) that he and his cohort are busily doing is fairly readily undone. And those who so vigorously support him wouldn't have been paying much attention to Shakespeare even without his idiocies. It is a pity and a shame how many students will be affected by him and his policies, but once they graduate and go to college (and beyond), his influence becomes minimal.

nagisa

Spiky member
Examples of "woke" efforts to stifle ideologically non-compliant literature are as varied as they are disturbing: removal of To Kill a Mockingbird from necessary readings (example), outraged social media enthusiasts trying to kill a writer's book before it even gets published (example), publishers mangling classics to purge them from any insensitivity (example), non-compliant writers subjected to vicious smear campaigns (example) and threats (example). Not to mention the unholy spectacle of intimidation and threats that surrounded the publication of that by all means insignificant book The American Dirt (example). And all these examples could be multiplied many times over, unfortunately.

Therefore, I don't think it is a false equivalence at all. I certainly agree that Florida's case is particularly egregious and taking novel, institutionalized proportions, but, taking a look at the big picture, we do seem to be witnessing a supra-ideological authoritarian turn, and it makes sense to look at it as a single, general phenomenon, which manifests itself differently in different social and political contexts, and which needs to be addressed on the level of the whole society rather than fruitlessly split over ideological lines.
I want to clarify these examples after looking them over, and explain why I think this a false equivalence overall.

TKAM: is not banned, simply removed from required readings in that particular school (I don't know what other readings they have that are required — I presume and hope that they are even more "anti-racist" than TKAM, or else something else is going on). The article states that profs who wish to assign it can.

A. Wen Zhao: she got backlash over an increasingly tired and problematic trope, the dangerous magical minority. Disproportionate to whatever was going on in the book, and proportionate (I guess) to the young crowd involved (this is YA). And then the book was published. And then the trilogy. She's still writing.

Dahl: not wokeness, but profit-seeking calculating that future people won't want to read slurs in childrens' books. Their calculation is of course highly scattershot/over-zealous (the Dahl examples are egregious and I'm not going to defend them; was anything lost by rejiggering Ten Little N*ggers in to Ten Little Indians/And Then There Were None?) and highly money-oriented (rejiggered texts can be copyrighted for longer than the originals which will fall into the public domain eventually). Wokenes is a fig-leaf here for the publishing house's bottom line.

CNA: is complaining about being (violently?) criticized on Twitter for (fairly mild?) insensitive comments. This (I guess?) can be chalked up to "wokism", but the comparison fails again. Also, it's all a bit
1692478103606.png

JKR: death threats are unacceptable. Also unacceptable is JKR lending support (which in magnitude dwarfs anything the LGBT+ community is capable of) to some of the worst transphobes on internet. I wish both would stop.

American Dirt: again, an author criticised for use of lazy tropes and inauthentic writing. I deplore that it focuses on her identity as such, but if the described experience rings false as well, the writing and writer have failed — and taken the place of perhaps better writing, under false pretences.

I'm sure you can find more examples, as you say, more or less attributable to what you would call "wokeness", which I recuse anyway as an umbrella term for many phenomena. But I see it as simply incorrect to both-sides this. The interplay of progress and reaction is more complicated than a "both sides have equal power and are doing equivalent things" position.

Ben Jackson

Teachers in a Florida county are preparing to use only excerpts of works by William Shakespeare, rather than whole plays, as part of an attempt to conform to hardline rightwing legislation on teaching about sex.

Skye Perryman warns of threats to ‘basic freedoms including the freedom to read’.
‘Criminal liability for librarians’: the fight against US rightwing book bans
Read more

“There’s some raunchiness in Shakespeare,” Joseph Cool, a reading teacher at Gaither high school in Hillsborough county, told the Tampa Bay Times. “Because that’s what sold tickets during his time.”

But, the newspaper said: “In staying with excerpts, the schools can teach about Shakespeare while avoiding anything racy or sexual.”

Thank you so much Lesserate for bringing this horror to our notice. I just saw this now. I don't know if the world want to turn the youth into existential caricatures through a maddening and idiosyncrastic authoritarian approach called "removing rauchiness from Shakespeare," but this just another illustration of stark, raving lunacy. One would think this just only exist in another sphere, but it's just another asinine milestone accomplished. Turning learners into dimensions of "Zombiesim."

Phil D

On the topic of state intervention in academic freedom and free speech more broadly, I thought Amia Srinivasan's recent piece 'Cancelled' from in the London Review of Books was excellent.

Srinivasan is a fine essayist. She is always determined to historically contextualise contemporary debates, she has an ability to engage with opposing viewpoints sympathetically without both-sides-ing the question at hand, and she writes with great clarity.

It's quite long, so I've attached the essay as a PDF. Srinivasan also discusses the article in a podcast here.

Attachments

• Amia Srinivasan · Cancelled_ Can I speak freely_ · LRB 29 June 2023.pdf
    302 KB · Views: 5

Leseratte

On the topic of state intervention in academic freedom and free speech more broadly, I thought Amia Srinivasan's recent piece 'Cancelled' from in the London Review of Books was excellent.

Srinivasan is a fine essayist. She is always determined to historically contextualise contemporary debates, she has an ability to engage with opposing viewpoints sympathetically without both-sides-ing the question at hand, and she writes with great clarity.

It's quite long, so I've attached the essay as a PDF. Srinivasan also discusses the article in a podcast here.
Thank you so much for this article, Phil. I will have to read it later, but the first sentence is already arresting: "A professor of philosophy at Cambridge University, has been appointed the UK’s first ‘free speech tsar’ ." (bold, mine). That someone has to be appointed to determine and/or protect what is free speech at one of the greatest universities of the world and at that an usually authoritarian figure as a "tsar" sounds an alarm.

Leseratte

nagisa

Spiky member

This is a great piece, thank you!

A part that stood out to me: "On one hand, we have the state-sanctioned restriction of people’s legal rights to speech. On the other, we have a cultural tendency – both facilitated and made visible by social media – towards the vocal political criticism of other people. The former is a direct attack on free speech; the latter is an exercise – however wise or unwise, virtuous or vicious – of it."

Liam

Administrator
Nothing to gloat over since this will directly affect the lives of many students (many of whom will be unable to finish their degrees in time), but DeSantis's "poster child" for what he thinks of as good old "classical" education, New College of Florida, is apparently a shit show right now. Some 40% of the faculty have resigned! Like, what the fuck did you expect? You start telling professors and lecturers what they can and can't say or teach in class, you expect them to stay at your institution? ?‍♂️

Phil D

This is a great piece, thank you!

A part that stood out to me: "On one hand, we have the state-sanctioned restriction of people’s legal rights to speech. On the other, we have a cultural tendency – both facilitated and made visible by social media – towards the vocal political criticism of other people. The former is a direct attack on free speech; the latter is an exercise – however wise or unwise, virtuous or vicious – of it."
I was going to post this exact quote but wanted to let people read through the whole argument themselves. Glad you took the time! ?
Nothing to gloat over since this will directly affect the lives of many students (many of whom will be unable to finish their degrees in time), but DeSantis's "poster child" for what he thinks of as good old "classical" education, New College of Florida, is apparently a shit show right now. Some 40% of the faculty have resigned! Like, what the fuck did you expect? You start telling professors and lecturers what they can and can't say or teach in class, you expect them to stay at your institution? ?‍♂️
Such a disaster, but what do DeSantis and his cronies care? 40% resignation is just less people with a conscience on campus. They win anyway.

Leseratte

From Amia Srinivasan's recent piece 'Cancelled': "The prudent course of action is to silence dissent before it happens." That seems to be the core of the free speech surveillance
Under our former president and his wonderful minister of Human Rights ( "Boys wear blue and girls wear pink") Students in school were encouraged to make videos and denounce their teachers if they said anything that went against the current government's ideology.