Shel Silverstein: The Giving Tree

sat2493

The book can be found here: http://walnutumc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/239064999-The-Giving-Tree.pdf

This is a very short, children's book, written by Shel Silverstein. It details the progression of a boy's life, and the give, take nature of the boy and tree. This book honestly hit me at a very deep level. Although, I'm very stuck at taking it's emotional impact and translating it into meaning using my own morals for what giving and taking should be, and my own projections about what life is and should be about (I'm 23 right now), my own familiarity with the concepts of selfishness/selflessness.

My interpretation of this book is that the tree represents the spirit, the true self, of the boy and the universe. Born into this world, we have a very close connection with the nature of the universe and ourselves, and this connection is very pure. It is pure in that there exist little concerns about work stresses, maintaining a family, navigating society, finances, etc. Therefore the relationship begins as something that is spontaneous, and lacks selfishness.

Then the events progress. As the boy grows older, he gets inundated with the distractions of life, and capitalizes, and uses the trees for his own selfish needs and desires. With each distraction, he sees the tree as something to take from. I interpreted this as the boy using his natural talents to establish himself in the world. Talents that are true to his spirit and nature, but used to accomplish very superficial, urgent ends. Making a living. We all have to make a living using our abilities, skills, and talents. We all interact with money and finances in this way.

Eventually, the spirit tires. Little nourishment has been provided from the boy. The taking reaches it's logical end, there's nothing left to take. The distractions of life have gone and went. The boy is old. I found it interesting how at this point, the book still referred to the boy as a "boy". Both the tree and boy are tired.

I'm not sure if a theme or moral has been provided in this book, if one even exists. It just sounds like the default progression of life many people go through. Distraction after distraction. Any thoughts from you?