Site News

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
You can now post flags, finally. Underneath the box you type into, there's a box called 'Post Icons' - loads of countries are listed there. Just pick the necessary country and its flag will be assiged. I'll hopefully move it up, above the post box, tomorrrow and perhaps the tags option too.

Sybarite

Reader
You can now post flags, finally. Underneath the box you type into, there's a box called 'Post Icons' - loads of countries are listed there. Just pick the necessary country and its flag will be assiged. I'll hopefully move it up, above the post box, tomorrrow and perhaps the tags option too.

Cool. I'll remember that next time. :)

nnyhav

Reader
I see that PressSpy is a new joiner. I suppose that we'll all become PressSpyterians now, form an order book or order a Book of Forms ... (me, I'm more amenable to the Frisbyterians, who teach that when you pass on, your soul gets stuck on the roof ...)

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I've turned on the forum's Reputation System, as I think it may be necessary. You can make use of it by clicking the icon at the top of each post that looks like a set of scales:
reputation.gif

When you click on this you'll get a pop up window saying What do you think of person's post? with the options of I Approve and I Disapprove, and a comments box. People can see, privately, the comments they received for their posts.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure this is a good idea, Kemosabe?
Yes. It's good karma. Like a post, for whatever reason, share the love; dislike it, smite them down. :D As long as it's not abused, which it shouldn't be, as you can only assign love/smite once per day per person.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I've made a little addition to the forum regarding flag usage. If you want to use a flag in a post you can now use the this list of codes for the time being. My hope is to create an dropdown, much like the threads have, from which you can pick a flag to insert. The code between the tags needs to be in lowercase too.

Anyway, to use it, it's a case of putting the code between [FLAG] [/FLAG] tags. Like this:

[FLAG]de[/FLAG]

To produce this:

It's a start. :).gif" alt="" />

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, 10,000th post! I'd say that's news. Well done.
Ooh, I hadn't noticed. Saying that, I do need to purge loads of aggregated blog posts that I haven't brought into play. Watch it drop back to 7,500 or so when I get a moment. :D

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I've attempted to give the forum a bit of a facelift, most notably stretching it out to a full screen. Hope you all like it. Hope you can see it, too.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
The colour's a strange one, since the site has always been white, black, red, and grey. And still is.

I understand about the old boys but a few problems arose: one, my computer gave up the ghost and I lost all my old images (and that font) with it; two, finding good images to use in tandem with a quote proved tricky; and three, realising how narrow the forum was at a more common resolution meant I had to stretch it out, and the graphic header being a set width was an issue.

In the meantime, let's see what others think of it.

Mirabell

Former Member
the color

the old version has a thick grey strip on either side, red was restricted to a few lines now and then

the new version has (on my computer at least) more of a red/white look,

Beth

Reader
Like it. It's clean looking and easy to read. I miss the photos too but understand that if they were stretched too far it would distort them. I like the new widget and the revolving Bola?os. Will we be getting different storefronts from time to time?

titania7

Reader
Stewart,
I love the changes you've made. As always, you've outdone yourself. Perhaps those who aren't altogether pleased with the site's "new look" will get accustomed to it over time. Change just isn't easy for some people to readily accept ;).

~Titania

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I like the new widget and the revolving Bola?os. Will we be getting different storefronts from time to time?
All the time. Currently there's eighty potential carousels: fifty for UK browsers, thirty for non-UK, following themes of national literature, works by an author, publisher showcase, books by a translator, possibly some more that I've forgotten. I'll be adding to them all the time to ensure variety.

I sort of miss the author photographs too but, without them, I'm able to pack in hundreds of quotes without needing to accompany them with a snap.

Beth

Reader
All the time. Currently there's eighty potential carousels: fifty for UK browsers, thirty for non-UK, following themes of national literature, works by an author, publisher showcase, books by a translator, possibly some more that I've forgotten. I'll be adding to them all the time to ensure variety.

Outstanding! Yes, right now there are some NYRB titles up there. Very classy!