STEMM Subjects

Science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine! Again, not one of my stronger reading areas, except for aviation and space travel, which I’ll do a separate thread on.

I got into a big tussle on Twitter once with someone who didn’t understand why contemporary scientists would want to read Darwin, Newton, Copernicus, and I am afraid I was not nice. I categorically reject the notion that older classics are “superseded” and have little now to offer. That’s just not my experience, dozens of times over.

To follow the thought processes of great thinkers to their conclusions is a true privilege. I taught philosophy, and I assure you, none of the greats ever leaves the room.

One needs to know where one is coming from in every discipline. And every discipline IS philosophical.

Kevin Barry, ed, Traces of Peter Rice (Festschrift for the late structural engineer)

Rachel Carson, Silent Spring (still compelling!)

Charles Darwin, On the Origin of Species (amazing)

Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time

Lawrence M. Krauss, The Physics of Star Trek (fun)

Tom Lewis, Empire of the Air: The Men Who Made Radio (loved it)

Brian Winston, Media Technology and Society (changed my thinking)

Tom Zoellner, Uranium (excellent history)

Marba

Reader
Today Swedish biologist Svante Pääbo was awarded the Nobel in physiology or medicine "for his discoveries concerning the genomes of extinct hominins and human evolution".

In 2014 he released his memoir Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes which combines scientific findings with personal anecdotes.

umbrarchist

Giant Brains; or Machines that Think (1949)
by Edmund Callis Berkeley

I was hired by IBM in 1978 and soldered together my first computer that year. That book is almost shocking in comparison to today. IBM hired John von Neumann as a consultant in 1951 but I never saw any mention of him in their documentation. I obtained and read proscribed books, The Sun Never Sets on IBM and The Watsons.

Almost all computers use the von Neumann architecture but most books have crappy explanations if they mention the term at all, and the majority do not. Input-Processing-Output just does not cut it. The books with good explanations almost never use the phrase "von Neumann architecture", it's weird.

How the CPU Works

RISC-V 2023

Their everywhere, their everywhere! AHAhahaaa!

Last edited:

Benny Profane

I read The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose, Nobel Prize in Physics, and I like very much this subject of this book, eg the integration between Computers and Human Mind.

I recomend this book! :)