The Nobel-gate

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
On Friday, three members of the Swedish Academy, which picks the laureate of the Nobel Prize in Literature, announced that they would give up their seats in the prestigious cultural institution.
The renowned author Klas Östergren, who has been a member of the Swedish Academy for four years, was the first to announce his decision to leave. He made the announcement in a letter to Svenska Dagbladet.

”The Swedish Academy has had serious problems for a long time, and are now trying to solve them in ways that put obscure considerations in front of their own statutes, which is a betrayal to the Academy's founder and its highest patron, not to mention its function of representing brilliance and taste. Therefore I have chosen to not participate in the institution's activity any longer. I'm leaving the table, I'm out of the game,” he wrote in the letter.
Hours later another member, Kjell Espmark, who has had a seat in the Academy since 1981, announced that he is also leaving the institution.
Read the article in Swedish: Tre ledamöter lämnar Akademien
”Integrity is the blood of the Swedish Academy. When leading voices in the Academy put friendship and irrelevant regards over the responsibility for this integrity I can no longer be involved in the work,” he wrote in a message to Dagens Nyheter.
On Friday afternoon former permanent secretary, historian and author Peter Englund, also decided to leave his seat in the Academy. In his announcement, published on his blog, he wrote that there is a divide within the Academy, where permanent secretary Sara Danius’s handling of a deep crisis in the Academy has been criticized internally.
”Decisions have been made which I neither believe in nor can defend, and I have decided to no longer participate in the work of the Swedish Academy,” he wrote.
Peter Englund has been a member of the Swedish Academy since 2002, and was permanent secretary between 2009 and 2015.
During the last few months the Swedish Academy has been rocked by a crisis, after Dagens Nyheter revealed that 18 women accuse a man with close ties to the institution of sexual assault and harassment. The Academy cut all its ties with the accused man, who is the artistic director of a cultural center in Stockholm, which he runs with his wife who is also a member of the Academy.
Since the allegations were revealed a law firm has performed an investigation of each member's ties to the accused man. According to sources to Dagens Nyheter the investigation has been finalized and presented to the members of the Academy. The conclusions will be made public next week.
The Swedish Academy has eighteen members, and the membership is for life. Every member is elected by secret ballot in the Academy. The Swedish Academy has awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature since 1901.

https://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/three-members-leave-the-swedish-academy/

Bartleby

Re: Three members leave the Swedish Academy

That's sad. I wonder what it tells of the previous prizes and the ones to come...

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

Wow, this is serious stuff. Englund was permanent secretary for a few years and Espmark even wrote a book about the History of the Nobel in literature.
Let's see what those conclusions from next week have to say about it and if they're related to this.

Liam

Administrator

I'm sorry to be asking a stupid question, but what is the use of calling somebody a "permanent" secretary if the position is not really permanent?

Bartleby

I just know that I'll be MAD if they decide not to award any writer this year...

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス

That'd be shocking if it happened. The main issue is the Academy needs benchmark X amount of votes to proceed on measures. With so many people gone, they are at the point that if Stridsberg and I think one other person leave, they won't be able to vote on anything, effectively neutering the Academy for good. That's why Danius is in a frenzy to try and make it so people can voluntarily vacate their seats.

Liam

Administrator

^Now, I don't know the full story, so perhaps what I'm about to say is a bit foolish. But. Since when did we punish people by association? Unless she participated in the mistreatment, the wife of the alleged "rapist" should not face any backlash. Additionally, there's the point of these allegations being exactly that--allegations. Nothing has been proven yet. So the three members wanted her voted out based on something her husband allegedly did that hasn't even been properly investigated yet? Good job, people.

Liam

Administrator

The investigation was just a law firm investigating who in the Academy knew what for the Academy’s own purposes. It wasn’t a police investigation.
The NYT article explicitly states that "The police opened a preliminary investigation in December, though parts of the inquiry were closed in March..." which means that the police WERE involved, at least in the beginning. The private law firm was hired to investigate the other Academy members' connections to the man in question, not the allegations themselves.
it seems likely that they found evidence that Frostenson knew what was going on
This hasn't been stated publicly, it is pure conjecture on your part. If she DID know about her husband's mistreatment of all these other women, then of course it makes her partially complicit, but bear in mind that she may not have been present, the women did not speak out right away, and her husband may have downplayed the seriousness of his misbehavior to her. Perhaps he told her that he merely groped them. I don't think any woman would go to the police and turn in her husband based on that.
There’s clearly more here than has been released to the public.
Again, conjectures. Let's wait and see what they actually DO tell us, and go with facts, not suppositions.

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス

Liam, this is what she's been accused of

https://www.svt.se/kultur/konflikten-kring-katarina-frostenson-splittrar-akademien

Allocating funds to her husband so that he could run his club and molest women
Leaking names of the year's Nobel winner to her husband, who would use the information.

https://www.svt.se/kultur/svenska-a...filen-lackte-uppgifter-om-sju-nobelpristagare

They say 7 names were leaked:

Wislawa Szymborska (1996), Elfriede Jelinek (2004), Harold Pinter (2005), Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio (2008), Patrick Modiano (2014), Svetlana Aleksijevitj (2015) och Bob Dylan (2016)

Liam

Administrator

^OK, see this is what I'm talking about, facts. Thanks for the links, ALRV. Based on the primitive Google translated bits, I'm now slowly putting the situation together. Between the improperly allocated funds and the leaking of names, the plot thickens. It seems the husband will not be legally prosecuted, however, something to do with the statute of limitations for those particular misdemeanors.

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス

Right, and she's been accused in the past as being the one linked to the leaks in relation to her husband. Engdahl (who voted to keep her, oddly) said she was always very aggressive when anyone approached her about the subject, so you can see how big of a scandal this was when it became public knowledge last year, when they had been asking her in early ~2013.

It also -sounds- like people were telling Danius she would be kicked out, and then come voting time, they pulled a switcharoo (she voted to remove her).

redhead

Blahblahblah

Oh man, when I started reading this, I thought the bits about integrity and taste were in reference to recent winners. This is...way worse. I like award speculation and don't see this affecting me participating in this year's thread, but I can't believe the SA didn't vote out Frostenson. I'd resign as well if I was in the same position as those three.

Edit: Not sure where there's a list of who voted for what, but I saw something saying Danius voted to expel Frostenson. It has to suck to still be the Permanent Secretary after that. Bet she wishes for the days when Bob Dylan was her biggest problem...

Edit 2: Apparently this doesn't affect the Nobel prize: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/07/world/europe/swedish-academy-abuse-accusations.html

Per Wästberg, chairman of the Nobel Prize Committee, said the Nobel Prize was not at risk.
“For that you only need a simple majority and you have a quorum when eight members are present.”

Last edited:

redhead

Blahblahblah

Thanks! Wonder why Stridsberg didn't vote, especially if she's now also considering resigning