The Nobel-gate

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
They should give one Nobel to Dril and the other to Shakira (Waka Waka, Awoooo!), even though, on second thought, they might be the same person, as someone has already tweeted.

Marba

Reader
Today the SA communicated that two new members was elected during the meeting yesterday. These are Ellen Mattson and Anne Swärd, two women novelists born in the 1960s. Now there is only one empty seat left to fill.

Stiffelio

Reader
They should announce them separately, say one week apart, so as to allow each recipient their moment of individual glory and media attention.

Liam

Administrator
^Seriously, unless it's a co-award which would make sense to announce on the same day. But for two separate years, they could have, as you suggest, wait at least a week between the announcements.

Marba

Reader
Professor of literature Mats Malm who entered the Swedish Academy on seat 11 last year has been elected as new Permanent Secretary as from June 1st.

Liam

Administrator
Can people muster enough enthusiasm to start a speculation thread for this year? Five whole months of blissful abandon, :p

I have to say, each year we theorize that the "choices" are fairly obvious, and each year we are left in surprise.

Marba

Reader
Yesterday Åsa Wikforss, professor in theoretical philosophy at Stockholm University, was elected to replace Sara Danius at seat 7. This means that all seats in the SA are taken for the first time since 1989.

Bartleby

Last member of the Academy added! Åsa Wikforss, a theoretical philosophy professor and member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, takes Sara Danius' previous chair.

Here you can watch a brief lecture she gave: https://vimeo.com/232815833

Last edited:

Bartleby

Yesterday Åsa Wikforss, professor in theoretical philosophy at Stockholm University, was elected to replace Sara Danius at seat 7. This means that all seats in the SA are taken for the first time since 1989.
LOL. I completely missed this post .-.
I'm opening the forum from my phone and it went directly to Lucas's message, skipping Marba's. Sorry for this :p

redhead

Blahblahblah
Can people muster enough enthusiasm to start a speculation thread for this year? Five whole months of blissful abandon, :p

I have to say, each year we theorize that the "choices" are fairly obvious, and each year we are left in surprise.

Each year I tell myself the Nobel is so silly and all these months of speculation are even sillier, and each year for some reason I can't explain I find myself wrapped up in it, following each bit of guesswork with a magnifying glass :p Oh well, it is a great way to learn about lesser known writers.

Where's the speculation thread?

No one's started it yet, guess I'll post one.