The Nobel Library

Adunis is certainly a deserving winner. If he doesn't pass away before the beginning of next year, I intend on nominating him to be included in our own prize selection process. His voice is exceptional, his writing is unique, and the power of what he says is moving in ways that leave me feeling incredibly vulnerable.

His winning the prize would hopefully lead to much more widespread English publication of his work.

Kudos to @The Common Reader above for the link to another of his fantastic writings.

The Common Reader

Adunis is certainly a deserving winner. If he doesn't pass away before the beginning of next year, I intend on nominating him to be included in our own prize selection process. His voice is exceptional, his writing is unique, and the power of what he says is moving in ways that leave me feeling incredibly vulnerable.

His winning the prize would hopefully lead to much more widespread English publication of his work.

Kudos to @The Common Reader above for the link to another of his fantastic writings.
My pleasure! This is a wonderful summing up of why he deserves the prize.

Verkhovensky

While that's true, the numbers are technically 9 years out of 113. (Nearly) 8% of the time poets have won back-to-back. (Could even up that stat if you include the early trifecta of Verner von Heidenstam/Karl Adolph Gjellerup/Spitteler— 10.5%). Or even Brodsky/Soyinka (but that's a slight stretch).

I wouldn't bet on it, but those aren't the worst numbers. Far better than zero (i.e. two women winning in a row).

Regardless all that, I am on the side doubting it'll happen this year (but, welcome it).

If we are stretching than you can say Handke/Gluck is two poets in a row, since Handke is accomplished poet as well.

alik-vit

Reader
I wonder whether Svetlana Aleksievitch has a habit of scribbling some verses in between interviews with her subjects ?
In the school. She wrote poetry in the school:

Bartleby

In the school. She wrote poetry in the school:
turns out Modiano also wrote some poetry

But, yes, I know, most of these writers are known primarily for their novels rather than poems =P

Liam

Administrator
I think it's ridiculous to call someone who only occasionally dabbles in poetry a "poet." A poet writes poetry full time. Not exclusively, but it is the main component of their literary output. That's like calling Sylvia Plath a great novelist based on The Bell Jar ?

Ludus

Reader
I think it's ridiculous to call someone who only occasionally dabbles in poetry a "poet." A poet writes poetry full time. Not exclusively, but it is the main component of their literary output. That's like calling Sylvia Plath a great novelist based on The Bell Jar ?

What about Pasternak, then?

Liam

Administrator
^I consider him a poet, primarily. Same with Plath.

The really interesting case is Emily Bronte. Because she died so young we don't know if she would have turned out to be primarily a poet or a novelist. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Ludus

Reader
^I consider him a poet, primarily. Same with Plath.

The really interesting case is Emily Bronte. Because she died so young we don't know if she would have turned out to be primarily a poet or a novelist. I'm leaning toward the latter.

I think the problem is in the novel being considered the highest form of literature. I, like you, will always be glad when someone who writes exclusively poetry wins a major prize, but I find that classification of "mostly poets" and "mostly novelists" to be of little utility. I think that if someone writes poetry they are poets by definition, even if they are not mainly known for that.

Johnny

Th
some updates

dag solstad 10
knausgard 15
fosse 4
ernaux 11
Cixous 8
yu hua 4
can xue 5
Xi Xi 2
Adonis 5
Ngugi wa Thiong'o 7
Thanks for the update. Solstad number is interesting, has not been mentioned too often to date. A strong showing by Norwegian writers at the moment.

JCamilo

Reader
Well, i recall T.S.Eliot once saying that his nobel prize was for his poetry and that he barelly wrote poetry. In portuguese, there is an expression used by a former president... Something like this... I am not a president, I am being a president.

Salixacaena

What about Pasternak, then?

He’s a poet. His Nobel citation specifically says he was awarded for his poetry. The Academy write up on him that was read by them when he was awarded is almost entirely devoted to his work as a poet with Doctor Zhivago only being mentioned in maybe the last fourth of the essay.

moha-moha

some updates

dag solstad 10
knausgard 15
fosse 4
ernaux 11
Cixous 8
yu hua 4
can xue 5
Xi Xi 2
Adonis 5
Ngugi wa Thiong'o 7
How do you know that the books is not availble,is it that sentence in swedish? Can you tell me more about this library and how does it help to predict the winner?

redhead

Blahblahblah
How do you know that the books is not availble,is it that sentence in swedish? Can you tell me more about this library and how does it help to predict the winner?

Until recently, it used to list the due date (now it just says “available” or “unavailable” in Swedish). The public can take out books, but just for a month, and you used to be able to see books that were due back months in the future. Also, the eventual winners have all had a decent amount of books checked out the years they won, so there’s a correlation.

moha-moha

Until recently, it used to list the due date (now it just says “available” or “unavailable” in Swedish). The public can take out books, but just for a month, and you used to be able to see books that were due back months in the future. Also, the eventual winners have all had a decent amount of books checked out the years they won, so there’s a correlation.
Thank you so much,that is very helpful,well let's cross fingers for Fosse he really deserves it