The Nobel Library

D

Deleted member 83959

Nothing. I'm saying he took a ten year break between published works and released something that didn't win any/wasn't nominated for any major awards and was of a different style than most/all of his previous works.

I don't see that as being very consistent and don't see any compelling reason for why he would suddenly win the prize. The last time he won any sort of major award was years ago and in the last 12 year's he's published 1 novel. He doesn't even appear on betting odds lists (not that these mean much, but it's tellIng that he's been largely absent from the literary scene and literary discussions for years).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス

redhead

Blahblahblah
Nothing. I'm saying he took a ten year break between published works and released something that didn't win any/wasn't nominated for any major awards and was of a different style than most/all of his previous works.

I don't see that as being very consistent and don't see any compelling reason for why he would suddenly win the prize. The last time he won any sort of major award was years ago and in the last 12 year's he's published 1 novel. He doesn't even appear on betting odds lists (not that these mean much, but it's tellIng that he's been largely absent from the literary scene and literary discussions for years).

Oh, I see. Yeah, I feel that. Now that you say it, he has been largely absent from the literary scene for a while. Even Martin Amis stays more relevant than him.

WolfmanK

Reader
Isahop, have thou no joy in your predictions? I'm going with Kadare. Ishiguro it is!

Or Atwood... No? When does the thread for 2017 lit prize start, anyway?

Liam

Administrator
^Anybody can open a Nobel Speculation thread, and July/August is usually the time when we begin "speculating" about the upcoming winner on this board, :)

Sisyphus

Reader
okay, last year we might have failed to predict the winner by keeping an eye on the nobel library (for obvious reasons), but let's try again this year, shall we?

http://www.nobelbiblioteket.se/eng

four of ishiguro's books are due late july/early august. I guess we don't need a thread for this year's nobel speculations anymore; ishiguro is the winner for sure!

I had totally forgotten I said this hahah

EllisIsland

Reader
Okay, last year we might have failed to predict the winner by keeping an eye on the Nobel Library (for obvious reasons), but let's try again this year, shall we?

http://www.nobelbiblioteket.se/eng

Four of Ishiguro's books are due late July/early August. I guess we don't need a thread for this year's Nobel speculations anymore; Ishiguro is the winner for sure!

Man, I have to say, that was really something. You yould print that out and hang it onto the wall, seriously. I hope the Academy does not visit this forum, otherwise they will probably try to change things (assuming that all of this library check-out theory is worth anything... which I still don't believe)

D

Deleted member 83959

Since I supposed its never too early to play at this.

Danius is an admitted Francophile and has stated that some dead female French authors should have won.

There are currently two Helene Cixous books checked out. One of which isn't due until near the end of December.

Hmmmmmm

There are 5 Anne Carson books checked out. There's also a hold placed on one that's already checked out. There's also a new 2017 book they've purchased that's being processed right now.

3 Knausgård books out. But the ones checked out seem to random to really mean anything. Oddly there's another book that says "NOT FOR LOAN!"

There's like 7 or 8 Javier Marias books out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartleby

I had nothing to do so I checked some authors' catalogues, and I found better to share the data with you, even though this might at this time mean nothing :
(number=books checked out)
Lobo Antunes 3 or 4
Handke 3
Kadare 0
Marias 6
Krasznahorkai 2
Peter nadas 0
Ali Smith 1 (1 just returned)
Kundera 0
Olga Tokarczuk 1
Oz 1
Adonis 3
Ko un 1
Cartarescu 0
Anne Carson 7
Helene Cixous*1
Claudio Magris 3
Knausgard 3
Fosse 2 (some titles appear as book ordered for nobelbliotek, don't know what that means)

redhead

Blahblahblah
I believe that means the librarians have put in the order for those books but they haven't arrived yet. Hopefully that's good news for Fosse in the coming years

D

Deleted member 83959

I believe that means the librarians have put in the order for those books but they haven't arrived yet. Hopefully that's good news for Fosse in the coming years

Though also a novelist, if they enjoy his plays, Fosse seems likely to me for 2018. A playwright hasn’t won since 2015 and so far under Danius’s tenure we haven’t had a repeat of the type of works the winner is known for

2015: non fiction
2016: poetry
2017: novelist

This obviously doesn’t mean much, but if they’re trying to even things out I don’t know many other playwrights who stand a good chance. Stoppard is British so he won’t win in 2018.

redhead

Blahblahblah
I think we all know my thoughts on Fosse winning :p

But I have a feeling next year a woman will win. Definitely not Atwood, I can’t see it going to an English language writer again, but maybe someone like Tokarczuk. Then again, I’m usually wrong about these things.

Bartleby

Marilynne Robinson has four books checked out till February *_* hope this means she's being considered...

D

Deleted member 83959

Marilynne Robinson has four books checked out till February *_* hope this means she's being considered...

Seems unlikely. She only has four novels and her nonfiction is mostly essays about spirituality. Her latest collection is a series of lectures she gave at religious institutions. To me, that doesn’t seem like something the Academy would go for.

Daniel del Real

Seems unlikely. She only has four novels and her nonfiction is mostly essays about spirituality. Her latest collection is a series of lectures she gave at religious institutions. To me, that doesn’t seem like something the Academy would go for.

No one believes you anymore what seems to you unlikely ;)

redhead

Blahblahblah
After Dylan, nothing would surprise me, but I don't think she'll win, at least not for another few years. Too close to Dylan's win.

Liam

Administrator
To me, that doesn’t seem like something the Academy would go for.
Doesn't mean she's not being considered. In order to decide for or against a candidate, they still must read all or most of their output, correct?