The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Igu Soni

Reader
I found something terribly wrong with it.
The film is not very good, not very bad, more bad than good alltogether and even as a big fan of Meryl Streep and French cooking(obviously) it's hard to like this film.
Past the first surprise of Meryl squilling like mad turkey and the very modern girls borded with her life(I think she was the young Nun in "Doute") the all idea of the thing is pathetique.
The girls write a blog for a year about Julia Child and her French cooking book,like she is a godess, doing all 524 recipies in 365 days, is quite successfull with it, but realize at the end the Julia, her mentor does not give a shite about her blog.More and under covered word thing it a pill of crap.
And what would be a major breakdown to any normal personne, is but a vague unoyance to the Julie girl.
Now Many of you have blogs and i can imagine if were to spend a year working on an authors then were called by the agent to tell you that your mentor though your work was worth a pigeon fart to him,your reaction would be more than a sleepless night, back to worship the next morning.

I though those nice familly christmassy stories had some sort of a moral at the end, and if this is the new genre that come out of them, i'm getting sterilized, because i'm not sure i want childreen to grow up in around.
I don't know, I doubt my appreciation (both in feeling and writing) for a writer's/filmmaker's work has anything to do with his/her appreciation of mine.
I haven't watched the movie so I might have got something wrong there, but that was my response to your post.

Even if you dedicate your blog exclusively to one author, for a year, and learn he think your works is inconcistant ?
Come on.

Daniel del Real

I've just seen Rec2: I hoped it was a little better, considering the first one: Rec was quite good indeed.
If you like the horror genre, Rec is quite innovative I believe and you won't be disappointed. Then, if you're curious and you liked the first one, there's still Rec2.

There will be also Rec3: it was obvious, given the ending of Rec2.

I loved both. First time I saw it I thought it was gonna be an average zombie movie and it surprised me positively. Second is a little less good, but still impresive due to the twist they gave it to the story.
And yes, of course there's going to be a third.

learna

Reader
Julie & Julia

I knew nothing about it before starting, and didn't even plan on watching it. But, after a few minutes, I started to get into it. I think I enjoyed it mostly for the portrayal of two very tender marriages. A good movie with some good acting.

I liked only the nice stylized part with Meryl Streep.

Igu Soni

Reader
Even if you dedicate your blog exclusively to one author, for a year, and learn he think your works is inconcistant ?
Come on.
INconsistency from ideological point of view: I remember finding a link on WLF when I joined to an essay about how writers actually have no idea what they've actually written because there are too many background forces working on him. I kinda subscribe to that. Whatever the writer planned his work to be, the meaning of the work for me won't change.
As for the writing of it, I am inconsistent, so that'd be fine.

That said, I realise that I can't really speak because I don't have the mentality to admire a person enough to dedicate a whole year of blogging to him/her.

lionel

Reader
I've rented Paris, Texas by Wim Wenders for tonight

Which I possess, and love, but without Nastassja Kinski (which of course still means with Harry Dean Stanton and the music of Ry Cooder), somehow it just wouldn't make it.

Manuel76

Reader
...a hollywood cliche called the buddy comedy. No offense, if you don't see the cliches they are brilliant movies but if you do they are horrible ones.

First of all one has to understand the film is a parody, and a parody is always based on clich?s, commonplaces or topics, if not it?d be a kind of private joke nobody would understand.

But a parody about some clich?s is not necessarily a clich? itself, only if it doesn?t work anymore, if it?s too second-hand it has become a commonplace itself. Perhaps it happened in some moments of Toy Story 2, but in Toy Story I found it fresh and new.

Lenz, if you understood it was a parody (no offense, Igu, if you don?t see parodies, there?re a lot of serious films out there) and it worked for you, then you shouldn?t say it?s a clich?, would you?.

Igu, if I compared Buzz-Woody relationship with Quijote-Sancho, it wasn?t only because it was what you call a buddy comedy, which by the way I find is a very simplistic and narrow interpretation of this children?s movie. The same can be said from Vladimir and Estragon, buddy comedy, but it would have very little meaning and would say even less from this characters relation.

All the toy?s behaviour is a parody of clich?s, of course, because that?s precisely what they?re supposed to be in real life, as toys they represent parts in the children?s games, the hero, the hero?s girl, the hero?s friends, his enemies ?the parody is that this toys are a very absurd representation of the child?s fantasy as a cowboy has to save a shepherdess from a dinosaur.

I just wanted to stress the different point of view and interpretation of reality from both characters: Woody and Buzz, and how they learn one from the other. Similarly to Alonso Quijano who believes himelf to be Don Quijote, Buzz is born believing he?s a Hero who will save the world and not just a toy, a mere representation of a Hero.

Similarly to 1st part of Don Quijote de La Mancha, Buzz reinvents reality so reality agrees with his wrong ideas: his spaceship land in a dangerous unknown planet which in fact is only the child?s bed and so on, while Woody, like Sancho Panza has a more clear view of reality and tries to make Buzz understand his point of view. He?s despised as a simple mind just the same way DQ despises Sancho?s simplicity at the beginning of the book.

Woody: [pauses and looks incredulous] YOU! ARE! A! TOYYYYY! You aren't the real Buzz Lightyear! You're - you're an action figure!
[holds hand up to eyes indicating something small]
Woody: You are a child's play thing!
Buzz: You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.

The disenchantment when he realises he?s supposed t be only a toy reminded me Don Quijote?s disappointment when he?s defeated by the Knight of the White Moon and his later disillusionment when he realises he?s no longer a hero but Alonso Quijano.

IN Toy Story when Buzz finds out about his being a toy, drunk with tea:

[Woody finds Buzz dressed up as "Mrs. Nesbitt" and in the company of two headless dolls]
Woody: What happened to you?
Buzz: One minute you're defending the whole galaxy, and, suddenly, you find yourself sucking down Darjeeling with... Marie Antoinette and her little sister.
And like Sancho in the last chapters from Don Quijote, Woody wants poor Buzz to be Buzzlightyear again:

And just the same way as in Don quijote, in its last chapter, when all is finished Sancho tries to make Alonso believe they can still live as heros or shepherds or any other novelistic way of life:

Woody: Buzz, you've got wings! You glow in the dark! You talk! Your helmet does that, that... *whoosh* thing! You are a cool toy!
[loses steam]
Woody: As a matter of fact, you're *too* cool.

But for Buzz it no longer makes sense, as he can?t accept being a mere representation of a hero, just the same way the good Alonso Quijano finds laughable to be a mere representation of a knight, something doesn?t exist anymore.

And just one word about Hollywood clich?s, and I?m tired of the word too, we musn?t underestimate the industry which made more great films than any other country in the world, from the early silent days till present day.

Manuel76

Reader
Which I possess, and love, but without Nastassja Kinski (which of course still means with Harry Dean Stanton and the music of Ry Cooder), somehow it just wouldn't make it.

yes of course, Nastassja was unforgettable, blonde and with the pink sweater, in that long mirror scene. I still think it's a good film, Wenders best film ( I haven't seen The American Friend), but I must recognise he's not a favorite director of mine.

lenz

Reader
Lenz, if you understood it was a parody (no offense, Igu, if you don’t see parodies, there’re a lot of serious films out there) and it worked for you, then you shouldn’t say it’s a clich?, would you?
I meant that it's about c-s (I'm not going to type it again) and so, a little better than most of the other "children's" films.
All the toy's behaviour is a parody of clich?s, of course, because that’s precisely what they’re supposed to be in real life, as toys they represent parts in the children’s games, the hero, the hero’s girl, the hero’s friends, his enemies …the parody is that this toys are a very absurd representation of the child’s fantasy as a cowboy has to save a shepherdess from a dinosaur.

Last edited:

Bottle Rocket

Former Member
I realize that films are conceived and designed with a great big screen in mind but I rarely "go" to the movies, because I'm easily disappointed and it just makes me angry to pay $10 or more to subsidize over-hyped and overrated productions, not to mention the fact that I get way irritated by talkative or rowdy audiences (except for ROCKY HORROR, where the audience "is" the show). But when peace reigns in a theater I often fall asleep -- don't ask me why -- so it's usually a lose-lose proposition for me.

That said, I watch at least six or seven films a week because I work from home and typically have the TV muttering away in the background, so when something catches my attention I just go with it unless I'm writing to a tight deadline. Or, if something piques my interest -- not "peaks," Liam ;) -- I get it from NetFlix. "Recently watched" isn't too relevant to me 'cuz when I have to choose between a movie I already know I like and a brand-new one, I'm apt to go with the tried-and-true. Sooner or later I usually see just about everything, but rarely on first release or on a big screen.

TOY STORY is a case in point, and since it's getting a lot of attention here, let me put in a good word for some of its peers/competitors. I was surprised by how much I liked it when I got around to it, but I really much preferred FINDING NEMO: more original, IMO, as well as much more unexpected and engaging. I understand the parody/cliche argument in favor of TOY STORY, but to really enjoy it you have to "get" the references, whereas NEMO speaks for itself.

I also love Miyazaki -- his genius for animation is bewitching all by itself regardless of content -- and although my personal favorite is PORCO ROSSO, any of his oeuvre is well worth watching ... head and shoulders above anything Disney has produced since the 1930's.

But far and away my favorites are the first three Wallace & Gromit shorts. The train chase in THE WRONG TROUSERS is better than any live-action car chase ever filmed -- breathtakingly funny, suspenseful, and above all, brilliantly imagined and concise, without a wasted frame. Until I saw that sequence, I had thought the chase was an obligatory but exhausted trope -- f'rinstance, I thought RONIN was a pretty good thriller which was utterly destroyed by about six too many car chases. Yawn ... forget "cut to the chase;" my feeling is just "cut the chase" completely. Or simply flash a two-second title reading [INSERT CHASE HERE] and save the aggro for something less hackneyed. Nick Park, Gromit, and the Paying Guest have retired the cup once and for all. A CLOSE SHAVE is a close second to TROUSERS, and the feature-length animations are very good but not in the same class as the shorts.

As I write, I'm watching OPERATION PETTICOAT, which before I first saw it I expected to dislike. I'm older and wiser now and have learned that Cary Grant can turn even the worst sow's ear into a genuine silk purse -- I defy any of you to cite a single Grant performance that is less than stellar. I feel the same way about Alec Guinness -- from THE MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT and THE LADYKILLERS to STAR WARS and the Smiley mini-serieses, he almost never put a foot wrong.

Finally, a shout-out to my favorite American actors -- Robert Duvall and Gene Hackman, who IMHO have more talent in their little fingers than any ten "big stars" of today put together.

I know this is a long and mostly OT post, so I'll end with a genuine "recently watched movie" which I felt was extremely good: THE LIVES OF OTHERS, whose low-key exploration of loyalty and betrayal I found truly exceptional. I thought it captured a thoroughly human mixture of despair and hope that speaks softly but eloquently to the truths of modern life. If you haven't seen it yet, you really should.

Kthxbye

:) BRocket :)

You guys go pretty deep with toy story.
Like on different level and stuff.
Next you'b be on with Sid from the ice age and Dostoiesky The idiot, Dum and dumber with brohers karamatzov ?

Igu Soni

Reader
Manuel: I do watch parodies, and I find most of Pixar's movies have parodical elements, it's just that I never laughed or felt I was supposed to laugh at a reference, and instead felt that I was really supposed to feel for the characters.

As for the Don Quixote-Sancho Panza thing, you did well seeing that whole extended parallel, which I completely missed. Most buddy comedies have one relatively normal person (Sancho) paired up with an insanely stupid one (Don Quixote), which is what I was referring to.

lionel

Reader
yes of course, Nastassja was unforgettable, blonde and with the pink sweater, in that long mirror scene.

Uhmmm. Double uhmmm.

I still think it's a good film, Wenders best film ( I haven't seen The American Friend), but I must recognise he's not a favorite director of mine.

I think you underrate him. But anyway, anyone who says 'The Americans have colonized our unconscious' is more than OK with me. What a statement.

Manuel76

Reader
I think you underrate him. But anyway, anyone who says 'The Americans have colonized our unconscious' is more than OK with me. What a statement.

Paris Texas and Alice in the cities are his two films I liked most. But Kings of the road, which is supposed to be his best film is perhaps too long and slow...

I didn't especially like Wings of desire and was terribly bored with Until the end of the world.