The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Ben Jackson

At the Oscars last night (early hours this morning in Nigerian and the rest of Africa), the much beloved blockbuster Oppenheimer won seven Oscars with wins in the categories: Best Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor amongst others. Emma Stone, surprisingly (according to some critics), won Best Actress category for her role in Poor Things, while Davine Joy Randolph won Best Supporting Actress for her role in The Holdovers. Meanwhile Zone of Interest won Best Foreign Film, while American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall and Billie Eilish won Best Adapted Screenplay, Original Screenplay and Best Original Song for Barbie respectively.

As expected, Oppenheimer dominated the Oscars, but I was most impressed with Stone winning her second Oscar for Poor Things, which by the way I saw yesterday and considered it, just like most people that has watched and reviewed it here, not really a great movie but filled with superb performances, especially Stone. Congrats to the winners though.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Emma Stone, surprisingly (according to some critics), won Best Actress category for her role in Poor Things,

I’m surprised at those critics’ surprise. Going into the night, it seemed like a coin flip between her and Lily Gladstone. The bigger upset was probably The Boy and the Heron winning best animated film over Spider-Man.

Bartleby

I’m surprised at those critics’ surprise. Going into the night, it seemed like a coin flip between her and Lily Gladstone. The bigger upset was probably The Boy and the Heron winning best animated film over Spider-Man.
You are right, Stone and Gladstone (or sadstone? just kidding hehe) were running a tight race till the very end, with the latter having just recently won the SAG awards, so maybe that was why many (myself included) believed she had some (even if slight) advantage. Even the former actress seemed to have been taken by surprise when her name was announced:

and I love that she considered this a shared win with Lily; she was my favourite, together with Sandra Hüller, despite Emma being great, as always.

Oh, and yes! The (second!) win for Miyazaki was so satisfying, even tho I haven't seen The Boy... yet. Just haven't had the chance... but it's always a great thing to see the Japanese master being recognised!

I was glad as well that Zone of Interest got best sound! Happy they went with the one that most used sound to tell the story.

Bartleby

Watched the first season of 3 Body Problem on Netflix, based on the Cixin Liu trilogy, and I loved it! It's intriguing, sometimes quasi-esoteric, it's full of ideas and cool imagery, and, most importantly, the characters all feel very human, it's not just the science that's impressive here...

It made me want to read the books to find out what happens in the end, even tho, apparently, the characters are quite different in the series (I read that one character from the books has been split into three in the series), and the writing has been said to not be all that great... I'll see for myself.

Anyway, a great way to spend the weekend lazily on the couch ;)

Liam

Administrator
^My ex is a HUGE fan of the books, and is dying to see the show! ? Glad to hear that it is well-made and intriguing; I will try and watch it myself soon.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Watched the first season of 3 Body Problem on Netflix, based on the Cixin Liu trilogy, and I loved it! It's intriguing, sometimes quasi-esoteric, it's full of ideas and cool imagery, and, most importantly, the characters all feel very human, it's not just the science that's impressive here...

It made me want to read the books to find out what happens in the end, even tho, apparently, the characters are quite different in the series (I read that one character from the books has been split into three in the series), and the writing has been said to not be all that great... I'll see for myself.

Anyway, a great way to spend the weekend lazily on the couch ;)

Glad to hear the series is good! I was a big fan of the first two books in the trilogy so I might check this out.

Bartleby

Hey, guys!

So, I'm starting a blog on Medium, and I've written a little about The Zone of Interest. Nothing fancy.

But if you guys could at least just click on the post and keep it open for at least 30 seconds (so it counts as read), I'd very much appreciate it!

No pressure, tho ?

Also if you can "Clap" the post (the equivalent of liking it, there's a clapping hands sign at the bottom of the page, on the left) it would help a bunch :)

That's it, thank you so much ?

Stevie B

Current Member
Hey, guys!

So, I'm starting a blog on Medium, and I've written a little about The Zone of Interest. Nothing fancy.

But if you guys could at least just click on the post and keep it open for at least 30 seconds (so it counts as read), I'd very much appreciate it!

No pressure, tho ?

Also if you can "Clap" the post (the equivalent of liking it, there's a clapping hands sign at the bottom of the page, on the left) it would help a bunch :)

That's it, thank you so much ?

Nice job on the article, Bartleby. You have a ? and a new follower from Minnesota!

Benny Profane

Hey, guys!

Please, do it on Substack too!

You might be paid on there!

Last edited: