The Ugliest Painting in the Wold

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Bacchante with a Panther — Camille Corot

bacchante-with-a-panther-1860.jpg

Liam

Administrator
I thought this was going to be that infamous artist who made a "painting" of the Virgin Mary using animal excrement. This is tame by all standards; but I do agree that it's ugly. And that bird, my god, it looks like a patch of pubic hair she ripped out and proffered to the panther. How did you come across it?

Uff, that painting really is ugly :/ but I have seen some disgusting paintings during a private view in a friends’ flat… It is rather hard for me to explain why they were that ugly, but most of them due to their colours and kind of how they were painted :/ I couldn’t understand why this was called art… nearly every child could have made them better

Ceoline

I admit it does look a bit, distasteful but this is nothing compared to some 'beautiful artworks' who in reality, lack beauty and/or form. It's something though.

nikiadorian

Can anything get uglier than this?

attachment.php

Attachments

• ht_spanish_painting_jesus_badly_restored_thg_120822_wmain.jpg
    ht_spanish_painting_jesus_badly_restored_thg_120822_wmain.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 46

That is indeed one of the most modern and wonderful paintings by Goya. Seeing it in El Prado is quite an experience, along with the rest of the pinturas negras he made to decorate his home. Not a painting I would like to hang in my home, but it's utterly wonderful.

As with regard to the topic, it's too vast. I choose Turner's 'Calais': he was the best painter of landscapes, but terrible sketching humans.

bury_calais_sands_at_low_water_nettoye.jpg

Antonio López's Spanish royal family's portrait is dreadful as well (I have not been able to find a better picture):

15754576047_bcf8be3b75_b.jpg

DianaHM

Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot was a French landscape and portrait painter as well as a printmaker in etching. I love his works. You can check Woman with a Pearl.