Translation Wish List

Gregg H.

Reader
Dear Santa:

I've been a fairly good boy this year. Could you please whisper into the ears of publishers in the U.S. and UK and ask them to publish more translations of poetry. In particular, could ask them for volumes by:

Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen
Pablo de Rokha
Jose Watanabe

I know, I know, Breyner's been done by Carcanet. But it is out of print and a mere selected volume. And sure Shearsman keeps promising the Rokha. So give them some encouragement to actually put it out.

I'll leave you more cookies this year in the hopes you'll come through for me.

I'd like a translation of the essay by Mandelstam called something like "The Wheat of Humanity". Actually a lot of his stuff seem really interesting according to what I've heard from people who read it in Russian, so I really wish I can read it someday. But considering that it's been so long since it was released I'm gonna assume that there are no plans to translate them, so I guess I'll just have to learn Russian...

Liam

Administrator
^I'm surprised it hasn't been translated into other languages, like German (who translate Russian classics with enviable regularity). Do you know how long the essay is? What is so special about it? I've never heard of it before (though I've read M's poetry and loved it).

Liam

Administrator
Never mind, found it here, it's really short and beautifully written. If you want I can translate it (into English) for you. Sorry, can't do Swedish, not one of my languages, :eek:.

Liam

Administrator
My own hope for a translated title will probably never be realized: but I do wish to read the Estonian poet Ivar Grünthal's novel-in-verse The Bells of St Peter's (1962) someday.

Oh my God! You are so kind! If you could translate the essay to English I would be forever grateful. No stress, though - you can do one sentence a day if you want.

I heard about this essay at a seminar, a Russian professor was talking about it and it sounded so interesting. I have been looking for an English version since then with no luck. And of course, the poems I've read by him have been very good too.