Understanding Nobel Prize: 1907--- 1912

Ben Jackson

The Nobel Prizes in 1907, 08, 09, 10, 11 and 12 were awarded to Kipling, Eucken, Lagerolf, Heysee, Maeterlinck and Hauptmann.

The shortlist for 1907 was Kipling, Lagerolf and Swinburne. Kipling was selected for his "fertile ideas and imagination," in his then recent work Kim. Kipling was chosen was the laureate.

The 1908 shortlist was between English poet Swinburne, Eucken and Lagerolf. Wirsen, against the radical Lagerolf, backed up Swinburne despite acknowledging Kipling's recent Nobel triumph. He blamed Swinburne's fondness of the "wicked Baudelaire" but was happy in the recent poems which discussed British empire. Lagerolf was dismissed by Wirsen for "her radical approach demonstrated in works like Gosta Berlings' Saga), but the other committee members praised Lagerolf's rich imagination and called her " one of Europe's finest writers." At the end, Eucken was chosen as a compromise choice.

In 1909, Lagerolf was shortlisted alongside Belgians Maeterlinck and Emile Verhaeren. Wirsen yet again, knowing that Swinburne had died fee months in 1909, launched Maeterlinck and Verhaeren. He said, understanding Maeterlinck's works, that he was one of the "finest writers in the continent, " and praised his "brilliant compositions in works like The Blind and Pellaeas and Melisande." But unfortunately, he couldn't get the support he needed, and Lageolf was voted instead.

In 1910, Paul Von Heysee, Maeterlinck, Thomas Hardy, and Anatole France was shortlisted. Thomas Hardy works were deemed "too immoral and ungodly, " and was dismissed for "depictions of fallen women and his atheism." Anatole France was dismissed "as not having the noble idealism that should characterize those awarding the Nobel Prize." Heysee's selection seems vague, but it's suggested that he was one of the last realist acclaimed in Germany atill alive from 1850s and was praised for his oustanding novellas. Maeterlinck's evaluationn was similar from the previous year.

In 1911 & 1912, Henry James, Maeterlinck, George Bernard Shaw, Gerhart Hauptmann were shortlisted. Henry James was commended for his "fine style and conversational and situation novels," but was dismissed for "lack of concentration, and his recent outing 'Wings of a Dove,' too improbable and odious in subject." Maeterlinck was praised as 'a poet of admirable power and versatility is surprising great. His choice will be like in most quarters, because this poet enjoys a world reputation and his writings are widely read and accepted." Bernard Shaw was seen as "works lacking the ideal direction." Hauptmann's The Weavers played a vital role in Hauptmann's victory, though he was praised for been one of the finest naturalist in Europe. Hence for Nobel in 1911 and 1912, Materlinck and Hauptmann were chosen.

From me, looking at the recipients in this period of Wirsen, there are so many winners who have gone into obscurity: Heysee, Bjorson, Mistral and Echegaray, Eucken and of course Prudhomme. I read Maeterlinck's The Blind and Poems, and can say that he's very underrated. Kipling's Kim is a beautiful book, but I feel his poems are somewhat not my cup of tea. Sienkiewicz's Quo Vadis seems to me one of the finest historical works I read in my teens, and I agree that it displayed the power of Tolstoy l addressing a turbulent time in Roman history (in the age of Emperor Nero) and Lagerolf's Nils is also very interesting, but I can see why people called the period (one of the worst in Nobel history. Seriously, I don't know which decade is worse, this or the 30s). There are some writers I would love to read: Hauptmann and more of Lagerolf.

It seemed that the period 1900---1939, the committee expressed no interest in the innovations taken place on literature. It wasn't till 1946 that the reward for modernism started to pay off. And for what I said earlier about Freud, it seemed that the Academy was tired of awarding writers in the non-fiction areas. And since dawn of 21st century, only one writer from the non-fiction area has been awarded: the oral historian Alexevich. What I really think is that a prize recognizing writers mainly in the non-fiction field: philosophers, Travel writers, diarists, literary/art critics, historians, biographers/memoirists, linguists/semioticians, anthropologists, nature writing e.t.c. in this way, it could have provided equity for intellectuals in other fields. It seems now that the Nobel doesn't recognize other fields of knowledge but literature. I also feel that if the Nobel literature prize is awarded to two writers instead of one, maybe it might ameliorate things. The Nobel can't go to everybody, that's for sure, but at least the list of deserving names (am not talking of writers like Joyce, Woolf, Proust, Kafka, Lorca, writers that weren't even nominated), like Moravia, Nabokov and Kazantzakis could have, maybe, been awarded.

As I have concluded with the report/evaluation of the committee between 1907---1912, I have officially come to the end (or to the beginning) of every deliberation the Nobel committee and Swedish Academy have had.

Last edited:

Leseratte

The Nobel Prizes in 1907, 08, 09, 10, 11 and 12 were awarded to Kipling, Eucken, Lagerolf, Heysee, Maeterlinck and Hauptmann.

The shortlist for 1907 was Kipling and George Meredith. George Meredith was dismissed for "artificial and febrile in imagination, " while Kipling was "fertile in ideas and imagination," in his then recent work Kim. Kipling was chosen was the laureate.

The 1908 shortlist was between English poet Swinburne, Eucken and Lagerolf. Wirsen, against the radical Lagerolf, backed up Swinburne despite acknowledging Kipling's recent Nobel triumph. He blamed Swinburne's fondness of the "wicked Baudelaire" but was happy in the recent poems which discussed British empire. Lagerolf was dismissed by Wirsen for "her radical approach demonstrated in works like Gosta Berlings' Saga), but the other committee members praised Lagerolf's rich imagination and called her " one of Europe's finest writers." At the end, Eucken was chosen as a compromise choice.

In 1909, Lagerolf was shortlisted alongside Belgians Maeterlinck and Emile Verhaeren. Wirsen yet again, knowing that Swinburne had died fee months in 1909, launched Maeterlinck and Verhaeren. He said, understanding Maeterlinck's works, that he was one of the "finest writers in the continent, " and praised his "brilliant compositions in works like The Blind and Pellaeas and Melisande." But unfortunately, he couldn't get the support he needed, and Lageolf was voted instead.

In 1910, Paul Von Heysee, Maeterlinck, Thomas Hardy, and Anatole France was shortlisted. Thomas Hardy works were deemed "too immoral and ungodly, " and was dismissed for "depictions of fallen women and his atheism." Anatole France was dismissed "as not having the noble idealism that should characterize those awarding the Nobel Prize." Heysee's selection seems vague, but it's suggested that he was one of the last realist acclaimed in Germany atill alive from 1850s and was praised for his oustanding novellas. Maeterlinck's evaluationn was similar from the previous year.

In 1911 & 1912, Henry James, Maeterlinck, George Bernard Shaw, Gerhart Hauptmann were shortlisted. Henry James was commended for his "fine style and conversational and situation novels," but was dismissed for "lack of concentration, and his recent outing 'Wings of a Dove,' too improbable and odious in subject." Maeterlinck was praised as 'a poet of admirable power and versatility is surprising great. His choice will be like in most quarters, because this poet enjoys a world reputation and his writings are widely read and accepted." Bernard Shaw was seen as "works lacking the ideal direction." Hauptmann's The Weavers played a vital role in Hauptmann's victory, though he was praised for been one of the finest naturalist in Europe. Hence for Nobel in 1911 and 1912, Materlinck and Hauptmann were chosen.

From me, looking at the recipients in this period of Wirsen, there are so many winners who have gone into obscurity: Heysee, Bjorson, Mistral and Echegaray, Eucken and of course Prudhomme. I read Maeterlinck's The Blind and Poems, and can say that he's very underrated. Kipling's Kim is a beautiful book, but I feel his poems are somewhat not my cup of tea. Sienkiewicz's Quo Vadis seems to me one of the finest historical works I read in my teens, and I agree that it displayed the power of Tolstoy l addressing a turbulent time in Roman history (in the age of Emperor Nero) and Lagerolf's Nils is also very interesting, but I can see why people called the period (one of the worst in Nobel history. Seriously, I don't know which decade is worse, this or the 30s). There are some writers I would love to read: Hauptmann and more of Lagerolf.

It seemed that the period 1900---1939, the committee expressed no interest in the innovations taken place on literature. It wasn't till 1946 that the reward for modernism started to pay off. And for what I said earlier about Freud, it seemed that the Academy was tired of awarding writers in the non-fiction areas. And since dawn of 21st century, only one writer from the non-fiction area has been awarded: the oral historian Alexevich. What I really think is that a prize recognizing writers mainly in the non-fiction field: philosophers, Travel writers, diarists, literary/art critics, historians, biographers/memoirists, linguists/semioticians, anthropologists, nature writing e.t.c. in this way, it could have provided equity for intellectuals in other fields. It seems now that the Nobel doesn't recognize other fields of knowledge but literature. I also feel that if the Nobel literature prize is awarded to two writers instead of one, maybe it might ameliorate things. The Nobel can't go to everybody, that's for sure, but at least the list of deserving names (am not talking of writers like Joyce, Woolf, Proust, Kafka, Lorca, writers that weren't even nominated), like Moravia, Nabokov and Kazantzakis could have, maybe, been awarded.

As I have concluded with the report/evaluation of the committee between 1907---1912, I have officially come to the end (or to the beginning) of every deliberation the Nobel committee and Swedish Academy have had.
Hearty thanks for this survey, Ben, for the time and the research you spent on it. I have one curiosity:what was or were your sources? But answer when you have got time, there is no hurry

Ben Jackson

Hearty thanks for this survey, Ben, for the time and the research you spent on it. I have one curiosity:what was or were your sources? But answer when you have got time, there is no hurry

Well,

The articles on the Nobel Prize in Literature 1901---1950 and the general survey of the prize throughout the last century published in the Nobel Prize website, the book Nobel Prize: A study of the criteria by late Swedish Academy member Kjell Espmark, and Wikipedia articles (for the years 1902, 04, 08, 09 and 1913, 1955, 1956), articles by Danish literary critic on Johannes V Jensen, articles on Albert Schweitzer, Ernest Hemingway, Junichiro Tanizaki (about his close chance in 1960) are the sources that helped.

Ben Jackson

The prize for the year 1907 was awarded to Rudyard Kipling "in consideration of powers of observation, originality and imagination and virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world famous author." It was announced 10th October 1907.

Shortlisted writers and their key works:

Selma Lagerolf (same books reviewed in 1904 plus Wonderful Adventures of Nils)

Algernon Charles Swinburne (same books debated in 1903)

Paul Bourget
The Disciple
Love's Cruel Enigma
Cosmopolis

Rudyard Kipling (same books debated in 1903)

First Time Nominees

Joao Bonance
Holder Drachmann
Ian Maclaren
Andres Manjon
Eduardo Benet
Georgios Souris
Angel Guimera Y Jorge
Paul Bourget

Nominees that would become Laureates
Selma Lagerolf (Nobel Laureate 1909)

Nominees by Swedish Academy members:
Selma Lagerolf (Gottfried Billing)
Algernon Charles Swinburne (Carl Bildt)

Nominees by Nobel Laureates
George Brandes (Anatole France). France was a member of the French Academy and would win the Prize in 1921.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

Concerning Paul Bourget's authorship, Bourget was rejected:

Alas, grounded in its novel sequence, Bourget's preoccupation with aberration and fondness of subtle erotic psychological analyses have gained an underlying and vital perception. This ideal, not marked by rigor and upholding ethical religiosity, marked by animating immoral manners which has made him unworthy of Nobel Prize.

Concerning Kipling:

Lack to nobility shall only indicate that which manifest itself in certain vulgar drastic songs. However, one can detect the freshness, immediacy and ethical energy.

Kipling's ideal quality's vitally artistic, of a traditional testamentary or perhaps brush puritanical and religious without vanity and rhetoric prejudices. It's ethics is idealistic through one of co-religious mystic conscientiousness. Kipling's law-abiding, hard of flesh and obedience. Imagination's of emotional in character, essential in mind to reveal, difference to naturalism in it's tedious documentation with its off-photograph, shied of abstraction and symbolism, and also free from pagan and hedonism. Kipling has achieved softness and wholesome ideality.

Lagerlof, concerning the books of Nils, was rejected "arbitrary blending of fairy tales and reality which has occurred."

Leseratte

The prize for the year 1907 was awarded to Rudyard Kipling "in consideration of powers of observation, originality and imagination and virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world famous author." It was announced 10th October 1907.

Selma Lagerolf (same books reviewed in 1904 plus Wonderful Adventures of Nils)

Algernon Charles Swinburne (same books debated in 1903)

Paul Bourget
The Disciple
Love's Cruel Enigma
Cosmopolis

George Meredith (same books debated in 1904)

Rudyard Kipling (same books debated in 1903)

First Time Nominees

Joao Bonance
Holder Drachmann
Ian Maclaren
Andres Manjon
Eduardo Benet
Georgios Souris
Angel Guimera Y Jorge
Paul Bourget

Nominees that would become Laureates

Nominees by Swedish Academy members:
Selma Lagerolf (Gottfried Billing)

Nominees by Nobel Laureates
George Brandes (Anatole France). France was a member of the French Academy and would win the Prize in 1921.
But what the heck is meant by "virility of ideas", Ben? Can a woman have them?

Ben Jackson

But what the heck is meant by "virility of ideas", Ben? Can a woman have them?

Virility of ideas, in the context of Nobel Committee, refers to literary productivity. By the age of 42, the year he won the Prize, Kipling wrote more than eleven books. The Committe referred to Kipling's energetic literary productions above.

Ben Jackson

The Nobel Literature Prize for 1908 was awarded to Rudolf Christoph Eucken "in recognition of his earnest search for truth, his penetrating power of thought, his wide range of vision and the warmth and strength in presentation with which in his numerous works he has vindicated and developed an idealistic philosophy of life." It was awarded on 8th October, 1908. 16 writers were nominated for the Prize.

Rudolf Christoph Eucken

Basic Concept of Modern Man's Thoughts
Problem of Human Life
Struggle for Spiritual Content of Life
Life's Basis and Life's Ideal
Meaning and Values of Life
Introduction to Philosophy of Mind

Algernon Charles Swinburne (same books reviewed in 1903 & 1907 plus his collected essays)

Selma Lagerolf (same books evaluated in 1904 & 1907)

First Time Nominees
Rudolf Christoph Eucken
Julio Calcano
Alfred Hutchinson
Edmondo de Amicis
Adolf von Harnack
Elizabeth Forster Nietszche

Nominees that would become laureates:

Nominees nominated by Swedish Academy Member:

Antonio Fogazzaro (Harald Hjarne, Hans Hildebrand, Carl David arf Wirsen)

Selma Lagerolf (Claes Annerstedt)

Female Nominees
Elizabeth Forster Nietszche
Selma Lagerolf

Ben Jackson

I talked about the Nobel Committee's intense debate between the shortlisted writers for this year, here are the points raised by the Nobel Committee members Esias Tegner Jr, Harald Hjarne and Carl David arf Wirsen.

From Wirsen concerning Swinburne:

Atalanta in Calydon, along with Trilogy of Maria Stuart, is perhaps, considerably dubbed one of the finest dramatic work since the days of Goethe and Schiller. But sometimes he can be erotic, as in Poems and Ballads, although he's daring. The form of poetry shows beauty and each individual poem's quite adorable and full of grace. However, one should object to the poetry of the crisis period (the unwholesome, perverse genius which became marked with touches of Baudelaire).

Swinburne's poetry, sometimes during the hazardous crises, shows abnormal in the dark passion, darkness and whimsical mixture of adopted lush scholarship and lust which strive for freedom, become negative and shied all bonds of its abhorrence of hypocrisy any art which suggest to loathing before any positive religion. (On religious object become also expression that estimate discontent of poets... Unilateral cling to form of medieval cult and pursuit of church in which the self carry out development in challenging tone which he has accepted.

Swinburne's Poems and Ballads further series display the intransigent republican now celebrating massive constitution of monarchy and when the poet whose earlier tone of pleasure have now, onto the beautiful lyricism the innocence of childhood and feeling of singing chord matching sound with purity of heart. Duke of Gandhia, on the other hand, shows the old Swinburne (still always the same taste for the dreadful perversity and disgusting pleasure engaging the art to delight. For us, we remember the certain poetry of impetuous youth which the poet knows of.

Concerning Selma Lagerolf:

Gosta Berling's Saga shows range of its descriptions is unnatural, that the wonder is highly the simple natural truth has been missed. There's a display of conflict of classical ideal.
Wirsen continues on the author:

Another exaggerated and affectation observed interfere on the old poet Tegner and Runeberg (aesthetic truth and narrative blend itself, sometimes, with a fashion which the objectiveity adopt). The book becomes unable to depict the ideal and depicts the emphasise the times of people (the error which the illusion distrust but also that the story here doesn't show impression, tales which, in moments of truth, fails to impress the actuality of the story.

Esias Tegner Jr commented on Selma Lagerolf:

She has duty of marvels of ideals which mankind appears. She has the visions and skills which formulate national motivation. In addition, it can along the period be recommend for the Nobel homeland to announce to the public also a literary ownership.

Esias Tegner rejected Swinburne's candidature, first on the grounds that Kipling had recently won for England, and unity of aberration. With the heated debate between Wirsen which expressed his peculiar dislike for Lagerolf, and Tegner's support for Lagerolf, Harald Hjarne, a noted Swedish Historian, provided a solution by suggesting Eucken as compromise:

We would indicate that we don't fear, independently, to acknowledge the responsibility of failing to select a Laureate. The document would show that the judgement would be put on hold. To prepare for happening of selection of established world renown, the recommendation of balanced idealism and literary talent shall be the choice which few have required. And Eucken posses the valid idealism.

It was not surprising that Hjarne presented the Ceremony Speech of Eucken's authorship at Nobel Ceremony.

Leseratte

Virility of ideas, in the context of Nobel Committee, refers to literary productivity. By the age of 42, the year he won the Prize, Kipling wrote more than eleven books. The Committe referred to Kipling's energetic literary productions above.
Thanks, Ben it's a rather strange expression for me. I would say fertility of ideas or productivity of ideas.

Ben Jackson

The Nobel Literature Prize in 1909 was awarded to Selma Lagerolf "in appreciation of lofty ideals, vivid imagination and spiritual perceptions that characterize her writings." She became the first female writer when she was announced as the laureate on 7th October. 21 Writers were nominated for the Prize.

First Time Nominees:

Verner Von Heidenstam
Eugene Voglec
Martin Grief
Francesco D'Ovidio
Ernest Lavisee
Salvador Rueda
Emile Verhaeren

Shortlisted writers and their Key works:

Anatole France (same books evaluated in 1904 plus White Stone, Penguin Island and Tales of Jacques Tounebroche)

Selma Lagerolf (same books evaluated in 1904 and 1907--1908)

Maurice Maeterlinck (same books evaluated in 1903 plus Intelligence of Flowers, Double Garden and Blue Bird)

Emile Verhaeren

La Multiple Splendour
Afternoon
Sunlit Hours
Les Forces Tumultuenses
Les Villages Illusiores
Le Soires and Le Debacles

Angel Guimera Y Jorge
Daughter of the Sea
Lowlands

Nominees that would become Laureate

Verner Heidenstam (1916 Winner)
Anatole France (1921 Winner)
Maurice Maeterlinck (1911 Winner)

Nominees by Swedish Academy

Selma Lagerolf (Harald Hjarne, Claes Annerstedt, Gottfrid Billing, Vitalis Norstrom)

Nominated Female Writers
Only Selma Lagerolf was nominated.

Ben Jackson

Concerning Maurice Maeterlinck's candidature, works like:

The Blind and Aglavane and Selysette are beautiful trinkets of world literature which's not of loss but of a powerful and heavenly.

Maeterlinck's candidature was well supported by Wirsen, despite Maeterlinck's ardent symbolism. But Esias Tegner's similar argument for Lagerolf the previous year was sustained in the current year, and this time, was well supported by the other members of the Committee:

In the case of Emile Verhaeren, Wirsen also favoured the Belgian poets recent volumes "which certain heroism, clarity and wholesome force, has replaced the morbidity and obscurity of the earlier volumes." For Antole France, nothing much was spoken "except for the manly act in the Dreyfus Affair which reveals an ethical idealism." It refers to the famous Dreyfus case of the late 1890s and early years of 1900s where France supported Zola. Guimera's candidature was rejected in connection of the prize attracting gesture of political significance.

Ben Jackson

The Nobel Literature Prize for 1910 was awarded to Paul Heyse "as tribute to consumate artistry, permeated with idealism, which he has demonstrated durinh his long productive careerr as lyric poet, dramatist, novelist and writer of world-renowned stories." It was announced on 6th October. 25 writers were nominated for the prize this year.

Shortlisted Writers and Their Key Works:

Thomas Hardy

Far from Madding Crowd
Tess of D'Urbervilles
Jude the Obscure
Mayor of Casterbridge
Return of the Native

Maurice Maeterlinck (same books evaluated in 1903 and 1909)
Anatole France (same books evaluated in 1904 & 1909)

Paul Heyse

Four Phases of Love
L'Arriabata and Other Tales
Portrait of a Mother
Birth of Venus
Manon
In Paradise
Children of the World

Antonio Fogazzaro
The Saint
The Women
Daniel Cortis
Malombra
Little World of the Past

Pierre Loti

Last Days of Peking
Madame Chrysantheme
An Iceland Fisherman
Brother Yves
Book of Pity and Death
Story of a Child

First Time Nominees
Paul Heyse
Gustav Warneck
Wihelm Benigus
Robert Bridges
Andrew Lang
Molly Seawell
Pierre Loti
William Dean Howells
Eduard Rod
Alfred Fouilee
Thomas Hardy
Marie Von Eber Eschenbach

Nominees that would become laureates

Anatole France (1921 Winner)
Maurice Maeterlinck (1911 Winner)

Nominees by Swedish Academy
Maurice Maeterlinck (Carl Bildt)
Alfred Fouilee (Carl David af Wirsen)

Female writers nominated:

Marie Von Eber Eschenbach

Ben Jackson

Concerning Antonio Fogazarro's Nobel Candidature, Wirsen commented on "the noble and artistic and aesthetic ideology with flow of conservatism," but it was revealed that Heyse "possessing literary chracteristics of Idealism of Goethe," took the upper hand. Pierre Loti's was considered by Wirsen as worthy of the prize through his mastery of the form and its poetic atmosphere, but was rejected because:

Madame Chrysantheme hardly represent, however, the idealism, with the work characterized by morbid character. Further, his work also doesn't (more or less), possess unwholesome features through exotic lushness and bizarre eroticism and melancholia defying the logic toward an insurmountable skepticism.

Ben Jackson

The Nobel Prize for 1911 was awarded to Maurice Maeterlinck "in appreciation of his many-sided literary activities, especially of his dramatic works, which are distinguished by wealth of imagination and by poetic fancy which reveals, sometimes in the guise of fairytale, deep inspiration, while in a mysterious way they appeal to the readers own feelings and stimulate their imaginations." It was announced on 5th October, 1911. 27 Writers were nominated for the Nobel Prize.

Shortlisted Writers and their Key Works:

Maurice Maeterlinck (same works evaluated in 1903, 1909 & 1910, plus Death)

Henry James

Portrait of a Lady
Wings of a Dove
The Ambassadors
Golden Bowl
Beast in the Jungle
The Bostonians
Princess Cassamassima
Turn of the Screw
Awkward Age

Bernard Shaw

Mrs Warren Profession
Arms and the Man
Candida
Man and Superman
Caesar and Cleopatra
Major Barbara
Devil's Disciple

First Time Nominees:

Karl Gjellerup
Bernard Shaw
Albert de Mun
Gustav Froding
Henry James
Herald Hoffding
Peter Rossegger
Ernest Von Der Recke
Karl Schonerr

Female writers nominated this year

Molly Seawell
Marie von Eber Eschenbach

Nominees that would become Laureates:

Karl Gjellerup (1917 Laureate)
Bernard Shaw (1925 Laureate)
Verner Heidenstam (1916 Laureate)
Anatole France (1921 Laureate)

Nominees nominated by Swedish Academy:
Maurice Maeterlinck (Carl Bildt)
August Strindberg (Nathan Soderblom). August Strindberg's nomination was sent to the Nobel Committee, but his nomination arrived late and was retrieved.