What's in your 'most played songs' list?

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Music collection management programs, like iTunes, are wonderful things. Recently I filtered classical pieces out of my 'Top 30 most played songs' smart playlist. I was surprised by what it revealed. Turns out what I like the most is fluffy pop, with a touch of singer songwriters.

How about you, my fellow WLFers, what (classical tracks excluded) is in your Top 30 most played songs list? Not your favorite songs, but the songs you actually listen to the most.

1-Explode Coracao, Maria Bethania
2-Fruta Madura, Amelinha
3-Aitai, Chikako Sawada
4-Rock and Roll Girls, John Fogerty
5-Chas! y aparezco a tu lado, Alex y Cristina
6-Mais, Alexia Bontempo
7-Odoru Ponpokorin, BB Queens
8-O Progresso, Roberto Carlos
9-Wish you were here, Pink Floyd
10-Resistiendo, Teresa Parodi
11-Pedro Canoero, Mercedes Sosa
12-La Priere, George Brassens
13-Il mio canto libero, Lucio Battisti
14-Que hago ahora?, Silvio Rodriguez
15-Para Todos, Chico Buarque
16-Bandeira Flor, Daniela Mercury
17-Sugar Baby Love, Ishida Youko
18-Oro/La Canzone del Sole, Mina/Lucio Battisti.
19-Vuelvo a trepar naranjos, Teresa Parodi
20-Futuros Amantes, Gal Costa
21-Il Mio Canto Libero, Lucio Battisti
22-Kimi ni Juice wo Katte Ageru, Tamashii
23-Shinkokyuu, Splash Candy
24-A Case of you, Joni Mitchell
25-I Giardini di Marzo, Mina
26-La casa del serpente, Mina
27-L'important c'est la rose, Becaud
28-Seishun no Kage, Fukuyama Masuharu
29-A whiter shade of pale, Procol Harum
30-Miagete Goran Yoru no Hoshi wo, Kyu Sakamoto

parya_

I always listen Yann Tiersen. I love classical music generally. Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Brahms, Beethoven...

Ben Jackson

Another old thread to talk about.

30 songs on playlist:

Like a Prayer Madonna
Man in the Mirror Michael Jackson
Let's Stay Together Al Green
Leave the Door Open Silk Sonic
Hey Jude The Beatles
Rehab Amy Winehouse
Streets of Philadelphia Bruce Springsteen
Uptown Funk Mark Ronson Bruno Mars
Hello Adele
Clocks Coldplay
Graceland Paul Simon
Nothing Compares 2U Sinead O'Connor
Purple Rain Prince
Adore Prince
One U2
Suspicious Minds Elvis Presley
Stranger in Moscow Michael Jackson
La Bamba Los Lobos
Smooth Santana Rob Thomas
Go Your Own Way Fleetwood Mac
Pasttime Paradise Stevie Wonder
Alejandro Lady Gaga
Another Day in Paradise Phil Collins
Billie Jean Michael Jackson
Butter BTS
Visions of Love Mariah Carey
The Best Tina Turner
Miss You Much Janet Jackson
Running Up the Hill Kate Bush
What's Going On Marvin Gaye
What Goes Around Comes Around Justin Timberlake

These songs reflect on the genres I love listening to: R&B/Soul, Pop and Rock. There are so many songs I could've included here, but since it's 30, I think this'll be alright.

^ Many songs on your list that I really like, Ben.

Mariah Carey, like Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, and Céline Dion, really has singing CHOPS. All four of them could have sung opera with the right training, because each has the multi-octave range and technical finesse that are pre-requisites.

Janet Jackson isn’t that kind of singer, but her Control album is an inspiration (and I like it better than anything by Michael). I often say that my guiding pop songs are Control and George Michael's Freedom! '90. Because freedom and control are IT.

My favorite Stevie Wonder track is As. I puzzle occasionally about an uncomfortable fact: His songwriting ability essentially deserted him before the age of 30, and I have never heard a convincing explanation of why. (As a friend of mine put it, “Probably about an album’s worth of good stuff after SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, but yes essentially, sadly true.”)

Prince was the best pop musician of his generation. My sister has seen EVERYONE in concert except for Bruce Springsteen, and she tells me that Prince live was far, far ahead of anyone else, just amazing.

Last edited:
Los Lobos and Sinéad O’Connor participated in this classic 1988 Hal Willner-produced anthology of interpretations of Disney film songs. It holds up beautifully. Tom Waits’ Marxist-dystopian take on “Heigh Ho” alone is worth the price of admission.

DF86D7E4-BB3D-4672-9285-8BDDDC7FB2F4.jpeg

Leseratte

Music collection management programs, like iTunes, are wonderful things. Recently I filtered classical pieces out of my 'Top 30 most played songs' smart playlist. I was surprised by what it revealed. Turns out what I like the most is fluffy pop, with a touch of singer songwriters.

How about you, my fellow WLFers, what (classical tracks excluded) is in your Top 30 most played songs list? Not your favorite songs, but the songs you actually listen to the most.

1-Explode Coracao, Maria Bethania
2-Fruta Madura, Amelinha
3-Aitai, Chikako Sawada
4-Rock and Roll Girls, John Fogerty
5-Chas! y aparezco a tu lado, Alex y Cristina
6-Mais, Alexia Bontempo
7-Odoru Ponpokorin, BB Queens
8-O Progresso, Roberto Carlos
9-Wish you were here, Pink Floyd
10-Resistiendo, Teresa Parodi
11-Pedro Canoero, Mercedes Sosa
12-La Priere, George Brassens
13-Il mio canto libero, Lucio Battisti
14-Que hago ahora?, Silvio Rodriguez
15-Para Todos, Chico Buarque
16-Bandeira Flor, Daniela Mercury
17-Sugar Baby Love, Ishida Youko
18-Oro/La Canzone del Sole, Mina/Lucio Battisti.
19-Vuelvo a trepar naranjos, Teresa Parodi
20-Futuros Amantes, Gal Costa
21-Il Mio Canto Libero, Lucio Battisti
22-Kimi ni Juice wo Katte Ageru, Tamashii
23-Shinkokyuu, Splash Candy
24-A Case of you, Joni Mitchell
25-I Giardini di Marzo, Mina
26-La casa del serpente, Mina
27-L'important c'est la rose, Becaud
28-Seishun no Kage, Fukuyama Masuharu
29-A whiter shade of pale, Procol Harum
30-Miagete Goran Yoru no Hoshi wo, Kyu Sakamoto
Maria Bethânia- Selection of songs

A recent enthusiasm of mine, about whom the Brazilian members of the Forum may have opinions, is the besuited pop baritone Daniel Boaventura, who I think is the best reviver of Seventies and Eighties songs working today. He can be a belter on-stage, and it is often thrilling, but this recording of “Captain of Her Heart” shows his mastery of tone, hitting the notes, enunciation, subtle swing.

3A2F1AFB-C584-444A-97FD-55FB113A10AD.jpeg

Thanks, Patrick. I know Boaventura mainly as an actor In theater and TV. Maybe his acting in musicals has also boosted his musical career.

I am sure it has! Something that impresses me is that his English enunciation when singing is really good. I don’t know if he is conversationally fluent in English. He has developed a large following on YouTube.

Leseratte

True! Here you have him in Sinatra mood! As for the following in You Tube or Instagram, Brazilian actors and actresses have to develop it to get their parts.

Ben Jackson

^ Many songs on your list that I really like, Ben.

Mariah Carey, like Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, and Céline Dion, really has singing CHOPS. All four of them could have sung opera with the right training, because each has the multi-octave range and technical finesse that are pre-requisites.

Janet Jackson isn’t that kind of singer, but her Control album is an inspiration (and I like it better than anything by Michael). I often say that my guiding pop songs are Control and George Michael's Freedom! '90. Because freedom and control are IT.

My favorite Stevie Wonder track is As. I puzzle occasionally about an uncomfortable fact: His songwriting ability essentially deserted him before the age of 30, and I have never heard a convincing explanation of why. (As a friend of mine put it, “Probably about an album’s worth of good stuff after SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, but yes essentially, sadly true.”)

Prince was the best pop musician of his generation. My sister has seen EVERYONE in concert except for Bruce Springsteen, and she tells me that Prince live was far, far ahead of anyone else, just amazing.

Agree with you about Carey. Carey, Houston and Celine were often compared to each other in terms of their vocal powers. I love almost everything by these three artistes, though I love Houston and Celine Dion more than Carey.

As for Wonder, I do like As as well. I believe that almost all the songs from Songs in the Key of Life album is so great and wonderful. Definitely a classic album, easily one of my top ten albums of all time. Every sing in that album displayed creative powers never before expressed by Wonder or even in R&B genre as a whole. From Pastime Paradise, As, Sir Duke, Isn't She Lovely, just name it. It was an incredible, expansive masterpiece. One of those albums that truly deserve Grammy Album of the Year. Many bemoaned that Stevie's music quality after Songs in the Key album, which was done in the classic period of Wonder (between 1972-1976), the period that cemented Wonder's reputation as one of the finest in history, declined after he turned 27/28.

Haven't seen many performances of Prince except his performance at the Grammys in 1985 and Super Bowl in 2007. While his Grammy performance was amazing (I do think Michael's 1988 Grammy performance was way better than his), Prince's Super Bowl's performance remains the best I've ever seen. Prince, no doubt, was one of the best of his generation, in fact in history. I once mentioned before that why Jackson was a perfectionist, Prince was an exceptional avant-gardist.

And to be honest Pat, you prefer Janet over Michael? I know that Janet's good, in fact brilliant, but I do see Michael clearly better than her, in fact one of music's finest.

^ I didn’t like Michael’s personality. His music is well-produced, but usually leaves me cold, although I do like Man in the Mirror.

My favorite Prince song is Vicki Waiting from the Batman album (most of which was not used in the 1989 film). Killer tune and lyrics:

Talk of children still frightens me
Is my character enough to be
One that deserves a copy made?
This I one day, I hope to see
Until then she's held at bay
By my animal-like persistence

“Held at bay”, damn, I want to applaud.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

^ I didn’t like Michael’s personality. His music is well-produced, but usually leaves me cold, although I do like Man in the Mirror.

My favorite Prince song is Vicki Waiting from the Batman album (most of which was not used in the 1989 film). Killer tune and lyrics:

Talk of children still frightens me
Is my character enough to be
One that deserves a copy made?
This I one day, I hope to see
Until then she's held at bay
By my animal-like persistence

“Held at bay”, damn, I want to applaud.

I don't really like Michael's personality too, but he's very talented. I think his early exposure to celebrity lifestyle and fame (he started usingng at age of eight), affected his attitude in adult years, suffering Peter-Pan complex in the process.