WLF Prize 2022 - Fleur Jaeggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartleby

This is a space for sharing thoughts on Fleur Jaeggy's works read for our WLF Prize in Literature project.

From my reading of Jaeggy, I would personally say that either Sweet Days of Discipline or Last Vanities (a collection of stories)--both of which are short (about 100 pages each)--would be a good introduction to her style and themes.

Six of her eight books have been translated into English:
The Water Statues
Sweet Days of Discipline
Last Vanities
S. S. Proleterka
These Possible Lives

I Am the Brother of XX

Last edited:

Ludus

Reader
I'm very glad Jaeggy made the list. She is an amazing writer.

I've only read I Am the Brother of XX and found it an amazing collection of short pieces of narrative prose. I will be reading soon S.S. Proleterka.

ministerpumpkin

Jaeggy is such an interesting writer. Glad to see her getting some attention. She's had a few books come out in (English) translation recently and hopefully we'll get the remaining two soon. October is a great time to read her works!

Out of curiosity, does anyone who's been following the Library know if Jaeggy's ever had a substantial number of books checked out or maybe just a couple here and there?

Wanted to share these pics, by the way.

First, here's some shots from her younger days.

And here's Willem Dafoe reading Sweet Days of Discipline.

Leseratte

Jaeggy is such an interesting writer. Glad to see her getting some attention. She's had a few books come out in (English) translation recently and hopefully we'll get the remaining two soon. October is a great time to read her works!

Out of curiosity, does anyone who's been following the Library know if Jaeggy's ever had a substantial number of books checked out or maybe just a couple here and there?

Good pics! If you don´t look at her eyes, what you see is a well behaved school girl.!

I hadn't realised she was married to Roberto Calasso (not that it matters, but it's interesting).

nagisa

Spiky member
I've read Les douces années du châtiment, am slowly working through Je suis le frère de XX, and own La peur du ciel. I'm going slowly because I've been using her to get into reading in Italian: I read a couple of pages or one short story in the French translation, and reread in Italian.

I quite like her glaciality. Glad to have nominated her, and that she made the shortlist.

Leseratte

For those, who like me, never read anything by Jaeggy. The rather extensive Leseprobe in English. which seems to cover good part if not the whole chapter 1 was meant for Tolino. I could read it well on the tablet, but had some difficulty on the PC

Last edited:
There's been a strange surge of Jaeggy in my life lately, so her nomination here matches that trend. Not that I'm complaining: she's long been a dark horse Nobel candidate for me, so I'm happy to see her getting attention.

Earlier in the year, I was working through Sweet Days of Discipline to try and recapture some of my rapidly disappearing college Italian and I was really struck by how powerful her prose is in its starkness. The English translation – which I read years and years ago – does a good job of capturing this, but it is even more evident in the original. It's the work of hers that has stuck with me the most.

I also just recently got the new translation of The Water Statues as part of a bundle from New Directions. I picked that up as my reading for her the other day (since I've read multiple books by all of this year's nominees, I'm trying to read at least one new-to-me book by each in the upcoming weeks). It is an odd and somewhat ... wispy work. Despite its shortness, I think it could definitely use a reread. It struck me as resolutely ungraspable, especially with only one read-through. I would be curious if anyone else here has read that work yet and what their impressions were.

Also, something that really stood out to me this time around is her relationship to the Austrian literary tradition. The Water Statues is dedicated to Ingeborg Bachmann (whom she knew) and her influence on it is pretty noticeable. Likewise, Sweet Days of Discipline has some clear connections to Musil's Törless, in my opinion.

All in all, glad to see her as one of the three nominees. I'm looking forward to getting to These Possible Lives in the near future as well.

Morbid Swither

There's been a strange surge of Jaeggy in my life lately, so her nomination here matches that trend. Not that I'm complaining: she's long been a dark horse Nobel candidate for me, so I'm happy to see her getting attention.

Earlier in the year, I was working through Sweet Days of Discipline to try and recapture some of my rapidly disappearing college Italian and I was really struck by how powerful her prose is in its starkness. The English translation – which I read years and years ago – does a good job of capturing this, but it is even more evident in the original. It's the work of hers that has stuck with me the most.

I also just recently got the new translation of The Water Statues as part of a bundle from New Directions. I picked that up as my reading for her the other day (since I've read multiple books by all of this year's nominees, I'm trying to read at least one new-to-me book by each in the upcoming weeks). It is an odd and somewhat ... wispy work. Despite its shortness, I think it could definitely use a reread. It struck me as resolutely ungraspable, especially with only one read-through. I would be curious if anyone else here has read that work yet and what their impressions were.

Also, something that really stood out to me this time around is her relationship to the Austrian literary tradition. The Water Statues is dedicated to Ingeborg Bachmann (whom she knew) and her influence on it is pretty noticeable. Likewise, Sweet Days of Discipline has some clear connections to Musil's Törless, in my opinion.

All in all, glad to see her as one of the three nominees. I'm looking forward to getting to These Possible Lives in the near future as well.
I couldn't agree more, actually. I am currently reading The Water Statues. Like you, as depicted in the new avatar, I have made a little "Wolfie Shelf," I have dabbled in all three authors and have been looking forward to newly translated Jaeggy. My primary emphasis will be on reading Murnane, however, since I've the least experience with his work. Thus far, with Jaeggy, I just can't get over the stylistic brilliance of I Am the Brother of XX.

Last edited:

DouglasM

Reader
For the Spanish-speaking fellow readers of this forum: are there any translations of Jaeggy's works into Spanish? Given that she writes in Italian, a language that is so close to Portuguese, I prefer not to read her in English. Since her books aren't available in Brazilian Portuguese (don't know about European or African Portuguese) I thought of reading her in Spanish.

Ludus

Reader
For the Spanish-speaking fellow readers of this forum: are there any translations of Jaeggy's works into Spanish? Given that she writes in Italian, a language that is so close to Portuguese, I prefer not to read her in English. Since her books aren't available in Brazilian Portuguese (don't know about European or African Portuguese) I thought of reading her in Spanish.

Yes. Pretty much all of her works are published by Tusquets, and the translations are pretty good.

Stevie B

Current Member
Getting ready to order a copy of S.S. Proleterka. Wish I spoke German as I like the cover art on that edition best.
1635008653514.png

Status
Not open for further replies.