WLF Prize 2022 - Gerald Murnane

Status
Not open for further replies.

DouglasM

Reader
I love Javier Marías and Fleur Jaeggy is an author I've been intending to read for a long time. However, I honestly had zero interest in Murnane, which is precisely the reason I chose to start with him first. I'm glad I did it, as I'm enjoying The Plains immensely so far.

Liam

Administrator
Landscape with Landscape's stories are interlinked, which is – I assume – why this is the case. The impact of the whole is what makes it my personal favorite in fact.
Landscape with Landscape is probably my favorite Gerald Murnane book as well and, incidentally, also happens to be the first one by him that I read, at some point in 2007/2008 (seems like ancient history now, LOL).

Too bad it's a little bit hard to find; they need to publish an affordable edition ASAP. My guess would be that none of the American publishers has acquired the rights, ?‍♂️

Landscape with Landscape is probably my favorite Gerald Murnane book as well and, incidentally, also happens to be the first one by him that I read, at some point in 2007/2008 (seems like ancient history now, LOL).

Too bad it's a little bit hard to find; they need to publish an affordable edition ASAP. My guess would be that none of the American publishers has acquired the rights, ?‍♂️

I was reluctant to recommend it because I also remembered it being hard to find (I stumbled on my copy in some out-of-the-way used bookstore), but when I looked it up, there is apparently a Kindle version now and the paperback version is back in print, so I can safely recommend it to others here! It really is a masterful work.

And how fortunate to have found him so early on and with that book! I wasn't even aware of his existence until Dalkey Archive brought out Barley Patch several years after that. I was hooked from then on. To be fair, I think that book is really wonderful as well and was also a great introduction.

Leseratte

In the foreword to the new edition of Landscape with Landscape, Murnane referenced the negative reviews the book received upon its initial release: 'I feel sorry for my fourth-eldest, which of all my book-children was the most brutally treated in its early years,'
That comment awakened my curiosity about the book.

Ludus

Reader
Started reading Stream System today. The book opens with When the Mice Failed to Arrive. What a disturbing and fascinating read. Everything falls into place beautifully at the end.

Liam

Administrator
"When the Mice Failed to Arrive" is probably my favorite short piece by Murnane.

I mean, I also love the stories from Landscape with Landscape, but they are better read cumulatively, as a novel-in-stories of sorts, even though the protagonist in each story is slightly different.

But yes, "When the Mice..." is such a fascinating, almost hypnotic read! And I absolutely loved the ending.

Liam

Administrator
^I should add that I found the ending thoroughly disturbing (spoiler alert: it involves cruelty to animals); that's not why I loved it; what I mean to say is what Ludus alluded to in his post: that the ending ties it all together beautifully and unexpectedly.

Ludus

Reader
Just finished reading Velvet Waters, as in the first 224 pages of Stream System. As of now, for me this book is extremely hard to top. Might need to read again I Am The Brother of XX or Tomorrow in the Battle Think of Me, but Murnane would undoubtedly be my favourite from the bunch if it was not for the somewhat unfavorable view of women Murnane sometimes shows in his stories. Right now Murnane is in my first place, with Jaeggy on a very close second place.

Leseratte

but Murnane would undoubtedly be my favourite from the bunch if it was not for the somewhat unfavorable view of women Murnane sometimes shows in his stories.
Fully agree about the women. Their aim in creation is to listen to the fantasies of their respective males!?

Liam

Administrator
It's hard to dissociate Murnane from his narrators because, like him, they happen to be writers living in Melbourne and teaching creative writing at a university, but I'd be careful in ascribing their shortcomings to the author himself. Remember, he's not writing memoirs, he's writing fiction. It's a very autobiographical fiction, but it's fiction.

I think you correctly identify the "function" of women in his stories, but I'd like to point out that this has less to do with any of Murnane's actual views on women (which we know nothing about as we haven't asked him directly) and everything to do with his narrators' endless solipsism and introspection.

If his narrators all happened to be gay men, the "function" of the objects of their affection wouldn't change at all, I don't think. They would also be required to serve as silent listeners. Murnane is just not very interested in exploring anything lying outside the confines of his own mind, and while that can be infuriating, I find it fascinating!

Anyways, I'm glad you are liking his books, guys! :)

Leseratte

Murnane is just not very interested in exploring anything lying outside the confines of his own mind, and while that can be infuriating, I find it fascinating!

He is certainly a very original author. I´m still finding my way to liking him, after wanting to throttle the narrator of the third narrative.
I absolutely agree with you about the difference between the narrator´s view on women and the author´s view on women, specially as the latter probably would have to tackle some real women of his life? (There is mention of a wife that died in 2009).
"If his narrators all happened to be gay men, the "function" of the objects of their affection wouldn't change at all, I don't think. They would also be required to serve as silent listeners. " I can´t tell you that. I don´t think the listening in itself is negative, quite the contrary. What bothers me is a certain asymmetry in the relationship between man and woman, inasmuch as the woman has a determined role in the man´s life or better, the man so supposes it( Murnanes characters, it seems, don´t always keep to the role the narrator has assigned them which shows that the author also likes to play with his own narrator. If there is an asymmetry in a gay relationship it is probably for other reasons than the sex of the partners(age, economic situation, etc.).

Last edited:

Ludus

Reader
Just finished reading The White Cattle of Uppington by him, the story that connects Velvet Waters and Emerald Blue in the anthology Stream System. This is some good shit ?

I stand with Leseratte here, about the uncomfortable masculinity portrayed in pretty much every Murnane narrator. I find it is one of his favourite topics, but I, as someone who grew up in a very catholic household, can relate to the character's frustration. I think he masterfully describes the feeling of sexual repression and shame amongst many catholic men. In doing so, he also shows the tangible misogyny aggravated by this tensions.

Here is a small summary of the story I just finished in a very cool blog I just found:

I agree with the author in his idea of Murnane's fiction being addictive. For some reason I just can't put the book down. I'm about to start Emerald Blue, and it seems to have longer pieces of fiction than Velvet Waters, so let's see how it goes.

Last edited:

Ludus

Reader
I'm halfway through "Emerald Blue". More like slogging through it and halfway done. The story is just too long to handle and not really interesting enough.

Leseratte

Just finished Landscape with Landscape. There seem to be recurrent patterns like a similar kind of narrator, who is or wants to be a writer, drinks a lot, is obsessed about a landscape and in a smaler degree about a woman. But this summing up hardly does him justice...

Status
Not open for further replies.