WLF Prize 2023 - António Lobo Antunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leseratte

In addition to Os cus de Judas (The end of nowhere)I intend to read As naus ( The return of the caravels) I guess there is common historical ground there. Fore, if Pedro Alvares Cabral hadn´t discovered Brasil our history would have been different.
The other ALA book I intend to read is O Manual dos Inquisidores

Leseratte

It's really very impressive book. And its final scene (waiting for lost king-redemptor on the border between earth and see) is masterpiece. But this title - The Return of the Caravels" - is title of translations, not Portugal original?
I suppose the last scene of As Naus you are referring to, relates to the myth of Sebastianism. Just adding this article of Wikipedia for the readers of The Return of the Caravels, who are not familiar with this myth:

Bartleby

It's really very impressive book. And its final scene (waiting for lost king-redemptor on the border between earth and see) is masterpiece. But this title - The Return of the Caravels" - is title of translations, not Portugal original?
I remember reading somewhere that ALA actually wanted the book title to have been O Regresso das Caravelas (The Return of the Caravels) in Portuguese, but back then another book had just been registered with the same title, so he chose As Naus, which just means The Ships.

alik-vit

Reader
I remember reading somewhere that ALA actually wanted the book title to have been O Regresso das Caravelas (The Return of the Caravels) in Portuguese, but back then another book had just been registered with the same title, so he chose As Naus, which just means The Ships.
Thanks! I was curious about this difference between original title and titles of translations. The return of the caravels is very deep symbol of disintegration of colonial system. Now I use it in my classes on history of world culture.

lucasdiniz

Reader
I have been reading Os cus de Judas for a little while now (not even halfway through it yet) and I feel like I'm getting used to it and even enjoying it. Lobo Antunes has a very interesting and unique use of language but I would definitely put this book down if it wasn't a requirement to vote.
I wanted to tackle "the hardest writer" first before going into the other two which seem to be easier to read.

Leseratte

I think he demands a lot of concentration. I'm reading As naus (The Return of the Caravelles). The novel is only about 200 pages long, but my reading rythm is very slow, the caravelles get stuck all the time somewhere between Luanda and Lisbon, there is so much knit together.

Leseratte

??António Lobo Antunes-The Return of the Caravels (As Naus). (Spoilers) The book is about 200 p. long, but it´s not an easy read. After 4 or 5 months being mostly stuck with the caravels, I celebrate my safe arrival. And it´s then that I become sure that I have read an important book, one whose atmosphere won´t easily leave me. And I have been so long stuck with the squalid "crew" of the novel, that I have even developed a kind of affection for it.

The narrative is Lobo Antunes answer to The Lusiads by Camões. Inspired by no one less than Homer, The Lusiads is the lofty poem, that sings the discoveries and the nautical feats of the Portuguese at the beginning of the Modern Era. The theme of the Portuguese Sea Conquests has been taken up frequently in the Portuguese Literature. Full of nostalgia it reminds of Portugal´s past grandeur. Even Fernando Pessoa takes up the heroic tone as he states that all the sacrifices of the Portuguese to the sea were worth it: "everything is worth sacrifices, as long as the soul isn´t narrow"("valeu a pena, tudo vale a pena, se a alma não é pequena").

Now, Lobo Antunes takes the opposite direction. He describes as @alik-vit said above the disintegration of the colonial project. His caravels depart from the colonies bringing home men that are old, ill and poor. And homeless. Their feeble voices eventually stick out of a narrative mostly in third person, preferably in the middle of a sentence soon to subside again. They lose or trade their few belongings ( including the wife), their only aim is to get back to Portugal.
The several narratives blend (there often is not knowing whose story is told) into the bigger narrative of their defeat.With all it´s gruesome details, the look of the third person narrator is not devoid of compassion for these men.

Was it worth it? It doesn´t matter Antunes seems to say, as long as you are still able to exchange one impossible dream for another.

Reading the book was certainly worth it. But I think the ideal is reading it twice, when everything will fall better into line.

Last edited:

Leseratte

?? António Lobo Antunes-The Inquisitors' Manual.(1996) ( Spoilers) The novel offers a look on Portugal during and after the Salazar dictatorship. The form of the novel reminds me a bit of "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins. It consist of a series of testimonies of figures related to the protagonist. But while the Victorian novel statements follow a linearity, each narrator taking up the story where his/her predecessor left of to elucidate the central mystery of the novel, Lobo Antune's narrative seems to jump seemingly without order from present to past and back again, leaving to the reader the task of mounting the puzzle.

From the three Antunes' novels I read, The Inquisitors' Manual is the easiest and most pleasurable to read. The novel confronts a dark time, maybe the darkest time of Portuguese history with a dark sort of humor. The decadent lives of ALA might figure as ironic successors to the illustrious ones of Eça de Queirós. And it allows its character a own voice. History is examined from the inside and so from within the limitations of consciousness of each figure. While telling the story of their own decadence they ultimately also disclose their frail humanity.

If the novel is apologetic or not could be food of discussion. Anyway, with its clearly defined main narrators I recommend it to readers, who are looking for a first experience of ALA or have had difficulty with other of his narratives.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

?? António Lobo Antunes-The Inquisitors' Manual.(1996) ( Spoilers) The novel offers a look on Portugal during and after the Salazar dictatorship. The form of the novel reminds me a bit of "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins. It consist of a series of testimonies of figures related to the protagonist. But while the Victorian novel statements follow a linearity, each narrator taking up the story where his/her predecessor left of to elucidate the central mystery of the novel, Lobo Antune's narrative seems to jump seemingly without order from present to past and back again, leaving to the reader the task of mounting the puzzle.

From the three Antunes' novels I read, The Inquisitors' Manual is the easiest and most pleasurable to read. The novel confronts a dark time, maybe the darkest time of Portuguese history with a dark sort of humor. The decadent lives of ALA might figure as ironic successors to the illustrious ones of Eça de Queirós. And it allows its character a own voice. History is examined from the inside and so from within the limitations of consciousness of each figure. While telling the story of their own decadence they ultimately also disclose their frail humanity.

If the novel is apologetic or not could be food of discussion. Anyway, with its clearly defined main narrators I recommend it to readers, who are looking for a first experience of ALA or have had difficulty with other of his narratives.

I really think that South of Nowhere is the easiest in my opinion. The Inquistor's Manual is very difficult to follow, but I think it's worth it. I still have Elephant's Memory left for me to read from him.

alik-vit

Reader
It's interesting. It seems, I hadn't any problems with "South of Nowhere" with one exception: in its first sentence ALA writes about "erect black professor" on the rink. I'm still curios, why this guy is called "professor"?

Bartleby

It's interesting. It seems, I hadn't any problems with "South of Nowhere" with one exception: in its first sentence ALA writes about "erect black professor" on the rink. I'm still curios, why this guy is called "professor"?

ALA has this thing for descriptions as a way of making his novels rich with the plurality of memories, so in most cases things will just appear in accumulation, not mattering much for the plot, but for us to go along with the characters' experiences, following their consciousnesses and thought processes. So, long story short, the professor in question matters only for the sake of inhabiting the atmosphere and sense of place created by the narrator.

Leseratte

I agree with @Bartleby about the atmosphere, but it seems also that @alik-vit spotted a translation mistake. I found only the first paragraph, where the girls have a black skating teacher. The Portuguese word "professor" can be translated as teacher, instructor or professor depending on the context.

Last edited:

alik-vit

Reader
I agree with @Bartleby about the atmosphere, but it seems also that @alik-vit spotted a translation mistake. I found only the first paragraph, where the girls have a black skating teacher. The Portuguese word "professor" can be translated as teacher or as professor depending on the context.
Thank you! It explains a lot! I check out another translation and, yes, there is "black instructor".

errequatro

Reader
This is just shite translation. He means an ice skating instructor.
Sorry to disappoint, but no nuance here... Just a straightforward description :p

errequatro

Reader

No, it is not apologetic. It is a searing scalpelazation of the ruling class. The pervasive decay of the powerful in Portugal. Their vices and, yes, their humanity.

Ben Jackson

Antonio Lobo Antunes is a literary vivisector whose main interest is exploring the visible horrors and brutal past of his country in an inimitable voice; and like an exorcist, vigorously battles to exorcise evil and provide salvation to body politic. Antunes expresses his disgust at Portugal's affluence and spendthrift hedonism; his characters possesses traits of villainny and vice, and sees himself as conscience of his country. Antunes can be grouped in the league of other national conscience writers: Kadare, Grass, Solzhenistyn, Boll, writers who, with broad outlook, surveys in their writing the horrors and tragedy of modern European civilisation, particularly in the 20th Century. But one must observe the differences in their notable artistic approaches. While Grass and Kadare relies on magic-realist technique and fables and legends respectively, and Boll and Solzhenistyn are more or less disciples of realism, Antunes works employs, in an intense language combined with exhilarating psychological portraitures, shifting, over-lapping monologues, calling attention to ancestors like Faulkner, Joyce and Celine. Antunes can also be grouped with Norman Manea, without the latter's staunch support for Noveau Roman in his early works; and with Antunes' geographical settings in both Africa and in his native Portugal, Antunes can also be classified with other world chroniclers: Greene, Naipaul, Kapusincski, writers who describe in their writings the decline of Empires and effects of colonialism, the suitable heirs of Conrad.

Among the works of Antunes, special attention must be given to South of Nowhere (1979), a novel with expressionistic overtones marked with dream-like war recollections, serpentine prose and depicts the absurdities of war through the memories of the doctor who serves as the narrator narrating his experience to a woman who he's affair with, Fado Alexandrino (1983), a rambling novel with phantasmagoric vision flooded with Biblical and astounding richness of diction and a polyphonic novel about failed hopes of Portugal's recent history, Return of the Caravels (1988), a masterpiece of complex anachronism where Antunes references the national work The Lusiads to explore a country living in the past, The Inquisitor's Manual (1996), a burlesque of misery and exploration of decadence of an entire society devoid of moral and spirituality brought to Portugal by four decades of totalitarianism and inquiry into difficult coexistence, What Can I Do When Everything's On Fire (2001), a novel of scorching intensity and kaleidoscopic beauty filled with addicts of drag queens, idiots monologues, literary symbolism, colloquial voices of damned recalling Ulysses dizzying farrago of urban images and thin--razor between reality and madness, Until Stones Becomes Lighter than Water (2017), a novel where characters are trying to make sense of violence and war and dislocations of history. These novels is a testament to Antunes' high-falutin and pessimistic but incomparable craftmanship where pessimistic outlook, collides with polyphonism to present a society living in shadows of itself as a results of its missteps and, simultaneously, in desperate search for healing and salvation.

Antunes vigorous style transforms his lofty imagination in vivisecting barbarity and horrors of history on contemporary society through linguistic inventiveness into sublime art. His vision is that of tremendous verisimilitude which is as a result of "cutting the garments of his masters like Joyce and Faulkner and Celine and stitching the materials for his own body," that his incomparable voice arose above the heavens.

Last edited:

alik-vit

Reader
Antonio Lobo Antunes, "The Inquisitors' Manual".

Five voices. Five reports about former omnipotent Minister from the Salazar's government. There are reports of his son, his illegitimate daughter, last lover, faithful housekeeper and Minister himself. Each report is interrupted by short comments of minor characters (his ex daughter-in-law, his ex wife, doorman, veterinarian, etc). Each report and each commentary consists of one (or two) sentence(s). But there are paragraphs and indentions, that is why all this complicated structure is much more readable than anything from Saramago. It's important feature of this book, to follow its narrative is not too difficult task. You can say, it's easy read. The voices contradict each other, but not in "Rashomon" style. Basicaly, the contradictions are connected to minor details. The general line is decay of corrupted world under dictatorship, but dictatorship itself is not main topic. The pictures of revolution are not very positive too. It's more about moral corruption and decay as a ontological basis of humankind, but, as I wrote earlier, always and in all his characters Lobo Antunes finds some reasons for compassion and it makes this bleak story a little bit more bearable and maybe even touching. Of course, it's not flawless book. The main problem (maybe, for all his oeuvre) is some inclination to the inertia of language. He develops some his images just for developing, there are some elements of mechanical movement there. But in general, I think, it's really very impressive achievement, and in its content, and in its form. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.