WLF Prize 2023 - Jon Fosse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartleby

This is a space for sharing thoughts on Jon Fosse's works read for our WLF Prize in Literature project.

Feel free to share any links related to him, as well as ideas on where to start reading the author :)

Ben Jackson

I'm conversant with Fosse, so here are his key works based on critical reviews I've read:
Septology, Trilogia, Aliss on Fire, Melancholy, Morning and Evening, Scenes of Childhood. I have read both Aliss and Morning and Evening, but haven't read the rest yet.

redhead

Blahblahblah
I've read literally everything by him available in English aside from maybe a few uncollected pieces, and for anyone curious on where to start I would recommend on the prose side:

-Septology
-Trilogy
-Morning and Evening
-Melancholy (plus II)

As for his plays, I think for the most part the collections available in English are pretty uniform in quality, at least on the page. If I had to recommend any, though, it would be Plays 1 and Plays 2. Plays 1 includes his most famous one, Someone is Going to Come (though tbh I've never really warmed to it), as well as The Name and The Child, which I think are great and pretty accessible--they have more in common with your typical plays structurally than some of his later stuff. Plays 2, though, is the best collection. A Summer's Day, which is retold loosely in prose in Aliss at the Fire (Fosse does that a decent amount, reusing locales, themes, and plots, though it's never one to one and the retellings always add something), is probably my favorite of his plays.

I also wouldn't recommend Boathouse or Scenes from a Childhood to those not already fans. Boathouse is Fosse at his most repetitive, and without saying too much, I found a reveal at the end disappointing and the conclusion incredibly clunky. Scenes from a Childhood is a hodgepodge collection of shorter works which were originally published separately in Norwegian, and it shows.

Bartleby

I've only read his Plays 6 (there's only the last one from the collection I still need to get to);

I love how melacholy they are, reflecting the self in solitude, trying to connect, but somehow always failing, failing to see the other there; the repetitive style works in this favour. There's a philosophical, existential, bent to them as well. An example:

20221011_182013.jpg

I think I'll read first Morning and Evening from his prose.

Leseratte

I've read literally everything by him available in English aside from maybe a few uncollected pieces, and for anyone curious on where to start I would recommend on the prose side:

-Septology
-Trilogy
-Morning and Evening
-Melancholy (plus II)

As for his plays, I think for the most part the collections available in English are pretty uniform in quality, at least on the page. If I had to recommend any, though, it would be Plays 1 and Plays 2. Plays 1 includes his most famous one, Someone is Going to Come (though tbh I've never really warmed to it), as well as The Name and The Child, which I think are great and pretty accessible--they have more in common with your typical plays structurally than some of his later stuff. Plays 2, though, is the best collection. A Summer's Day, which is retold loosely in prose in Aliss at the Fire (Fosse does that a decent amount, reusing locales, themes, and plots, though it's never one to one and the retellings always add something), is probably my favorite of his plays.

I also wouldn't recommend Boathouse or Scenes from a Childhood to those not already fans. Boathouse is Fosse at his most repetitive, and without saying too much, I found a reveal at the end disappointing and the conclusion incredibly clunky. Scenes from a Childhood is a hodgepodge collection of shorter works which were originally published separately in Norwegian, and it shows.
Thanks, red. That is really helpful!

Abhi

Managed to get a copy of  Trilogy. Will start from there. Even the combined trilogy is quite short. I started Scenes from a Childhood a few months ago but found it really uninteresting and abandoned it.

alik-vit

Reader
Great contender! I have read "Melancholy", "Melancholy II", "Trilogy", "Morning and Evening" and volume of his plays (in Rus., 8 long and 4 short plays). I have copies of "Septology", "Aliss at the fire" and "Scenes from a childhood" too. "Septology" is great reading challenge for next year!

Ben Jackson

I've only read his Plays 6 (there's only the last one from the collection I still need to get to);

I love how melacholy they are, reflecting the self in solitude, trying to connect, but somehow always failing, failing to see the other there; the repetitive style works in this favour. There's a philosophical, existential, bent to them as well. An example:

View attachment 1924

I think I'll read first Morning and Evening from his prose.
Based on the excerpt you posted, there's a connection between Fosse's application of a short pause and Harold Pinter's application of it. It's as if Fosse's adopted the famous Pinteresque pause.

hayden

I don't know if this is Fosse sacrilege, but I've read III-VII of the septology without reading I-II ?

So... I'll get on that.

I've also never read Morning And Evening, which I'm already getting the gist is essential.

By Fosse I've read—
Trilogy (Andvake / Olavs Draumar / Kveldsvævd)
Septology II-V & VI-VII
Aliss At The Fire
Scenes From A Childhood

& his drama collection 'Six Plays'

I'll plan to read (at least 2 of these, but hopefully more)—
Septology I-II
Morning And Evening
Melancholy
Melancholy II

Leseratte

Thank you for this, Leseratte!!

Yes - I agree that The Other Name was largely about the experience of prayer- I mean, the constant effort to focus and make space in the mind in order to try and come closer to God. I love that and I can relate, as I'm sure many can.

At first I very much enjoyed the book but eventually I started to feel let down by the repetition. There was a flatness to it for me, it felt like I was stuck in the outskirts of my own mind. Maybe it is hard to read and write prose about prayer - or maybe, probably, I'm just fussy. I'm glad that Fosse is a nominee and that I'll have a reason to read more of his work.
Maybe you´ll enjoy Trilogy more. There seems to be more "story" and it is much shorter, albeit dense.

Last edited:

redhead

Blahblahblah
I don't know if this is Fosse sacrilege, but I've read III-VII of the septology without reading I-II ?

So... I'll get on that.

Sorry for the late reply, but how was that?? Septology read to me like one very long novel, not a series you can get through out of order. Since it’s repetitive and not exactly action packed, I imagine it’s easier than, say, starting Lord of the Rings with the Two Towers, but were you still able to follow along?

hayden

Sorry for the late reply, but how was that?? Septology read to me like one very long novel, not a series you can get through out of order. Since it’s repetitive and not exactly action packed, I imagine it’s easier than, say, starting Lord of the Rings with the Two Towers, but were you still able to follow along?

Yes, this is the sacrilege part. ?
Should have kept my mouth shut.
(I do recognize it wasn't the best way to read it).
It wasn't necessarily my call — just happened to have access to the second book first. Can't say I was lost though, I actually followed it fairly well. Jumped right in. It plays out in vignettes of his memories, and it's primarily reflective. (Plus, like you said, it's very plot-light). I'm assuming the bulk of the story is in the first edition... I understood the 'base' of the character before jumping in, which helped, and I was prepared for the story to have some holes, but I felt quite (erm... ?) 'hypnotized' by the character study. Like a Joyce-esque memory/dream ramble.

Reading VI-VII next was on me though :whistle: (late last year...)

I'm hoping to get around to the first novel soon. Last month a (gorgeous looking) version of the whole work was published—

fosse.jpg

With any luck it'll land on my bookshelf soon and I'll go through it from the start (properly).
(Promise)

Last edited:

redhead

Blahblahblah
Yes, this is the sacrilege part. ?
Should have kept my mouth shut.

Lol who am I to judge something like that? I was more just curious (Jk you’re going to Jon Fosse-hell.)

It’s interesting to hear you were still more or less able to follow along though. I wonder what you’ll make of the first volume now. I once came in halfway through a film and, in trying to follow, ended up with a vague idea of what must have come before. And then when I saw the whole thing, I was incredibly disappointed with the first half, partially because what I had imagined had given me high expectations which weren’t met.

Ben Jackson

Reflections on Jon Fosse, the last candidate I will write on. (You can check the other candidates in their respective threads.)

Fosse main interest isn't to look at social structures of society, but to look at, with musical flows and clear-sightnedness, the essence of reality and being: religion, freedom of will, time and immortality, and the purpose of art. Some of his characters escape society, seeks spiritual and artistic fulfilment, questions mortality, in dream-like, hazy prose. The questions of mortality raises his profile to the level of usual classics: Tolstoy, Dostoevesky and exploration of fragile consciousness calls to mind Beckett. His dramas, collected in six volumes and for which he first got international recognition, features generic characters: the Mother, Father, Child, and is characterized by the quality, musical flows that would be perfected in his prose masterpieces, and many of them involving themes of jealousy, which Fosse claims in interviews concerning his dramas "is the bases of most dramatic works." The constant thematic repetitiveness of his works, tend to echoes the reincarnations of individuals or oceanic tumbling waves.

In the first acclaimed novel Melancholia, published in two parts, we first see Fosse's stylistic spark finally reaching maturity. Based on Norweigan 19th century painter Lars Hertervig, Fosse describes Lars' fragile consciousness and repetitive ramblings. In the first, set in a single day in Dusserdolf and second section, set three years later on Christmas Eve in a mental institution. The final part, which takes place in the late 1980s, involves the character Vidme, who maybe a distant relative of the painter and who thinks of writing a novel based on Lars' paintings. This final part also involves the role of divine while Vidme's obsession, like Lars' obsession with masturabtion, obsessed with female breast, this time focusing on a female pastor whom he has conversations with about divine and religious faith.

Morning and Evening and Trilogy, his next two masterpieces, sustained the vision of Fosse's intense and rhythmic prose. The first novel looks at one day in the life of Johannes, the day of his birth on one hand, and the day of his death on the other. We see Johannes methodically moving from chore to chore, and Fosse bluring the line between reality and memory. And the focus of the novel, through the dazzling and thoughtful philosophical regulations of Johannes and Olav's as his wife his planning to give birth, is nature of God and existence. For Fosse, day appears to be attempt to answer both Olav and Johannes questions. The novel's mundane thought processes and dialogue, and the insight Fosse provides here is to explore what comes before and after and how man's time on earth comes to a close. For Fosse, everything's the same, yet totally different. The other masterpiece, Trilogy, which comprises of Olav's Dreams, Weariness and Wakefulness, traces marriage of Asle and Alide, the birth of their daughter, with the final volume Weariness focusing on events that happened before death of Ales. This novel possess biblical echoes, with good and evil, punishment and justice, love and sacrifice. The looping back in repetitiveness means all the essential points and occurrences are represented yet again with effectiveness and poetic prose and epic grandeur.

Fosse's greatness and acquisition of ticket into gallery of literary fame reached a new level with publication of seven volume-masterwork Septology. The oceanic tumbling waves, which had begun decades before in Melancholia, finally finds itself at everlasting quietude in this work of extraordinary first-rank, and which will soon be destined as one of the most enduring achievements of this century. Fosse's recursive reckoning with braided realities of religion, art, identity, family life and existence itself, reaches unparalleled heights with heightened interest in profound felt religious experience triggered by his own conversion to Catholicism. Fosse, in a single sentence throughout, charts the life of Asle, a painter living outsidee a Norweigan coastal village. Action transpires over course of few memory-- and prayer-filled-- days around Christmas while working on his irrevocable painting. Asle's struggle with Kant's metaphysical approach: freedom of will and immortality, and questioning the purpose of art from the view of his creator; like Plato with his cave, as something which can be close to it and not totally seen (reflections of darkness of art and life). This novel goes in accordance with Grahame Greene's vision of "spiritual dimension which gives the novel the needed human character, " is successfully adhered, with Asle's depiction drawing attention to Krapp and Reverend from Robinson's Gilead. Asle's reflections on painting remaining unfinished till an arrival of beam of light which suggest the illuminating theory of Carravaggio not only closes the novel, through Asle's prayers, but successfully guides the intellectual ship of Fosse, after the sea-waves, with musical flows and clear-sightendness illuminating essence of reality and being, safely into shores.

Leseratte

Reflections on Jon Fosse, the last candidate I will write on. (You can check the other candidates in their respective threads.)

Fosse main interest isn't to look at social structures of society, but to look at, with musical flows and clear-sightnedness, the essence of reality and being: religion, freedom of will, time and immortality, and the purpose of art. Some of his characters escape society, seeks spiritual and artistic fulfilment, questions mortality, in dream-like, hazy prose. The questions of mortality raises his profile to the level of usual classics: Tolstoy, Dostoevesky and exploration of fragile consciousness calls to mind Beckett. His dramas, collected in six volumes and for which he first got international recognition, features generic characters: the Mother, Father, Child, and is characterized by the quality, musical flows that would be perfected in his prose masterpieces, and many of them involving themes of jealousy, which Fosse claims in interviews concerning his dramas "is the bases of most dramatic works." The constant thematic repetitiveness of his works, tend to echoes the reincarnations of individuals or oceanic tumbling waves.

In the first acclaimed novel Melancholia, published in two parts, we first see Fosse's stylistic spark finally reaching maturity. Based on Norweigan 19th century painter Lars Hertervig, Fosse describes Lars' fragile consciousness and repetitive ramblings. In the first, set in a single day in Dusserdolf and second section, set three years later on Christmas Eve in a mental institution. The final part, which takes place in the late 1980s, involves the character Vidme, who maybe a distant relative of the painter and who thinks of writing a novel based on Lars' paintings. This final part also involves the role of divine while Vidme's obsession, like Lars' obsession with masturabtion, obsessed with female breast, this time focusing on a female pastor whom he has conversations with about divine and religious faith.

Morning and Evening and Trilogy, his next two masterpieces, sustained the vision of Fosse's intense and rhythmic prose. The first novel looks at one day in the life of Johannes, the day of his birth on one hand, and the day of his death on the other. We see Johannes methodically moving from chore to chore, and Fosse bluring the line between reality and memory. And the focus of the novel, through the dazzling and thoughtful philosophical regulations of Johannes and Olav's as his wife his planning to give birth, is nature of God and existence. For Fosse, day appears to be attempt to answer both Olav and Johannes questions. The novel's mundane thought processes and dialogue, and the insight Fosse provides here is to explore what comes before and after and how man's time on earth comes to a close. For Fosse, everything's the same, yet totally different. The other masterpiece, Trilogy, which comprises of Olav's Dreams, Weariness and Wakefulness, traces marriage of Asle and Alide, the birth of their daughter, with the final volume Weariness focusing on events that happened before death of Ales. This novel possess biblical echoes, with good and evil, punishment and justice, love and sacrifice. The looping back in repetitiveness means all the essential points and occurrences are represented yet again with effectiveness and poetic prose and epic grandeur.

Fosse's greatness and acquisition of ticket into gallery of literary fame reached a new level with publication of seven volume-masterwork Septology. The oceanic tumbling waves, which had begun decades before in Melancholia, finally finds itself at everlasting quietude in this work of extraordinary first-rank, and which will soon be destined as one of the most enduring achievements of this century. Fosse's recursive reckoning with braided realities of religion, art, identity, family life and existence itself, reaches unparalleled heights with heightened interest in profound felt religious experience triggered by his own conversion to Catholicism. Fosse, in a single sentence throughout, charts the life of Asle, a painter living outsidee a Norweigan coastal village. Action transpires over course of few memory-- and prayer-filled-- days around Christmas while working on his irrevocable painting. Asle's struggle with Kant's metaphysical approach: freedom of will and immortality, and questioning the purpose of art from the view of his creator; like Plato with his cave, as something which can be close to it and not totally seen (reflections of darkness of art and life). This novel goes in accordance with Grahame Greene's vision of "spiritual dimension which gives the novel the needed human character, " is successfully adhered, with Asle's depiction drawing attention to Krapp and Reverend from Robinson's Gilead. Asle's reflections on painting remaining unfinished till an arrival of beam of light which suggest the illuminating theory of Carravaggio not only closes the novel, through Asle's prayers, but successfully guides the intellectual ship of Fosse, after the sea-waves, with musical flows and clear-sightendness illuminating essence of reality and being, safely into shores.
I think you got to the essence of Fosse, Ben. Very empathic post!

Status
Not open for further replies.