Yokomitsu Riichi

Daniel del Real

Yokimitus Riichi (please note I'm using the Japanese naming, last name first) was a writer active in the early Showa era. Alongside Kawabata, he was the creator of the Shinkankakuha or The New Sensations Schools, a literary movement who tried to hybridize the influence of westernt influences along with the contemplation of the old Japan & its beauty, all under the eye of the Zen School. I'm sure many people here have read Kawabata and you understand how he tried to recreate this concept in his literature.

In the case of Yokimitsu, or at least in this collection of short stories written in the 1920's, his style is not completely defined. you can see this new sensations school portrayed in some of his short stories (A Fly is probably the better example) while some other are still heavily influenced by the watakushi shōsetsu or the "I novel", a very strong movement in Japan those days based in realism. A strong case for this is the story that gives name to the book, Spring Comes Riding in a Carriage, a recount of a woman who is in bed with a long time illness and his husband taking care of her, a situation Yokimitsu experienced in his own flesh.
He even has touches of the proletarian literature that started to grow in the 1920s in Japan, in his tale Machine, narrating the struggles among themselves of three workers in a chemicals factory.

Yokomitusu died in 1949, at the age of 49. Kawabta himself read his eulogy at this funeral.

1680553444185.png

Last edited: