WLF Prize in Literature 2021

Bartleby

guys, I've tried, for hours, but I completely lack the ability and knowledge of the right tools to make an official-looking image saying "The WLF Prize in Literature 2021" with the citation and a photo of Krasz ?

I would also put, at the bottom: "The WLF Academy" hehe

Leseratte

Seconded, the Wolfie it is!
She-wolf_suckles_Romulus_and_Remus.jpg
Fine! But what about Romulus and Remus.?

Leseratte

1633461079605.pngI tried to concoct a WLF Wolfie 2021 certificate for Lazlo K, but no go. The difficulty: how to bring image and text together with Word tools! ?

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Looking at rules for next year, I agree with those who said no nominating the same writer in consecutive years and only one Wolfie award per life for any writer.

I'd also like to propose that, in order to give a chance of winning the Wolfie to poets, playwrights and non-fiction prose writers, we alternate between them and fiction writers when picking the list of nominees for consecutive years.

Bartleby

Looking at rules for next year, I agree with those who said no nominating the same writer in consecutive years and only one Wolfie award per life for any writer.

I'd also like to propose that, in order to give a chance of winning the Wolfie to poets, playwrights and non-fiction prose writers, we alternate between them and fiction writers when picking the list of nominees for consecutive years.
I love the first idea, as many others before, but, tbh, not so much the second; as much as it would make my life easier having a year of only poets, I believe all genres competing against each other to be more fun :)

Stevie B

Current Member
I love the first idea, as many others before, but, tbh, not so much the second; as much as it would make my life easier having a year of only poets, I believe all genres competing against each other to be more fun :)
I agree. Perhaps Cleanthess' concern can be addressed in the nominating process where at least one of our personal nominees can't be a fiction writer, primarily. That would help diversify the pool and bring more poets, essayists, etc into the mix.

hayden

I’m thinking we should maybe look into opening the thread for next year this weekend? And decide on the writers in the next few weeks?

Sounds good. I'll try to go figure out who I'll nominate.

And sorry Cleanthess, I'm not super hot on that second proposed rule either (if I'm understanding it properly).

Bartleby

I'm glad to know you guys enjoyed this little project of ours - after all, along with the Nobel speculation thread, it seemed to have made the forum gain some more traction, if only slightly. I'll do my utmost best to participate more and shake up the discussions a bit ;)

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
No worries, it was just a thought to alternate between nominating novelists one year and everyone else next year. But the Wolfies is a young prize and we can revisit the idea next decade, inshAllah, after novelists win the Wolfie 10 straight times.

By this did we mean, no nominating the same authors as we read for this year? i.e. LK, CX, IK, NWT? I have no idea who I nominated last year, but also wouldn't want to be restricted from nominating someone again who didn't get through last time (provided they weren't one of the 4 already mentioned).

Stevie B

Current Member
By this did we mean, no nominating the same authors as we read for this year? i.e. LK, CX, IK, NWT? I have no idea who I nominated last year, but also wouldn't want to be restricted from nominating someone again who didn't get through last time (provided they weren't one of the 4 already mentioned).
- It makes sense to me that we can't nominate any of the four finalists from the previous year.
- I also like the idea that at least one of our individual nominations is not a novelist, primarily.
- And what about a stipulation that we can't nominate anyone whose last name rhymes with "bossy"?

Stevie B

Current Member
By the way, I can't recall from last year, but how many nominations were we each allowed initially - three?

Liam

Administrator
BTW, to respond to Cleanthess, nowhere did we make it a point to nominate only novelists this year. It sort of happened organically (based on those votes that proved to be most popular). But literally any writer could have been nominated: poet, novelist, biographer, historian, etc. I think the fact that we ended up with 4 novelists is interesting in itself, it just goes to demonstrate what most people consider "literature" in this day and age, ?

Bartleby

One of my nominations was Carson (the others being Ernaux and Can Xue). I think I'll only nominate poets this time round ?