WLF Prize in Literature 2021

BTW, to respond to Cleanthess, nowhere did we make it a point to nominate only novelists this year. It sort of happened organically (based on those votes that proved to be most popular). But literally any writer could have been nominated: poet, novelist, biographer, historian, etc. I think the fact that we ended up with 4 novelists is interesting in itself, it just goes to demonstrate what most people consider "literature" in this day and age, ?

I imagine we'll end up with something rather similar this year. I'm not sure the design of our process would ever result in many poets or obscurer novelist ending up on our list... By definition I think they'll be ones a number of us have already come across and read, which probably doesn't favour the less well known/read.

If we are so inclined we could perhaps try and tip the scales ever so slightly in favour of the more obscure by saying that one name of the 3 we nominate should be a person who we haven't personally read but are aware of with a good reputation (muddy, I know).

Leseratte

I think, we must be aware of the fact that this new SA group of members wants to surprise. I think this was also apparent in the other categories. There were some unusual winners this year.

Leemo

I imagine we'll end up with something rather similar this year. I'm not sure the design of our process would ever result in many poets or obscurer novelist ending up on our list... By definition I think they'll be ones a number of us have already come across and read, which probably doesn't favour the less well known/read.

If we are so inclined we could perhaps try and tip the scales ever so slightly in favour of the more obscure by saying that one name of the 3 we nominate should be a person who we haven't personally read but are aware of with a good reputation (muddy, I know).

I kind of like this idea, but my guess is those obscure people chosen still wouldn't get enough votes to make it to the shortlist.

A different possible option is we all choose 3 people like normal, then we choose a 4th more obscure person who we haven't personally read but are aware of with a good reputation, and that 4th person goes to a separate list. Then a person from that separate list is chosen at random. So we'd have 3 people on the shortlist from our normal votes, and a 4th person on the shortlist that was chosen at random from our list of obscure persons with good reputations. Though I can imagine this resulting in some strange results, and it would also be more burdensome on the organizers...

Looks like we have a new thread specifically dedicated to next year's exercise:

Leseratte

I kind of like this idea, but my guess is those obscure people chosen still wouldn't get enough votes to make it to the shortlist.

A different possible option is we all choose 3 people like normal, then we choose a 4th more obscure person who we haven't personally read but are aware of with a good reputation, and that 4th person goes to a separate list. Then a person from that separate list is chosen at random. So we'd have 3 people on the shortlist from our normal votes, and a 4th person on the shortlist that was chosen at random from our list of obscure persons with good reputations. Though I can imagine this resulting in some strange results, and it would also be more burdensome on the organizers...
It´s not so easy, really! The idea is sort to step in the shoes of the committee: which author would I elect if I wanted to surprise the world? But I think it would have to be all candidates(which is not easy) or just one per member. And the candidate must not necessarily be obscure, he must be a surprise. What if next year the SA wants to surprise as with a candidate, that has been on the betting lists all these years but wasn´t elected?

tiganeasca

Okay. I am NOT a graphic designer and feel free to hate what I've done. But I think we need to send something to Mr. Krasznahorkai. And since I don't know what languages he speaks, it makes sense to me to put Magyar/Hungarian on his diploma. (I'll put the English below) Feel free to suggest any amendments/comments/deletions/additions/modifications/changes that you wish. Also: need to decide whose signatures go on it. And since it's online, I don't think we need to list a city as the place it is issued.

1634572641509.png

The English:
The members of the international World Literature Forum, after extensive deliberation and discussion, have voted
L K
worthy of special recognition and appreciation for illuminating darker realms of human existence with a playful touch which draws on hard and harsh realities to bring us truly universal works.
[Special thanks to errequatro for the citation wording]

Leseratte

Okay. I am NOT a graphic designer and feel free to hate what I've done. But I think we need to send something to Mr. Krasznahorkai. And since I don't know what languages he speaks, it makes sense to me to put Magyar/Hungarian on his diploma. (I'll put the English below) Feel free to suggest any amendments/comments/deletions/additions/modifications/changes that you wish. Also: need to decide whose signatures go on it. And since it's online, I don't think we need to list a city as the place it is issued.

View attachment 997

The English:
The members of the international World Literature Forum, after extensive deliberation and discussion, have voted
L K
worthy of special recognition and appreciation for illuminating darker realms of human existence with a playful touch which draws on hard and harsh realities to bring us truly universal works.
[Special thanks to errequatro for the citation wording]
Congrats, @tiganeasca! I tried for hours with Word tools, but didn´t succeed with the diploma. The image playfully chosen was the one of lupa Capitolina, but I think this one is more fitting!

Liam

Administrator
^That diploma is absolutely gorgeous, I think!

I didn't realize you spoke Hungarian, Mr T, :)

tiganeasca

Hungarian? Oh sure. And Tibetan. And Zimbabwean and Paraguayanese and....

I'm just a humble guy, quietly reading in my chair....

Last edited:

hayden

wlf.jpg

While I'm not thrilled with the idea of actually sending it to the guy, I'm cool with the idea of a... symbolic diploma for the site? Tried to whip up something that encapsulated Krasznahorkai's writing, like the Nobel did. It's an altered Rothko (sorry Rothko) and I sketched a side-view wolf overtop. And, well, words on the right side.

nagisa

Spiky member
View attachment 999

While I'm not thrilled with the idea of actually sending it to the guy, I'm cool with the idea of a... symbolic diploma for the site? Tried to whip up something that encapsulated Krasznahorkai's writing, like the Nobel did. It's an altered Rothko (sorry Rothko) and I sketched a side-view wolf overtop. And, well, words on the right side.
No no: "you're welcome, Rothko". XD