Search results

1. JCamilo

Portuguese Literature

Mário de Sá is up there with Fernando Pessoa and Eça de Queiroz for the end of XIX century and early XX century writers. The died young kind of artist. I am more interessed on his poetry, since he is very close to Pessoa, but go ahead.
  2. JCamilo

Black writers around the globe

About Carolina, it happens that she is more well-educated than it first appears. Most of her "style" wasnt lack of formal education, it seems like she was blending her greatfather african idiom (which is mostly oral and if i recall well, from Angola) with the favelas orality, something not...
  3. JCamilo

Canceling Russian Culture

I am eargerly waiting the time they will protest against Gogol books. Editora 34, time to hand out your collection in patriot fury.
  4. JCamilo

Man, there is no such thing as woke movement. It is a label used to lump together a variety of people who more than often have nothing to comum. The ridiculous with the legitimate, so it is easier to dismiss the legitimate. It is a discurssive trap. Then, when someone points that a text or a...
  5. JCamilo

Best "Best-Seller and Low Literature" Books

Perhaps we should create a term (not because of Clark Ashton Smith), something like arched low-brow, which may be when the low-brow literature is emulating or have traits of High brow literature (for good or worst). Something like Umberto Eco being a Borges with Headache or Murakami dives in...
  6. JCamilo

Benny, just think about you said. You define woke culture as "dozens of finicky teenagers who live with in "mommies' hotels" and spend all day imposing ethics codes based on memes and slangs in social media." and then they act like nazists? I assure you, even if the woke culture is what you...
  7. JCamilo

The thing is that this non-sense about being anti-russian here in Brazil is not really something caused by the invasion. Right-wing (and neo nazi) groups supporting Bolsonaro have been linked with Ukraine, using them as inspiration and traveled to there (and they even had "camps" preparing them...
  8. JCamilo

The Nobel Prize in Literature

The same argument can be used to dismiss latin-american writers, you can have some grade school writer facing hamlet only because his name is José Carlos? The nature of a prize that selects 1 in several around the world is to exclude people, not include, but we can easy spot prejudice bias, not...
  9. JCamilo

Agatha Christie

Originality is a cliché, dimissing it is another. Anyways, her strength is not in the plot of her novels. It is in the characters. Look, how you mention both of her more famous detectives (Poirot and Marple). They have enduring quality, while her stories are often frozen in time and a social...
  10. JCamilo

In Brazil there is Taylor Cladwell, her book Dear abd Glorious Physician is a best seller, always in print. A writer that i knew from USA once visited here and was surprised to ser her books everywhere. Raymond Chandler is great. His dialogues are sometimes so out of place that we tend to...
  11. JCamilo

The thing is that even Faulkner was in the top 10 list of best-selling books (among others, after all a Nobel can pump up sales) and we have some guys like Dumas, Dickens or Stevenson who are top selling authors and are good enough (Stevenson beyond good enough). Dom Quixote is a best seller...
  12. JCamilo

‘Poetic’ novels

No, no. My greatfather is not a national name, João Camillo de Olivera Torres. Olavo uses him due to his conservative views reggarding religion and politics (albeit my greatfather was a huge defender of Social SecurIty as a form of state action to promove social equality in terms very similar to...
  13. JCamilo

‘Poetic’ novels

I am not sure if Severino would fit as an epic protagonist, but then, the class/social issue he represents, I think more than a national ideal, makes this a bit impossible. He is always undermined, a bit of reversal of epic (a cipe), but then it is moderm poetry, eschewing genres is part of the...
  14. JCamilo

‘Poetic’ novels

I never said it was a poetic novel. Several works mentioned in this thread fit more in the notion of narrative poems (which Morte e Vida, as a Dramatic Poem, an Auto is) and not the novel format. Epic poetry is not the same as drama in verses either and calling it epic is as suited as calling it...
  15. JCamilo

‘Poetic’ novels

I found it so bad, his poetry is stiff as Voltaire´s poetry, with the difference, the worst Voltaire has agility and witty. I prefer much more William Morris take on those stories. He has that victorian style which Tennison perfected (his narrative poems are close to what Liam is probally...
  16. JCamilo

‘Poetic’ novels

I think calling novels (or romances, any long narrative) writen in verse epic may be misleading, I mean, Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett is not that epic. Or Byron´s Don Juan. I would think prose poetry something more specific, like Lautreamont´s works (there is only two) or Finnegans Wake...
  17. JCamilo

Cervantes: The Trials of Persiles and Sigismunda

Those authors of Siglo de Oro are hyperprolific and versatile. One has to think Lope did nothing all day but write. I havent read Persiles (and if I was going to suggest something from Cervantes beyond the length of Quixote, it would be Novellas, El coloquio de los perros is one that has the...
  18. JCamilo

Fernanda Montenegro, new member of ABL

Which wisdow? This is her in 2016: P. O que você diria à presidenta Dilma Rousseff? R. Avalie bem, com calma, se vale a pena continuar no inferno que você está vivendo agora. She supported the coup. This is her wisdow protesting against the royalit laws. You know, the reason why...
  19. JCamilo

Fernanda Montenegro, new member of ABL

It is not an academy of arts. It is a neo-liberal racist and nocive institution. They do nothing for the brazilian literature and have Sarney, Fernando Henrique and obscure imbeciles like Nerval Pereira as members. Fernanda, as great actress she is, was a supporter of the coup that lead us to...
  20. JCamilo

Brazilian Literature

It is not a bad thing, of course, unless they do like Globo and reduce his work to only this. Amado was almost like counterculture when he started. The sensuality is part of the life of his characters, just like mysticism, popular traits, etc. It is part of the social geography he was painting...