Nobel Prize in Literature 2018

Good choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
The Nobel Prize in Literature 2018 has been awarded to Olga Tokarczuk "for a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life."

Last edited:

Bartleby

I’m actually currently reading her drive your plow, and quite enjoying it, despite it being said to be one of her least best books...

And a funny thing. I’ve lent my portuguese translated copy of flights to a couple of friends on sunday, telling them se was sure to win the nobel anytime soon. They don’t know much about world authors and had never heard of her but were eager to read the book after what i said about it. They now must think I’m some sort of sage LOL

Ludus

Reader
Since I read here I haven't shut up about her. I'm really really happy about this, because this will encourage publishing houses in Spanish to translate all of her books. Something similar should happen with Handke, but some of his books are already translated, so we'll have lots of new editions.

Stiffelio

Reader
There appears to be a unanimous consensus as to Miss Tokarczuk deserving the Nobel prize. Good for her and good for Poland! I have yet to read any of her books. Where would you recommend me to start? Are there any Spanish translations and are they good, direct translations or are they retranslations from English?

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
In the UK, a couple of her books - including a forthcoming translation - have been put out by a small press called Fitzcarraldo Editions, so should hopefully become a good day for them. The only other translations I see are one from Twisted Spoon Press in Prague and an out-of-print one from Northwestern University Press in UK.

Back in the day, when Waterstone's staff had the freedom and/or interest in this sort of stuff, my branch of choice had Twisted Spoon (and Dalkey Archive, among others) were all over the shelves. I think it may have been a reading with Q&A for that book - Primeval and Other Times - when I met her. Just a few local folk in the audience among a mostly Polish turnout.

Daniel del Real

There appears to be a unanimous consensus as to Miss Tokarczuk deserving the Nobel prize. Good for her and good for Poland! I have yet to read any of her books. Where would you recommend me to start? Are there any Spanish translations and are they good, direct translations or are they retranslations from English?
As I told Ludus in this same thread, Anagrama will be publishing Flights translation in November. Great timing!
"Sobre los huesos de los muertos" has also been published by Siruela.

Ludus

Reader
This poll above looks terrible. Everyone seems to like Tokarczuk. To be uncontroversial and likeable is an affront to the writer.
Sorry, man, but she is not uncontroversial in her country (not even in her novels). Just read "Sobre los huesos de los muertos" (there is a Spanish translation) to see that, she doesn't shy out of controversy just to get people to like her.