Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayden

I usually just lurk here for good recommendations (thank you), but I may as well share a short list of who I think has a good chance at the Nobel this year—
Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o (now or never)
Nawal El Saadawi
Tahar Ben Jelloun
Duong Thu Huong
F. Sionil José
Milan Kundera & Ivan Klíma joint
César Aira
Ibrāhīm al-Kōnī
Ismail Kadare
Hélène Cixous
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (I know she's young, but I genuinely think there's a chance she'll be in serious contention)
Alain Mabanckou (this would be a long shot)

Along with Jelloun, these Moroccans might have a slight chance:
Abdallah Zrika
Abdellatif Laâbi
Mohammed Mrabet

With a side note Krasznahorkai probably has a better chance come 2024, 2025, etc... likewise with Anne Carson and Jon Fosse.

And I think Kamau Brathwaite would have been a fantastic choice had he not passed away earlier this year.

If they're leaning towards an African writer, I understand why, but the article could just be a diversion. Being said, I can't see the award going to a Chinese writer this year. People seem to be mentioning South Korean writer Han Kang, but I can't see that happening either (possibly due to a personal bias that I'm not overly fond of her novels). I also can't see a split award happening, but if it does I won't complain.

Daniel del Real

Knausgaard isn’t going to win, this year (or likely ever). And I say this as someone who’s met him in person, has numerous signed books by him, and is a huge fan.

I don't know how you still dare to pronounce yourself with such categorical, conclusive sentences when you have miserably failed many times with your judgment and have been the laughingstock of the forum.
You're back but with the same smug, arrogant attitude that has been your signature since you entered the forum. Personally, I have no intentions to debate with such a self-centered, spoiled child persona as you.

Stevie B

Current Member
I usually just lurk here for good recommendations (thank you), but I may as well share a short list of who I think has a good chance at the Nobel this year—
Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o (now or never)
Nawal El Saadawi
Tahar Ben Jelloun
Duong Thu Huong
F. Sionil José
Milan Kundera & Ivan Klíma joint
César Aira
Ibrāhīm al-Kōnī
Ismail Kadare
Hélène Cixous
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (I know she's young, but I genuinely think there's a chance she'll be in serious contention)
Alain Mabanckou (this would be a long shot)

Along with Jelloun, these Moroccans might have a slight chance:
Abdallah Zrika
Abdellatif Laâbi
Mohammed Mrabet

With a side note Krasznahorkai probably has a better chance come 2024, 2025, etc... likewise with Anne Carson and Jon Fosse.

And I think Kamau Brathwaite would have been a fantastic choice had he not passed away earlier this year.

If they're leaning towards an African writer, I understand why, but the article could just be a diversion. Being said, I can't see the award going to a Chinese writer this year. People seem to be mentioning South Korean writer Han Kang, but I can't see that happening either (possibly due to a personal bias that I'm not overly fond of her novels). I also can't see a split award happening, but if it does I won't complain.
Thanks for joining in and sharing, hayden. Interesting list. I agree with you about Adichie having a chance even though she is very young compared to past winners. I think Mrabet is a much longer shot (and I had to double-check online to see that he's still kicking at 84 years of age.) The one unknown name on your list is Abdallah Zrika. Would you care to share any thoughts about his writing? By the way, I realize I'm in the minority on the Forum when it comes to this sentiment, but would anyone else be very disappointed if Jon Fosse were to win?

redhead

Blahblahblah
I don't know how you still dare to pronounce yourself with such categorical, conclusive sentences when you have miserably failed many times with your judgment and have been the laughingstock of the forum.
You're back but with the same smug, arrogant attitude that has been your signature since you entered the forum. Personally, I have no intentions to debate with such a self-centered, spoiled child persona as you.

Jeez dude, lay off him. He hasn’t been right before, but then many of us have failed miserably with our predictions in the past, myself included. And he wasn’t asking for a debate, just stating what his thoughts were. Yeah, he stated them definitively, but let’s not pretend they merit a response like that. Ironically, by coming back with a hot-headed reply like that to a somewhat banal message, you yourself come across as childish. I personally really appreciate Isa’s contributions to the forum, and it really annoys me how quickly some people are to jump on him.

Daniel del Real

Jeez dude, lay off him. He hasn’t been right before, but then many of us have failed miserably with our predictions in the past, myself included. And he wasn’t asking for a debate, just stating what his thoughts were. Yeah, he stated them definitively, but let’s not pretend they merit a response like that. Ironically, by coming back with a hot-headed reply like that to a somewhat banal message, you yourself come across as childish. I personally really appreciate Isa’s contributions to the forum, and it really annoys me how quickly some people are to jump on him.
We are all just speculating, and expressing our own thoughts & opinions about it. His way of disquialifying what other people say by being so unequivocal and omniscient is just annoying. He's just so egotistic and full of himself it just doesn't contribute to a healthy discussion or exchange of ideas.

Stevie B

Current Member
Why’d you be disappointed? Just curious!
Fosse's writing style doesn't appeal to me, but to be fair, I've only read sample pages so far, never a complete book. At one point, I was interested in reading Melancholy II, in part to check out Fosse, but also because it was translated into English by the late Eric Dickens, the leading contributor to WLF (7700 posts). But then I read some bits and pieces of Fosse's work and didn't think he'd be a writer for me. If I were to give Fosse more of a chance, Red, is there a starting point you'd recommend?

Last edited:

hayden

I think Mrabet is a much longer shot (and I had to double-check online to see that he's still kicking at 84 years of age.) The one unknown name on your list is Abdallah Zrika. Would you care to share any thoughts about his writing?

I feel like I should have noted that if Mrabet, Zrika or Laâbi were to win, I believe it would be jointly alongside Tahar Ben Jelloun. If a sole Moroccan writer is chosen, I can't see the any of them receiving it before Jelloun. I have an inkling this year they'll want to pick a writer from a country that's never won, and if they're leaning towards Africa, Morocco or Kenya could be particularly appealing (especially a non-English Kenyan).

I'm afraid Zrika would be an even longer shot than Mrabet, but he has a couple things going for him. The aforementioned possible African leaning for 2020 aside, Zrika's 40+ years of output is well-rounded. Although he's considered a poet first, he's written a handful of novels, several well-regarded plays, and even a few essays. To boot, like Thiong'o, he's spent time in jail for his writings, which may be the thing that piques the committee's interest the most. He's one of those writers who the committee has either had in whispered discussion over the years or has never considered at all.

One of his earlier books of poetry Rires de l’arbre à palabre, is probably the easiest to find (and coincidentally all I've read by him), but I'll warn you I'm not sure the English translation is easy to come by or even exists (if you speak French or Arabic you're in luck though). He has a loose, poignant and almost jazzlike style of poetry, which I personally enjoy. A lot of the poems are about freedom and equality. I haven't read his novels, but I'll be keeping an eye out if one comes along my path. Being said, he's the longest shot on that list by probably quite a bit, and I can't see the committee awarding him the Nobel if it wasn't a joint award. He's somewhat well-known in literary circles in France and Morocco, but I'm not sure how far he's reached outside of that. Although you'll find more results searching him by his Arabic name (عبد الله زريقة‎), you can find a small handful of English translations to his poems online, albeit sparse.

My list was give-or-take ordered in likelihood. I'd put most of my chips on the top five, but I think 2020 will be Thiong'o's year.

And while I would prefer to see Fosse win several years down the road, especially considering he's far from finished and still releasing a steady output, I won't be disappointed about it.

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
I think regulars here realize we're coming up to the best time of the year on WLF because speculation about potential Nobel Prize winners fuels posting activity. Even though I haven't gotten involved in those discussions to any large degree in the past, I view the annual boost in activity as an excellent opportunity to recruit new members and keep them posting here beyond October. One of the better ways to do this, I think, is to respect everyone's opinion when it comes to guessing winners. That doesn't mean one can't disagree with others. I just don't think it's ever helpful to suggest someone else if flat-out wrong. In the end, we're all just speculating, nobody really knows for sure (though I've long suspected Jayan is a Swedish spy and not an innocent poster claiming to hail from Bangalore). So even if I were to make a Nobel case down the road for Dan Brown or James Patterson, call me "misguided" or "confused," but just don't tell me or suggest I'm wrong. And as someone who has gotten snippy myself on these boards from time to time, I know I could do more to contribute a more cordial atmosphere (though I do try to lighten the mood with my feeble attempts at humor).

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
I think Isa just comes across as young and impetuous, as I'm sure most of us did when we were his age.

I still remember sticking it to my parents telling them "You are WRONG!!!" ☺

However, especially in these trying times, we should all try to be nice(r) to each other, and just a tad more patient and polite, and that goes for Isa too. State your opinions, stick by them (it's why we love hearing from you) but please listen to what other people have to say as well.

Bartleby

Fosse's writing style doesn't appeal to me, but to be fair, I've only read sample pages so far, never a complete book. At one point, I was interested in reading Melancholy II, in part to check out Fosse, but also because it was translated into English by the late Eric Dickens, the leading contributor to WLF (7700 posts). But then I read some bits and pieces of Fosse's work and didn't think he'd be a writer for me. If I were to give Fosse more of a chance, Red, is there a starting point you'd recommend?
Have you tried his plays? They’re these minimalist pieces, with few characters muttering short monologues that occasionally turn into dialogues, very few stage directions, making for an easy and very warm and satisfying melancholic read.

no wonder adventurous theatre directors love him, he gives them the freedom to go wild: after reading one of his plays I wondered how just two people on stage would be visually appealing, so I searched for a trailer of one production, and to my surprise, even though there’s no such direction whatsoever in the play, it now was filled with people dancing to wild music in these ostentatious sets; apparently they captured a certain quiet expressionist quality in the play and amped it up to eleven.

anyway, the plays are short, the dialogues (or monologues) are short and broken, and if you end up not liking it at least it won’t have taken much of your time :)

Stevie B

Current Member
Although you'll find more results searching him by his Arabic name (عبد الله زريقة‎), you can find a small handful of English translations to his poems online, albeit sparse.

Interesting that his name is translated into English as Zrika as the spelling in Arabic would seem to translate better as Zriga. I had a quick look at the Advanced Book Exchange website, by the way, and I could only find his books in French. Jelloun has been on my radar for years, though I haven't gotten around to reading him yet.

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Have you tried his plays? They’re these minimalist pieces, with few characters muttering short monologues that occasionally turn into dialogues, very few stage directions, making for an easy and very warm and satisfying melancholic read.

no wonder adventurous theatre directors love him, he gives them the freedom to go wild: after reading one of his plays I wondered how just two people on stage would be visually appealing, so I searched for a trailer of one production, and to my surprise, even though there’s no such direction whatsoever in the play, it now was filled with people dancing to wild music in these ostentatious sets; apparently they captured a certain quiet expressionist quality in the play and amped it up to eleven.

anyway, the plays are short, the dialogues (or monologues) are short and broken, and if you end up not liking it at least it won’t have taken much of your time :)
Thanks for the suggestion, Bartleby. Maybe I'll have better luck with the plays/scenes. Will let you know.

Liam

Administrator
I've long suspected Jayan is a Swedish spy and not an innocent poster claiming to hail from Bangalore
Yes, and I am really a Welsh intelligence agent based in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, :)

I've been collecting information on ALL of you for years...

Stevie B

Current Member
I've been collecting information on ALL of you for years...
Remember when I told the story of stealing the rare Dylan Thomas first edition from a university in Cardiff? I was just kidding. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.