Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leseratte

My final prediction, who will win: Homero Aridjis. ? ?

One of the best “new” writers I’ve had the pleasure of reading is Carlos Fonseca (I would give his Natural History the highest possible recommendation). Here is an insightful article on Aridjis’s work from Carlos Fonseca:

Whoever is announced as the 2021 laureate, I have faith the Nobel committee will come through with an author worthy of our consideration.
Be the winner the best and most deserving of all!
Que vença o melhor!!

Bartleby

I just got out of a small concert and trying to work a little bit before the announcement. I'm ready for the meeting when you guys are!
I've sent you, and anyone else who'd shown interest, the link. If more people want to watch the Nobel announcement together, just send me a private message :)

Davus

Reader
were even the texts the same?

Yes.

But why exactly should they give any clues? It would destroy the surprise and we all know that the Swedish Academy likes to surprise us all.

There were some leaks before but we know now that the person disgraced in the #meToo scandal was behind those leaks so...

Dante

Wild Reader
My final "3" (I'm cheating, I know. Sorry.):

1. Mia Couto / Ivan Vladislavic (if African)
2. Annie Ernaux / Maryse Condé (if Woman)
3. Mircea Cartarescu / Jon Fosse (if European)

Marba

Reader
Who I think will win: Jon Fosse (based on the rumour from a few days ago) or a non-European who does not write in English, (Mia Couto just to give a name)

Whom I want to see win: Thomas Pynchon, António Lobo Antunes, László Krasznahorkai, or someone writing in a language not yet part of the Nobel family (e.g. Ngugi wa Thiong'o, Mircea Cartarescu, Ko Un or rather someone else writing in Korean)

Longshot: David Grossman (based on a rumour about him from some years ago and the rumour that they closed the announcement for the general public because some controversial writer was on the shortlist (like Salman Rushdie or an Israeli writer))

Marba

Reader
Dagens Nyheter has an article on the dominance of the Western world concerning the literature prize and presents some possible laureates from other parts of the world.

Some possible laureates from Africa: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Scholastique Mukasonga, Ngugi wa Thiong'o, Mia Couto, Nuruddin Farah
Some possible laureates from Asia: Ko Un, Haruki Murakami, Liao Yiwu, Yan Lianke, Vikram Seth, Salman Rushdie, Adonis, David Grossman, Gerald Murnane, Vladimir Sorokin
Some possible laureates from Latin America: Jamaica Kincaid, Gloria Gervitz, Maryse Condé, Laura Restrepo

Surprised to see them consider Gerald Murnane and Vladimir Sorokin as Asians and Jamaica Kincaid as Latin American.

alik-vit

Reader
Some possible laureates from Asia: Ko Un, Haruki Murakami, Liao Yiwu, Yan Lianke, Vikram Seth, Salman Rushdie, Adonis, David Grossman, Gerald Murnane, Vladimir Sorokin

Surprised to see them consider Gerald Murnane and Vladimir Sorokin as Asians and Jamaica Kincaid as Latin American.
In this case, hello from Asia! GERVITZ and RESTREPO are new names and both of them seem interesting. Thanks, Marba!

Status
Not open for further replies.