Nobel Prizes in Literature 2019 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam

Administrator
does anyone have any recommendations for Peter Handke?
I really enjoyed his A Sorrow Beyond Dreams, a short biographical/autobiographical essay about his mother's life and suicide. The book achieves the impossible: you can palpably feel the pain underneath the words, but it never becomes mired in anger or sentimentality; it's just an honest attempt to understand the meaning of his mother's life and her death. I remember thinking it was "unputdownable," but then, it's only about 95 pages long, give or take, so you can read it in one sitting.

Liam

Administrator
To question or challenge the bien-pensants threatens the very conventions based on their twisted logic and is met with the repeated howling accusations of heresy.
Bret Easton Ellis talks about the same issue at some point in White, that these "culture critics" bent on social justice completely ignore the artistry and aesthetics of a given work of art (poem, painting, film, etc) and focus instead on the artist's perceived racism, or misogyny, or homophobia (or transphobia, or fat-phobia, or slut-phobia, whatever happens to be a hot button issue on that particular day). This results in people demanding to read books only about "likable characters," people "we can identify with" (WTF?!?!), stories that "teach us important social lessons," blah blah blah. It's what happens to a culture, Ellis says, when it no longer cares about, well, culture.

JCamilo

Reader
But then Liam, when it was not like that. The Romans didnt read Homer, they read Ovid and Virgil making the greek myths more suited for Romans, or what they liked more. Ulysses is not a hero to them. They almost make the Trojan winners or at least the destruction of Troy be a bless. Jesus became a european model, less and less jewish and then more popular. Artists belong to their time, not one step ahead or one behind, just as bad is demanding Dante to think from his tomb like us is to complain that culture is not ressonating with society.

I just hope we can go beyond Disney's marketing and really explore the perspectives that are being open.

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

I really enjoyed his A Sorrow Beyond Dreams, a short biographical/autobiographical essay about his mother's life and suicide. The book achieves the impossible: you can palpably feel the pain underneath the words, but it never becomes mired in anger or sentimentality; it's just an honest attempt to understand the meaning of his mother's life and her death. I remember thinking it was "unputdownable," but then, it's only about 95 pages long, give or take, so you can read it in one sitting.

Completely agree. I read it earlier this year and it's a captivating, very well structured narrative of his emotions while he makes a recount of his mother's life.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Thanks for the suggestions! I saw Self Accusation and part of Offending the Audience, and also got a copy of A Sorrow Beyond Dreams. The plays were really interesting. They didn't quite hit me on an emotional level, but then they clearly weren't meant to. Interested to give his novels another try.

That said, I'm pretty far from being an expert about Yugoslavia, bu that one site strikes me as being Milosevic apologism. And anyway, I don't know if Handke really needs any defense on this forum; I think most active members are in agreement that one should strive to separate art from the artist.

What's the meaning of freedom of speech, then, when every time one opens one's mouth in contradiction of conventional wisdom, one is pilloried, sees one's career threatened, and finds oneself ostracized to the point of becoming an outcast? What's the point really of freedom of speech, if nobody hears you, or hears you and tars and feathers you?

This one part from that article stuck out at me. I mean...freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to have a platform or anything. You can speak up but no one is obligated to listen to you. And if they do listen to you and don't like what they hear, they can exercise their freedom of speech and call you out for what you said. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from the consequences of your speech (consequences here meaning public opinion turning against someone and similar things, not actions from the government or anything like that). And the Heinrich Heine Prize situation is different imo, but the article isn't just referring to that.

It's also kind of ridiculous that the author tries to benignly sum up Handke's views on Serbia as just going against "conventional wisdom."

This results in people demanding to read books only about "likable characters," people "we can identify with" (WTF?!?!), stories that "teach us important social lessons," blah blah blah. It's what happens to a culture, Ellis says, when it no longer cares about, well, culture.

I dislike cancel culture as well, but what's the issue with this part? Like JCamilo points out, a lot of this isn't new. And art has never existed in a vacuum, it's always had to react to societal pressures and demands to varying extents, and a lot of art has purposefully featured likable characters who the audience can identify with lessons as a result.

Last edited:

redhead

Blahblahblah
I’ve never read her myself, but she’s been on my radar for a while after a poster loved two of her collections (don’t think they were too fond of one of her other books, though; I remember getting the impression from the post that Glück seemed a bit uneven). But your post gave me the motivation to finally check her out. Will update with my impressions, hopefully I can get to her next week.

Btw, Krasznahorkai has a few books out, too. Just started The Melancholy of Resistance. I’ve always wanted to read him, but his prose was also so dense that I kept putting him off because I felt I couldn’t give his stuff the attention it needed. I’ve finally gotten around to him, and so far he’s lived up to the hype. In addition to the Glück, I got out The Last Wolf and Hermann from the library. Has anyone read that?

Liam

Administrator
The Last Wolf: Has anyone read that?
Yeah, and it was a bit underwhelming. I think that Satantango is the best place to start with LK, but The Melancholy of Resistance comes second (no worries if you reverse the two). The lengthier and denser works should be saved for last, as I don't think they represent LK at his best: Seiobo, The World Goes On, and the upcoming Baron. If you can get your hands on a copy, AnimalInside is absolutely staggering (and mercifully short). Being out of print, however, I see that secondhand copies (in new condition) go for over $100, it's crazy!

Bartleby

Yeah, and it was a bit underwhelming. I think that Satantango is the best place to start with LK, but The Melancholy of Resistance comes second (no worries if you reverse the two). The lengthier and denser works should be saved for last, as I don't think they represent LK at his best: Seiobo, The World Goes On, and the upcoming Baron. If you can get your hands on a copy, AnimalInside is absolutely staggering (and mercifully short). Being out of print, however, I see that secondhand copies (in new condition) go for over $100, it's crazy!
I guess it will vary according to personal taste. I've seen some articles saying Seiobo and War and War to be his best, while stating his earlier stuff to be more dense...

I found this one now, tho I remember reading others saying similar things: https://www.wbur.org/npr/224456236/a-goddess-descends-to-art-in-seiobo-there-below (I'd quote the part I found most relevant, but it's quite a short text, you can read it all :)

Last edited:

Ludus

Reader
I got out The Last Wolf and Hermann from the library. Has anyone read that?

I did, my first and only book by Krasznahorkai. Not the last, for sure. I loved both stories, but liked "Herman" better. I have Melancholy and Satantango in my tbr list, both The Last Wolf and Herman made me excited to read more.

D

Deleted member 83959

Y’all they are 100% never going to give it to Handke.

Stevie B

Current Member
Btw, Krasznahorkai has a few books out, too. Just started The Melancholy of Resistance. I’ve always wanted to read him, but his prose was also so dense that I kept putting him off because I felt I couldn’t give his stuff the attention it needed.
That surprises me, Red. Since you've extolled the writings of authors such as Jon Fosse and Can Xue in the past, I've always pegged you as a master of dense prose. ?

Stevie B

Current Member
If you can get your hands on a copy, AnimalInside is absolutely staggering (and mercifully short). Being out of print, however, I see that secondhand copies (in new condition) go for over $100, it's crazy!

Over the past couple of years, I've noticed many of LK's books becoming increasingly scarce, and their online prices have, in some cases, skyrocketed. When Satantango came out, for instance, I bought a UK first edition signed by LK and translator George Szirtes for $40. Now, the few signed copies that are still available are in the $300 range. Even unsigned paperback editions of some titles are increasingly uncommon and fetch high prices. This buying trend makes me wonder if there's a sense out there that LK will be a future Nobel winner.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Y’all they are 100% never going to give it to Handke.

I hate to say anything definite about who will and who won’t win, since in the past the opposite generally happens, but yeah I agree. Despite exploring more of his work recently, I still have major doubts that the SA will be able to look past his political statements.

That surprises me, Red. Since you've extolled the writings of authors such as Jon Fosse and Can Xue in the past, I've always pegged you as a master of dense prose. ?

I’m actually kind of surprised it’s taken me so long, too! Krasznahorkai’s been on my radar for a while and like you mention, I love dense writers like him. I took a stab at Seiobo There Below a few years ago but most of my reading time back then was on a bus during the morning commute which made it incredibly hard to concentrate, so I had to drop that. Will hopefully get back to Seiobo later this year.

Nirvrithi

Reader
With two getting the prize this year and in the backdrop of all that has happened with the Academy of late (Bob Dylan’s prize and the Academy scandal), speculation should reach unprecedented levels this year. My probables list this year is rather a long list, but let me warn you this is a merit list and not based on some strange logic the Academy applies year after year:
1, Horacio Castellanos Moya (El Salvador) – limited oeuvre, but piercing in impact. His “Dance with the Snakes” and “Senselessness” have no parallels anywhere.
2. Zoran Zivkovic (Serbia) – The Papyrus trilogy made us sit up and take note. What he wrote later confirmed the impression that the underlying sardonic humour is truly 21[SUP]st[/SUP] centuriyish and he is in a space of his own.
3. Jaan Kaplinski (Estonia): If a poet gets the nod this year it could be this immensely talented and perceptive voice from a little known part of the world.
4. Mario Bellatin (Mexico): His “Jacob the Mutant” had a feel quite unlike the Latin American experience we anticipate from the South of America. The English translation of his latest, “Uruguayan Book of Dead” is yet to reach me. But, going by reports it is a major work of recent years and that yardstick of the Academy should suit his candidature very well.
5. Mircea Cartarescu (Romania): His “Nostalgia” and the more recent “Blinding” with its experimental mix of memoir and fiction and the consummate craft employed to achieve a seamless blend that leaves you gasping at times makes him an ideal candidate on sheer literary merit. He has all the major awards with him except the Booker and Nobel. Serious candidate, sure.
6. Mia Couto (Mozambique): If anyone with African nationality should win, it could be him. His “Sleepwalking” woke us up from slumber and made us rub our eyes. Whatever he wore subsequently until the recent “Pensativities” have been consistent with the first impression. The intellectual depth and the broad spectrum that we find in “Pensativities” is truly matchless.
7. Jon Fosse (Norway): If a major playwright is honoured this year, it should be Jon Fosse. His cryptic and atmospheric writing carries a unique stamp of authenticity and is truly international in its emotional appeal.
8. William T Vollman (USA): The eclectic spread of his writing and scholarship based on real life experience should make him a dear choice. Controversial, unconventional and often provocative he stands on a unique pedestal. His seven volume treatise on violence is one of its kind. I have only read the abridged one volume version, but that is truly revealing. His writings on environmental issues and a whole lot of stuff that we should be concerned about make him a deserved candidate more for his non-fiction writing than for his novels and short stories.
9. Dubravka Ugresic (Croatia): She could be the most likely female candidate this year. Playful, inventive, entertaining, perceptive, experimental – you can use an many adjectives to qualify her writing. Her publications in the last five years have all received critical acclaim. So that makes her hot property this year.
10. Gabriela Adamesteanu (Romania): Another female candidate whose immense talent hasn’t yet received the attention it deserves. “It is not the future that brings us the biggest surprises, but the past which all our lives we never stop rereading”: this incisive quote from her latest novel ‘A Love Story and a Book about Love’ can be a beginning for anyone unaccustomed to her. History and social drama find a dexterous mix in her writing and we get trained to read new meanings in old ideologies and give new interpretations to historical events. Her “Wasted Morning” is a truly representative work.
11. Antonio Munoz Molina (Spain): Deserves the prize for the sheer sweep of talent that marks out his works. His “Like a fading Shadow’ and “The Manuscript of Ashes” are vastly different in its theme, treatment of subject and the craft employed, but they are real monumental works of art in their own right. Who can deny the sparkle? Often cinematic in its visual images, his writing is a celebration of life much like we have seen in Marquez.
12. Hamid ismailov: (Kyrgyzstan) Versatile artist who has dabbled in experimental work, fusion arts involving music, poetry and other forms. None has succeeded as much as Ismailov is reconciling Central Asian literary traditions with contemporary international realities. His “A Poet and Bin Laden” expertly blends reality and fiction that leaves you with a feeling that today’s fiction can be tomorrow’s reality. His recent works “Dead Lake” and “Devil’s Dance” are substantial creative efforts going by reports (I am yet to read them). But the parameters of the Academy fits him well.
The common thread for all the candidates above is their age bracket: they all fall within the age group of 55 to 75. That remains an unannounced preferred age group for the Academy.
Many others get eliminated in the race for reasons which have nothing to do with merit.
Olga Tokarczuk and Laszlo Krasznahorkai have won too many prizes recently and have been too much in the news. So likely to be eliminated in the race.
Ngugi wa thiong'o and Murakami have been leading speculation in the past and have remained betting favourites. So no way for them. Besides, Murakami is too voluminous and has become predictive these days in his writings.
Adunis, very deserving but age might go against him
Javier Marias, Enrique Vila-Matas and Antonio Lobo Antunes too have been favourites for some time. If one goes by the predilections of the Academy of late, their overriding popularity might work against them although all of them deserve to be honoured.
There are three Africans who truly deserves to be in the favoured list: Abdellatif Laabi, the Moroccan poet, Nuruddin Farah, the Somalian novelist and Nawal El Saadawi, the Egyptian crusader. But Laabi hasn’t written anything major in the last few years and Nuruddin Farah has been much discussed earlier too. Nawal El Saadawi is too old to be considered
Can Xue could be an Asian prospect, but with Ishiguro of Asian stock winning the last prize, it is unlikely that she will be looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.