Our Personal Libraries

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
I found that book a few years back at some book fair. I just could not resist the 'old time' flavor of it. I think it dates back to the 1950's or something like that.

Here's the entry for 'Books': to preserve from mildew. A few drops of strong perfumed oil sprinkled in the bookcase will preserve books from damp and mildew.

Last edited:

Leseratte

A very messy botton shelf:
8th book :Seeing (Portuguese: José Saramago. Ensaio sobre a Lucidez)-new, still unread

1657719560189.png

5th book- Egon Mathiesen and Alf Raddatz .Sort of:The cat with the blue eyes ( A piece of childhood I couldn´t get read of)
1657719168569.png

Stevie B

Current Member
Until I pulled this copy of Mikhail Saltykov's The Golovlyov Family from my bookshelf, I hadn't looked at the cover in years and I had forgotten about its enjoyably creepy cover art. I read the novel on my own during my college years - not this copy, but a 1961 Signet paperback translated by the questionably named Andrew MacAndrew. More recently, New York Review Books put the book back into print with a newer translation by Natalie Duddington (another unfortunate name as she was likely nicknamed "Dud"). Could be time for a reread.

1657727152707.png

Last edited:

Leseratte

Until I pulled this copy of Mikhail Saltykov's The Golovlyov Family from my bookshelf, I hadn't looked at the cover in years and I had forgotten about its enjoyably creepy cover art. I read the novel on my own during my college years - not this copy, but a 1961 Signet paperback translated by the questionably named Andrew MacAndrew. More recently, New York Review Books put the book back into print with a newer translation by Natalie Duddington (another unfortunate name as she was likely nicknamed "Dud"). Could be time for a reread.

View attachment 1263
I don´t know the book but loved the cover.

Stevie B

Current Member

tiganeasca

Here's an interesting article on the author and his writing that was published earlier this year:
Curiously enough, I used to have two different versions of that particular book, the Duddington translation and the Cioran translation whose cover StevieB posted. I hadn't read either one for a long time and finally decided there was little point to having two separate translations and so I sat down one day and spent some time comparing them. While I cannot speak to which one is more "accurate" (whatever that might mean), I did decide that the Cioran translation was much "smoother" and easier to read. Something about the Duddington was...clunky. (Do I risk saying that it was a "dud"?) So I gave away the Duddington. For what it may also be worth, her translation was made in the mid-1950s and his in the late 1970s, though I suspect the difference in fluidity has less to do with when the translation was made than with the translators' themselves.

tiganeasca

I forgot to mention which is the eighth book from the left on the bottom shelf: War and Peace. Which, I must confess, I am actually considering re-reading. I remember enjoying my version (the Maude translation) but I will confess that the sheer size remains offputting, even though I've read it once already.

Stevie B

Current Member
Curiously enough, I used to have two different versions of that particular book, the Duddington translation and the Cioran translation whose cover StevieB posted. I hadn't read either one for a long time and finally decided there was little point to having two separate translations and so I sat down one day and spent some time comparing them. While I cannot speak to which one is more "accurate" (whatever that might mean), I did decide that the Cioran translation was much "smoother" and easier to read. Something about the Duddington was...clunky. (Do I risk saying that it was a "dud"?) So I gave away the Duddington. For what it may also be worth, her translation was made in the mid-1950s and his in the late 1970s, though I suspect the difference in fluidity has less to do with when the translation was made than with the translators' themselves.
Thanks for the heads up on the translations. I incorrectly assumed the Duddington translation was the newest since it was the one NYRB used. Guess I can go ahead and read the copy I already own.

Leseratte

Here's an interesting article on the author and his writing that was published earlier this year:
Thanks. Looked him up, he is hopefully public domain.

View attachment 1263
Thanks for the article. Here it is, not the most recent translation though:

A Family of Noblemen by Mikhail Saltykov

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/44237

Liam

Administrator
Enough with the translations, people!! Just learn Russian already and read all of the wonderful Russian classics IN THE ORIGINAL!!! ?

Liam

Administrator
^True, everything declines and inflects, and then there are exceptions to the rule, and then there are exceptions to the exception: good luck mastering all of that!!! ?

I'm lucky that I learned Russian early enough (because of my mother); but in terms of literature, let me just say, reading Marina Tsvetaeva in the original is like a kick to the head. You will never be the same again. I consider myself lucky that I happen to know and easily read and understand this language, the rewards are truly immense! :)