Our Personal Libraries

Stevie B

Current Member
So how many books are in your library? Although there's the general idea that bigger is better, in some things, anyway, I also think that when any collection becomes too big, it can seem obsessive.

My collection size has stayed pretty steady over the last few years (roughly 900+ books) because I don't want to add any more bookshelves to my house. When I get a new book, that means something has to come off a shelf to make room for it. Unfortunately, that process is becoming more difficult because I really like the books in my collection.

I'm curious how many books are in your collections. Also, what steps, if any, do you take to ensure your collection doesn't grow out control.

Leseratte

Well, the last time I counted my books, that was about twenty years ago. I was then the happy possessor of let´s say 800 books and I knew exactly on which place of the shelf it was. And what is more: I had read almost all of them. After that I moved twice and things went slowly out of control. Books arrived and went, my shelfs were still thematic, but it isn´t so easy to locate a book when you don´t remember title and author any more. And meanwhile someone invented the e-books. So all I can affirm with certainty is that they are still a lot and no, I haven´t read all of them. On the contrary: I have arrived at a stage, when a book you haven´t read for some time becomes a new book again. What can be considered a gain.

Liam

Administrator
Which books would you personally include in the final count?

In my case, I usually exclude those books (mainly academic ones) that I know I'm holding onto only temporarily: I need them for my current thesis work, and will be getting rid of them (i.e. giving them away to other students in my department who might need them) after I graduate.

Do you include dictionaries/encyclopedias?

Do you include children's books?

Do you include booklet-sized paperbacks (it was once fashionable to publish stand-alone little essays, 30 to 60 pages, in booklet form).

Do you include cute little bibelots (of which I have a lot!), like a palm-sized Twelve Days of Christmas, or something?

Questions, questions.

Stevie B

Current Member
Which books would you personally include in the final count?

In my case, I usually exclude those books (mainly academic ones) that I know I'm holding onto only temporarily: I need them for my current thesis work, and will be getting rid of them (i.e. giving them away to other students in my department who might need them) after I graduate.

Do you include dictionaries/encyclopedias?

Do you include children's books?

Do you include booklet-sized paperbacks (it was once fashionable to publish stand-alone little essays, 30 to 60 pages, in booklet form).

Do you include cute little bibelots (of which I have a lot!), like a palm-sized Twelve Days of Christmas, or something?

Questions, questions.
Offhand, I'd say you make the call, unless you want me to consult my lawyer for further guidance. ?

In the big "floor to ceiling" bookshelf it's a historical atlas from my late teens.

In the other much smaller bookshelf of the living room, it's

515S5ZH002L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

alik-vit

Reader
How much did you purchase this shelf? It's a very beautiful.
I'm not sure about its aesthetic quality, but it's neutral, which is important, because it's situated in the bedroom. And when you have bookshelves in the bedroom, all what you can do - hide it, if you can't hide it, .... you know)

Last edited:

alik-vit

Reader
Maybe this series can be interesting for you, folks. Its name is "The laureates of the Nobel Prize in literature". It was published in Russia in 1990s. The inaugural idea was to devote one volume to each laureate. But financial default of 1998 was а heavy blow for the project, that so last volumes were shared omnibus of two (or even three) laureates and there were published two anthologies: Poets and Playwrights. Still, it's very impressive achievement of our publishing industry: 52 volumes in good hardcovers and with good translations. Most part of volumes have Nobel speech/lecture as an addendum. It covers the time from 1901 to 1997. Unfortunately, some volumes were never published: Theodor Mommsen, Rudolf Eucken, Roger Martin du Gard and Camilo Jose Sela. I began to read and collect these volumes, when I was 15-16 years old and it was my first real experience in "serious" reading. From that time I into this stuff))))

Attachments

• 20220913_114247.jpg
    20220913_114247.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 5

Leseratte

The idea of this thread is to post photos of our own libraries, if we have any.

my bookshelves I had them recently made from the wood of an old huge wardrobe I had my whole life, in which space I mostly used to fill with books anyway... and it’s real wood so the stuff is quite resistant.

Anyway, I found this would be a nice idea. We had a similar topic on a literary forum here (that unfortunately eventually died) and it was quite fun.

most of my titles are in Portuguese (either written in the language or translated into it from some other language other than English — save for a very few of sentimental, and aesthetic, value I still stick with), and my phone hasn’t got the best camera built in it, so apologies in advance; but here we go!

ah, I also am not very good in arranging books together. I see some people organising their shelves by colour or other methods but I like to, in general, keep authors side by side, don’t like to separate them...

this is the full view, taking a whole three metres of one of my bedroom
View attachment 676
These next two offer a closer look at it:

View attachment 678
View attachment 677

EDIT: I uploaded some clearer photos here.
I am very shortsighted, so I couldn´t identifie most of the books (I love doing that). But, even so, I spotted a huge volume with "Bob Dylan" on it.

Leseratte

Your book collection is truly gorgeous, B!!! ?

I am somewhat hard-pressed, as most of my books are currently in my parents' house in NYC. I rent a small room in an otherwise large apartment in Boston, and I have to share it with two other people (the apartment that is, not the room, haha), so I can't exactly put books in the designated "communal" areas.

My current library reflects a couple of things: my academic pursuits (so lots of boring titles you've never heard of, probably), and perennial favorites that I simply MUST have with me at all times: my favorite poetry collections, Virginia Woolf, and a number of Russian classics (I am fortunate enough to be able to read the language, so I buy all my Russians au naturel, LOL). My desk is a bloody mess, so please don't judge!

And of course, none of this would be complete without a photo of Dorian, a walking literary reference, as well as my constant companion in all my trials and tribulations (though right now he left me in order to hang out on the couch with one of my roommates, the little traitor!), ☺

View attachment 685

View attachment 684

View attachment 686

View attachment 687
And what about Daisy?