Romans-Fleuves

By my standards, yes, trilogies count. I recently purchased Olivia Manning’s Balkan Trilogy and Melvyn Bragg’s Cumbrian Trilogy.

I like very long individual novels, too; I like the big canvas.

The Guyana Quartet is definitely on my radar. Wilson Harris is a most challenging writer!

Benny Profane

New names:

Günter Grass - Danzig Trilogy;
Joseph McElroy - Women and Men;
Thomas Mann - Joseph and His Brothers;
Henry Williamson - A Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight;
Anthony Powell - A Dance to The Music of Time;
Tolkien - Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarilion (Middle-Earth)

Etc...

Joseph and His Brothers is definitely something I want to read, although The Magic Mountain will come first.

I think of Women and Men as a meganovel. It seems to me that one crucial characteristic of a roman-fleuve is that it be published in separate volumes over a period of years.

Liam

Administrator
Pretty much all of fantasy is a roman-fleuve as authors are expected to continue writing sequels if the first book proves to be successful: Earthsea, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, etc.

But in terms of realist depictions of human life, I love the abovementioned quartet by A.S. Byatt written over the course of 25 years: you can see the characters change, but you can also see Byatt herself change, as a thinker, as a writer, as a stylist: all four books are so different in execution!

I know Patrick meant this thread to revolve around books alone, but I would like to mention three cinematic achievements that I think are peerless (because, again, you can see the actors change, and grow, and mature, and become different human beings, just like their characters!):

- the Bill Douglas Trilogy (My Childhood, My Ain Folk, My Way Home)

- Truffaut's Adventures of Antoine Doinel (1959-1979)

- Richard Linklater's the "Before" trilogy: Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight (1995-2013)

Astonishing achievements, all of them! :)

I once saw all five Antoine Doinel films in one weekend, thanks to the Film Center of the Art Institute of Chicago, and it was a highlight of my filmgoing life.

I heard that Linklater & Co. are going to make one more Before film?

And on the subject of fleuvish films, the amazing Up documentary series deserves a mention. Nine films to date, with 63 Up the most recent in 2019. Director Michael Apted has now passed away, but I hope he left plans for others to soldier on with 70 Up. One’s emotional investment in these 14 individuals that were first seen in 7 Up in 1964 is pretty intense.

Ben Jackson

I have read the first volume of Updike famous Rabbitt tetralogy, Rabbitt Run, a wonderful novel.

Pat, The Magic Mountain is a classic work. Read it last year. As usual, it's has the characteristic, or usual ingredients, of Mann major works: long novels with 19th century narrative interwoven with long, philosophical discussion. In this novel, it's about time and what it does to the universe. Great work.

Thanks guys for all the recommendations.

Mise Eire

Reader

Last edited:
I had completely forgotten to list Johannes V. Jensen’s six-volume The Long Journey among the romans-fleuves! Knopf published a one-volume edition when he won the Nobel Prize in 1944, copies are a little pricey but that edition is downloadable at the Internet Archive.

Now, although Jensen was NOT a fascist or a Nazi, still I can’t imagine that The Long Journey would hold much appeal for contemporary readers, presenting as it does a Nordic writer’s racial-evolutionary theories (and being very pro-Christopher Columbus!). But of course, that is precisely what makes me more interested in it: It is way out of fashion. I like my past to BE the past, warts and all.

Three more!

1) I don’t think we’ve mentioned Jean-Paul Sartre’s The Roads to Freedom tetralogy.

2) Pak Kyong-ni’s Land extends to 16 or 20 volumes (depending on your reference source). The first group of volumes was translated as Land a few years ago. Maybe the rest will appear eventually?

3A4458AF-0B3F-480D-B9D0-3EE091B8777F.jpeg

3) i just thought of John Edgar Wideman’s Homewood Trilogy because I was talking about my book clerk days in another thread, and these were paperbacks that I promoted.

5545904E-28EC-4FFF-BCBC-267C3A7E0E50.jpeg

Last edited:

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
One day I found three of these in a charity shop and when I found out it was a tetralogy, I obviously had to source the fourth.

It's the Women and the City series (Norvik Press) by Kerstin Ekman, formerly of Seat 15 (until voluntarily and officially leaving in 2018) in the Swedish Academy.

In order:
  1. Witches' Rings
  2. The Spring
  3. The Angel House
  4. City of Light

These are the covers I have (that third is a stinker!) although they've since been rebranded (see links above) and look nicer.

Attachments

• image0-6.jpeg
    image0-6.jpeg
    594.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    661.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 0

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Another:

The Buru Quartet by Pramoedya Ananta Toer, originally recited orally to cellmates apparently, while a political prisoner in Indonesia.

1. This Earth of Mankind
  2. Child of All Nations
  3. Footsteps
  4. House of Glass

Attachments

• image3-2.jpeg
    image3-2.jpeg
    620.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image2-1.jpeg
    image2-1.jpeg
    585.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image1-1.jpeg