Romans-Fleuves

All of those are great additions! The Ekman and Pistanek series are completely new to me, and although the Pramoedya and Smith series were on my want lists, it had been a long while since I had thought of them.

One more for you @Patrick Murtha , still undergoing translation from Estonian.

A pentalogy called Truth and Justice by A.H. Tammsaare (1878-1940).

It's being put out by a small press in Glasgow called Vagabond Voices, with the second volume having come out this week

I have the first volume on my iPad. I haven’t read it yet, but I am thrilled that the second volume is appearing, because I frankly thought it might never happen.

The first volume of the translation came out in 2014 from a different publisher, Haute Culture (Stockholm), as Andres and Pearu, and that was when I got the PDF, I forget how. Then in 2019 I became aware that it was re-issued as Vargamäe, from Vagabond Voices. Same translators listed. I didn’t hear more after that, so I thought, this first volume is all we’re ever going to get.

Last edited:

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah.
The first volume of the translation came out in 2014 from a different publisher, Haute Culture (Stockholm), as Andres and Pearu, and that was when I got the PDF, I forget how. Then in 2019 I became aware that it was re-issued as Vargamäe, from Vagabond Voices. Same translators listed. I didn’t hear more after that, so I thought, this first volume is all we’re ever going to get.
It turns out to have been delayed as the first translation was dumped and a new one rendered. With any luck, one a year from now to 2025.

In other news, there was a movie made in 2019, now getting its UK premiere this Sunday.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that is very interesting. I hadn’t noticed that the translators were different on Volume II.
I'm not sure if it was the same translator(s) as the first volume, just that they didn't think it was good enough. The example given was to do with "a field of orchards", which didn't make sense, as its either a field or an orchard, and was due to some mistranslation of an Estonian homonym that could also mean enclosure. Guessing there were many more mistranslations.

Forgot two by Anthony Burgess: The Long Day Wanes (trilogy) and The Enderby Quartet.

Also: Henry Handel Richardson’s The Fortunes of Richard Mahony (trilogy); and Olivia Manning’s Levant Trilogy, which follows and links to her already-mentioned Balkan Trilogy, the six novels being known collectively as Fortunes of War.