International Booker Prize

Morbid Swither

Gospondinov's Time Shelter was acclaimed last year as one of the best novels from European fiction published last year, so I think I would look for that one alongside Conde and Kurkov's novel.
Those are the three I’m most interested in as well. Though, I am looking forward to the American release of “Whale,” forthcoming from Archipelago Books. — I am also intrigued by “The Birthday Party,” and I’ve been wanting to read more from Perumal Murugan, because I love The Story of a Goat so much!

I recommend “Boulder” — the only one I’ve read yet.

Benny Profane

"This year’s 13-strong longlist contains three languages – Bulgarian, Catalan and Tamil – that have never appeared before. In total, the list comprises 11 languages with three writers – GauZ’, Zou Jingzhi and Amanda Svensson – whose work has appeared in English for the first time." (The Guardian) (I have not linked the the actual Booker site because they now require a subscription [apparently free in exchange for your e-mail address] to read their content.)

Maryse Condé, The Gospel According to the New World (translated by Richard Philcox from French)
Andrey Kurkov, Jimi Hendrix Live in Lviv, (translated by Reuben Woolley from Russian)
Perumal Murugan, Pyre (translated by Aniruddhan Vasudevan from Tamil)
Eva Baltasar, Boulder (translated by Julie Sanches from Catalan)
Cheon Myeong-kwan, Whale (translated by Chi-Young Kim from Korean)
GauZ', Standing Heavy (translated by Frank Wynne from Ivoirian)
Georgi Gospodinov, Time Shelter (translated by Angela Rodel from Bulgarian)
Vigdis Hjorth, Mother Dead (translated by Charlotte Barslund from Norwegian)
Laurent Mauvignier, The Birthday Party (translated byt Daniel Levin Becker from French)
Clemens Meyer, While We Were Dreaming (translated by Katy Derbyshire from German)
Guadalupe Nettel, Still Born (translated by Rosalind Harvey from Spanish)
Amanda Svensson, A System So Magnificent It Is Blinding (translated by Nichola Smalley from Swedish)
Zou Jingzhi, Ninth Building (translated by Jeremy Tiang from Chinese)
Cool longlist! Some names I have some familiarity such as Maryse Condé, Andrey Kurkov, Vigdis Hjorth and Georgi Gospodinov. The rest of these authors is unknown for me.

Edit: Guadalupe Nettel has two books translated into Portuguese.

Last edited:

sibkron

Sorry it's not in the list: Solenoid by Mircea Cărtărescu, The Garden of Seven Twilights by Mikel de Palol, A Mountain to the North, A Lake to The South, Paths to the West, A River to the East by László Krasznahorkai and Sea of Eden by Andrés Ibáñez. I'm interested in the works of Murugan, Baltasar, Gospodinov, Mauvignier, Meyer and Nettel.

Morbid Swither

Sorry it's not in the list: Solenoid by Mircea Cărtărescu, The Garden of Seven Twilights by Mikel de Palol, A Mountain to the North, A Lake to The South, Paths to the West, A River to the East by László Krasznahorkai and Sea of Eden by Andrés Ibáñez. I'm interested in the works of Murugan, Baltasar, Gospodinov, Mauvignier, Meyer and Nettel.

I was very, very shocked that Solenoid was not included, but then it occurred to me that its a UK based prize. Sean Cotter's Solenoid is published by Deep Vellum in Dallas, TX, so I think MAYBE this could explain its omission. The Garden of Seven Twilights was published THIS year, 2023.

Daniel del Real

Was sad to learn this from The Guardian's article on the list:

"Maryse Condé .... dictated her nominated novel The Gospel According to the New World to her husband and translator Richard Philcox, as she has a degenerative neurological disorder that makes it difficult to speak and see."
I was confused to see this novel on the shortlist since I thought it was an old one titled La Colonie du Nouveau Monde, a novel from 1993. Don't know why she picked a very similar title for her 2021 L'Évangile du nouveau monde.

Bartleby

This year's shortlist:

Boulder - Eva Baltasar (Spain) & Julia Sanches – (And Other Stories)

Whale - Cheon Myeong-kwan (South Korea) & Chi-Young Kim – (Europa Editions)

The Gospel According to the New World - Maryse Condé (Guadeloupe) & Richard Philcox – (World Editions)

Standing Heavy - GauZ’ (Côte d’Ivoire) & Frank Wynne – (MacLehose Press)

Time Shelter - Georgi Gospodinov (Bulgaria) & Angela Rodel – (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)

Still Born - Guadalupe Nettel (Mexico) & Rosalind Harvey – (Fitzcarraldo Editions)

The winner will be announced on 23 May.

"They chose the longlist from 134 books published between 1 May 2022 and 30 April 2023 and submitted to the prize by publishers."

Something strange here? A futuristic list?

it's pretty standard practice to allow submission of titles not yet published, up to a near point in the future. the english-language booker often has novels on the longlist which aren't yet published, but would be published by the time of the shortlist/final announcement. it often results in the pub date being brought forward by a few weeks.

Leseratte

it's pretty standard practice to allow submission of titles not yet published, up to a near point in the future. the english-language booker often has novels on the longlist which aren't yet published, but would be published by the time of the shortlist/final announcement. it often results in the pub date being brought forward by a few weeks.
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying @namelesshere.

Ben Jackson

The winner of the 2023 International Booker Prize is Time Shelter - Georgi Gospodinov (Bulgaria) translated by Angela Rodel.

I said it four or five posts earlier that Gospodinov had a chance. And he has won. Time Shelter was acclaimed in Europe as one of Europe's finest novels last year.